The Order of Grimm [WRITTEN] (13/?)

Tinkerer

Hello fine peoples!

These cards actually come from a story concept that myself and a friend have been discussing for years. I decided to run with the concept and give them a mechanic loosely based on the monster Helpoemer.

Unlike the usual way I post these, I'm planning on releasing a few at a time rather than all of 'em at once, so for now, here's the first five!

Order of Grimm - Distortionist

DARK *

Fiend/Effect

If this card is in the GY because it was sent there by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card, it gains this effect:

- You can add 1 "Grimm" card from your GY to your hand except "Order of Grimm - Distortionist". You can only gain this effect of "Order of Grimm - Distortionist" once per turn.

0/0

Order of Grimm - Nihilmancer

DARK ****

Fiend/Effect

If this card is in the GY because it was sent there by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card, it gains this effect:

- Decrease the ATK/DEF of all monsters your opponent controls by 300.

1900/1100

Order of Grimm - Unternal

DARK ***

Fiend/Effect

- Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: You can Special Summon 1 "Grimm Token" (Fiend/DARK/Level 1). The ATK/DEF of "Grimm Tokens" equal the number of "Grimm" cards in your GY x 200.

1000/1000

Grimmace - Lord of the Order

DARK 10*

Fiend/Effect

This card is also always treated as a "Grimmoire" card. (Quick Effect): You can tribute 2 monsters; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY, but destroy it during the End Phase. You can only Special Summon 1 "Grimmace - Lord of the Order" per turn this way. If this card is in the GY because it was sent there by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card, it gains this effect:

- You can send 1 "Grimm" card from your hand or Deck to the GY. You can only gain this effect of "Grimmace - Lord of the Order" once per turn.

3000/3000

Grimmoire of Pain

Spell

Discard 1 card, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

That's it so far. These could end up becoming really dangerous really quickly, so I want to take some time to think about how to keep things in check.

If you have any suggestions for names, or if you have any other comments n' critique, feel free to post. All help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Here's the next batch!

Order of Grimm - Uncanny Jester

DARK *

Fiend/Effect

- Once per turn: You can draw 1 card then discard 1 card.

0/0

Order of Grimm - The Grotesque

DARK ****

Fiend/Effect

- All "Grimm" monsters you control gain 300 ATK/DEF.

1950/0

Grimmson - Son of Grimmace

DARK 7*

Fiend/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: You can target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects, and if the target is a monster, its ATK becomes 0. If this card is in the GY because it was sent there by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card, it gains this effect:

- (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card.

2500/2000

Grimmoire of the Rift

Spell

Pay 500 LP; excavate cards from the top of your Deck until you excavate a Fiend monster. If there is a "Grimmoire" card among the excavated cards, you can add 1 of them to your hand, then send the excavated Fiend monster to the GY. Shuffle the remaining excavated cards into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Grimmoire of the Rift" per turn.

11 hours ago, The Old Charlelot said:

I like it so far. One thing though. I think you should add a clause in Distortionist's effect that prevents it from adding itself back into the hand. Could make for a nasty loop imo.

Sorry, I didn't see your post yesterday!

Thanks. Even though I don't imagine I'll make any "Grimmoire" cards that will facilitate loops, you make a good point. I'll fix it up!

EDIT: Looking at Distortionist, it already has a HOPT on its effect, so it really can't be looped effectively. I'll still add an exclusion, though.

You know, I really love when an archetype comes from a story idea from someone's mind, I'd say it's pretty exciting, seeing your characters or concepts become a reality, not only in the form of a person's imagination while reading a book, but something more tangible, specially if you could give your cards an artwork to print them. Damn, I wish I was a top artist to do that over and over.

Anyway, I'd say that, so far, this archetype has a heavy dependence of Grimmace, Lord of the Order and the Grimmoire Spells. Since you have already announced more cards to come, I expect they also have "send to the GY" effects, otherwise too many Lv 1-4 monsters without a circumstantial effect will cause you trouble. Uncanny Jester should help you quite a bit, but I feel you need a Level 1-4 monster with a opt effect that sends other Grimms to the GY, much like Neptabyss, the Atlantean Prince. Another thing to note is that Grimmoire of Pain doesn't have any restriction. You could discard 4 Grimms, inflict 4000 damage to your opponent and proceed to activate their effects. I'd say that's the most broken card in the Deck right now. I'm looking forward to the next update (for some reason, I keep imagining this Nora - Lady of the Order like Hela, Generaider Boss of Doom, but I might me completely off mark).

Thanks!

Ideally, we are planning to either turn it into a podcast/YouTube series, or go the old-fashioned way and turn it into a series of novels.

Admittedly, Grimace is like the big bad guy of the entire series. So whenever we get around to making the story a reality, we probably won't actually get around to even talking about Grimace for like a year.

I will say this - you aren't too far off imagining Nora to be like Hela.

You've hit the nail on the head with your assessment: the deck does have an overreliance on the Grimmoires which is the main thing holding them back. That's... Pretty much my intention.  I want them to have a high level of power but be unable to replicate it game after game.

The only thing that I disagree with is Grimmoire of Pain. It's a Normal Spell with a one-time effect, so you can't keep discarding for extra burns. I did not put an OPT on it though because, well, it's pretty much necessary for the deck to put multiple Grimms in the GY.

I could possibly be convinced to lower the burn damage, but, generically speaking, Grimmoire of Pain is way more costly than than something like "Tremendous Fire".

20 minutes ago, Tinkerer said:

Ideally, we are planning to either turn it into a podcast/YouTube series, or go the old-fashioned way and turn it into a series of novels.

I wish the best of luck with this project to both your friend and you. As old-fashioned as I am, a series of books suits me better, but a podcast sounds very entertaining, and a viable alternative strategy since the fantasy novel competition is pretty rough, I'd say. In the convoluted life of today's people, you should find a niche for those who doesn't have time for reading and rather would enjoy listening to a story while doing everyday's chores, for instance.

My bad, for some reason, I didn't look carefully and believed Grimmoire of Pain was a Continuous Spell, that's why I thought it needed an opt clause. I'll only insist of adding a Lv 1-4 monster with a opt send to the GY effect, by itself it could give you quite a bit of consistency. With the example I mentioned before, Neptabyss did wonders for Mermails, which have formidable otk combos but got stuck often in the hand.

Bump!

I'll need to clean up the text on these cards but here's the next batch!

Nora - Lady of the Order

DARK 8*

Fiend/Fusion/Effect

"Grimmace - Lord of the Order" OR 1 "Grimm" monster + 1 monster

You can also Special Summon this card by tributing the above materials you control (this Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon). You can only Special Summon 1 "Nora - Lady of the Order" per turn this way. Monsters sent to the GY as Fusion Material for this card are treated as being sent by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card. This card cannot be targeted (for an attack or card effect) while you control a token. Once per turn, if a token(s) is Summoned: You can add 1 "Grimmoire" Spell from your Deck or GY to your hand.

2500/3000

Order of Grimm - TRINITY/Cod.exe

DARK ***

Fiend/Effect

- Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire Token" (Fiend/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 2000). If a "Grimmoire Token" is destroyed by battle: Send 1 "Grimm" card from your Deck to the GY. It is treated as though it were sent to the GY by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card. "Grimmoire Tokens" cannot be used as Material except for a Fusion Summon and they are destroyed during the End Phase.

0/2000

Grimmoire of Dust

Continuous Spell

When this card is activated: Add 1 "Grimm" monster from your Deck to your hand. During the End Phase: The turn player must either tribute 1 monster from their hand or field, OR: Take 1000 damage. Once per turn, if your opponent declares a direct attack: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower "Grimm" monster in your GY; Special Summon it, and if you do, change the attack target to it and perform damage calculation. The Special Summoned monster cannot be destroyed by that battle, but destroy it at the end of the Battle Phase. You can only activate 1 "Grimmoire of Dust" per turn.

Grimmoire Stitchings

Spell

Fusion Summon 1 Fiend Fusion monster from your Extra Deck , using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If you use "Grimmace - Lord of the Order" as Fusion Material, you can also use 1 monster from your Deck as material. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can pay 1000 LP; send the top card of your Deck to the GY, and if you do, add this card to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Grimmoire Stitchings" once per turn.

5 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Order of Grimm - TRINITY/Cod.exe

DARK ***

Fiend/Effect

- Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire Token" (Fiend/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 2000). If a "Grimmoire Token" is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or by card effect): Send 1 "Grimm" card from your Deck to the GY. It is treated as though it were sent to the GY by the effect of a "Grimmoire" card. "Grimmoire Tokens" cannot be used as Material and they are destroyed during the End Phase.

0/2000

MVP. An excellent defensive effect that not only can be activated in either player's turn but will also provide you with fodder for the advent of Grimmace and powerful synergy with Nora. If your opponent dares to destroy the tokens, your GY will be fortified. Well rounded critter.

5 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Special Summon it and continue the battle

Most interesting stuff, ocg-wise. Do this means that, despite the replay, your opponent is forced to keep attacking? Is there a precedent for this term?

Finally, I wanted to point out a few things in Grimmoire Stitchings. According to this page, you should only use "field" instead of "side of the field". You used GY and Graveyard in the same effect, and I think it should be "send the top card of your Deck to the GY" instead of "from". I hope you don't mind me pointing these out since we both know you're much better at ocg, but just wanted to help 🙂

3 hours ago, Rayfield Shade said:

MVP. An excellent defensive effect that not only can be activated in either player's turn but will also provide you with fodder for the advent of Grimmace and powerful synergy with Nora. If your opponent dares to destroy the tokens, your GY will be fortified. Well rounded critter.

Most interesting stuff, ocg-wise. Do this means that, despite the replay, your opponent is forced to keep attacking? Is there a precedent for this term?

Finally, I wanted to point out a few things in Grimmoire Stitchings. According to this page, you should only use "field" instead of "side of the field". You used GY and Graveyard in the same effect, and I think it should be "send the top card of your Deck to the GY" instead of "from". I hope you don't mind me pointing these out since we both know you're much better at ocg, but just wanted to help 🙂

Only 4 of the created cards are active references to the story: Grimace, Grimson, Nora, and "The Trinity Program". I feel like I had to make the last one good XD

Thanks for the corrections, and no worries about correcting me. As I say: all help is appreciated! I'm a bit too tired to change 'em up now, but I'll definitely get the text fixed before the next (last?) update.

I'm like 80% sure there's a card that... Hmm. Something something "Train Signal Red"? My mind is mush, but yeah, I'm pretty sure there's at least one card that forces a battle replay on a newly Summoned monster. I just have to find it and steal its text.

12 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Only 4 of the created cards are active references to the story: Grimace, Grimson, Nora, and "The Trinity Program". I feel like I had to make the last one good XD

Thanks for the corrections, and no worries about correcting me. As I say: all help is appreciated! I'm a bit too tired to change 'em up now, but I'll definitely get the text fixed before the next (last?) update.

I'm like 80% sure there's a card that... Hmm. Something something "Train Signal Red"? My mind is mush, but yeah, I'm pretty sure there's at least one card that forces a battle replay on a newly Summoned monster. I just have to find it and steal its text.

Yeah, you were right, it's called Construction Train Signal Red. I noticed it's not very recent, so I investigated further and found Dark Spirit of Banishment, I think this might help you. Gladiator Beast Noxius has exactly the same wording as the train, but is not as recent as the Spirit.

I forgot to mention something last time with Trinity. Might be on purpose, but is it alright that it's opt effect is a soft opt? Because if you manage to send a couple of copies to the GY, or even the three, it'd be extremely hard for our opponent to damage you at all. It would take too many attacks or the use of too many resources to take down 3 2000 DEF Tokens each turn, only to heavily fortify your GY. Also, Special Summoning the big meanie Grimmace "for free" during your turn is too much.

Bump~

Updates:

I fixed the text from the previous batch.  I also changed up the following cards:

Grimmace: I unrestricted him a tiny bit by removing a couple words; his summoning effect now works alongside Lair of Darkness.

Nora: Nora now tributes for its alternative fusion summon.  This way, it can actually use tokens as fusion material and it works alongside Lair of Darkness.

Trinity: The tokens now only trigger when destroyed by battle.  In exchange, I let them be used as Fusion Materials.

Grimmoire of Dust: I changed it to be a Continuous Spell in order to make it less searchable and abusable alongside Metaverse. I also changed it so that its End Phase effect tributes instead of sends for an additional Lair of Darkness buff.

Those were changed for fixing the power level of the deck, for adding thematic consistency, and because Lair has a secondary effect involving tokens which pairs well with Nora.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, Rayfield Shade said:

Yeah, you were right, it's called Construction Train Signal Red. I noticed it's not very recent, so I investigated further and found Dark Spirit of Banishment, I think this might help you. Gladiator Beast Noxius has exactly the same wording as the train, but is not as recent as the Spirit.

I forgot to mention something last time with Trinity. Might be on purpose, but is it alright that it's opt effect is a soft opt? Because if you manage to send a couple of copies to the GY, or even the three, it'd be extremely hard for our opponent to damage you at all. It would take too many attacks or the use of too many resources to take down 3 2000 DEF Tokens each turn, only to heavily fortify your GY. Also, Special Summoning the big meanie Grimmace "for free" during your turn is too much.

Thanks!  Yeah, those work for what I was going for.  I decided to use Banishment since it is specifically summoning something else to get attacked.

As for Trinity, yeah, the soft-OPT is intentional (just like with Unternal), but, uh... in my half-stupor state, I decided to loosen its effect elsewhere and kinda made it too powerful.  I changed it up so that the tokens are less certain to trigger.  As for Grimmace, it shouldn't be too big a worry.  A "free" big boss like Grimmace is not all that impressive, especially since he is basically a vanilla monster on the field.

But yeah, if you wait too long against the Order of Grimm, you will be overrun.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:17 PM, Redro said:

But yeah, if you wait too long against the Order of Grimm, you will be overrun.

Yep, this is the kind of Deck that will only get stronger as time passes to the point it will be nigh impossible to stop. Remind me to bring Abyss Dweller, End of Anubis, Macro Cosmos and Dimensional Fissure if I ever play against you 🙂

Archived