New Thunder Dragon Fusion monster

Arctic_Circle34

After the banning of Colossus (which is one of the worst and most unnecessary bans of the last few years), TD's need a new boss monster.

Thunder Dragon Supercharger

Thunder/Fusion/Effect *9 DARK

ATK 3000 / DEF 2600

1 LIGHT "Thunder Dragon" monster + 1 DARK "Thunder Dragon" monster
Must either be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by Banishing 1 Thunder monster you control and 1 "Thunder Dragon" monster from your hand, field or GY. Once during either players' turn (Quick Effect): If your opponent activates a card or effect, you can Banish 1 Thunder monster from your hand, field or GY; Negate the activation of that card or effect and if you do, Banish it. If this card would be destroyed either by battle or card effect, you can return 2 Thunder monsters that are either Banished or in your GY to your Deck instead.

Thunder Dragon Supercharger.jpg

16 hours ago, Arctic_Circle34 said:

After the banning of Colossus (which is one of the worst and most unnecessary bans of the last few years), TD's need a new boss monster.

I beg to differ. Thunder Dragon Colossus proved to be a really strong card with a powerful lock-down effect with easy alternative Summoning requirements. Not to mention that with MR-revision on its way, bringing 3 Colossus turn-1 is super easy. So Colossus being banned was just a matter of time IMO. On the other hand, Thunder Decks still has Titan which is still a respectable boss monster, it has decent stats, protection, and a non-targeting removal. So if anything the deck needs right now is an easy way to bring Titan to the field, maybe another "balanced" Fusion with Colossus-easy summoning requirement with effects that reward you for using it as a material-ladder to bring Titan, or your card, instead .

Now to the card. It's good. Too good. I like the design behind it: Its 'soft OPT' omni-negation and alt Summoning requirement fuels its protection effect. With Colossus banned a negation-boss substitute is definitely needed. Which is nice and all BUT with its alternative Summoning conditions being easier than Titan AND Colossus, this card would end-up power-creeping Titan. Furthermore Summoning at least 2 Supercharger in your first turn wouldn't be that hard after MR-revision.

I suggest the following changes.

1 LIGHT "Thunder Dragon" monster + 1 DARK "Thunder Dragon" monster
Must either be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by banishing 1 "Thunder Dragon" monster from your hand or field and 1 "Thunder Dragon" Fusion Monster you control with different Attributes. Once per turn (Quick Effect): If your opponent activates a card or effect, you can banish 1 Thunder monster from your hand, field or GY; negate the activation, and if you do, banish it. If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can return 2 of your Thunder monsters that are banished or in your GY to your Deck instead.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, BatMed said:

I beg to differ. Thunder Dragon Colossus proved to be a really strong card with a powerful lock-down effect with easy alternative Summoning requirements. Not to mention that with MR-revision on its way, bringing 3 Colossus turn-1 is super easy. So Colossus being banned was just a matter of time IMO. On the other hand, Thunder Decks still has Titan which is still a respectable boss monster, it has decent stats, protection, and a non-targeting removal. So if anything the deck needs right now is an easy way to bring Titan to the field, maybe another "balanced" Fusion with Colossus-easy summoning requirement with effects that reward you for using it as a material-ladder to bring Titan, or your card, instead .

Now to the card. It's good. Too good. I like the design behind it: Its 'soft OPT' omni-negation and alt Summoning requirement fuels its protection effect. With Colossus banned a negation-boss substitute is definitely needed. Which is nice and all BUT with its alternative Summoning conditions being easier than Titan AND Colossus, this card would end-up power-creeping Titan. Furthermore Summoning at least 2 Supercharger in your first turn wouldn't be that hard after MR-revision.

I suggest the following changes.

The MR revision would've made Colossus going to 1 inevitable, as it is in the OCG. At 1, Thunder Dragon is not completely invisible in the meta, but it's certainly not dominating by any stretch of the imagination. But banning was excessive. Limiting it would've been sufficient. 

Titan is a passable boss monster, but isn't enough by himself. Without Colossus, Thunder needs to drop insane resources to try and pair Titan with an Apolousa or find a way to make a card like Savage Dragon. 

You mention that this card is too good because it's summon condition is too easy to bring out. I disagree. It's easier than Titan but harder to summon than Colossus.

With Supercharger, it requires you play Thunder Dragons, something Colossus didn't have. Doesn't justify the card getting banned but it's something I looked at as rectification to make Thunder Dragon good again, but not potentially abusable in other decks. 

For Colossus, you literally just needed to have any Thunder monster on the field, have a Thunder effect take place in hand and then boom, instant Colossus. Supercharger, requires you play Thunder Dragons and it's effect requires you play primarily Thunder monsters, or else it's effect is not very usable, especially since the 2 Thunders you use to summon this are being banished, thus aren't available to use as effect fodder for the omni-negate effect. 

As for your changes:

Must either be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by banishing 1 "Thunder Dragon" monster from your hand or field and 1 "Thunder Dragon" Fusion Monster you control with different Attributes. 

I'm gonna have to say no to that. I like the idea of making you have to use 2 different attributes, which makes sense given that's how you fusion summon him normally. However, having to use a Thunder Fusion monster you control is simply not practical at all. As for right now, the only viable target for this would be Kaminari Attack, because you aren't going to sacrifice one of your Titans to bring this out, since Titan is suppose to be part of your end board, along with Supercharger (as it was with Colossus before). Thus, the only way you're bringing this out that way is if you hard draw into Instant Fusion. 

Once per turn (Quick Effect): If your opponent activates a card or effect, you can banish 1 Thunder monster from your hand, field or GY; negate the activation, and if you do, banish it.

You mentioned earlier that it's effect was a soft OPT, which it wasn't. In the text, it states you can only use this particular effect of Supercharger once per turn. It's a hard OPT, and it's to prevent what you stated, getting multiple Superchargers out and having 3 omni-negates on board with ease. With this effect, you only get 1 even with multiples out. 

• 1 month later...

I agree Colossus shouldn't have been outright banned in TCG. A Limit would have sufficed.
You say the card has a hard OPT, but I don't see it written anywhere in the opening post... oh, never mind, it's in the card image but not in the written text.
I also agree a compensation for Colossus would be neat, but I'm not entirely digging your approach, personally. Omni-negation comes to me as a lazy and cheap "I will just make it negate anything and call it of day" option, when it it could very well have an effect that negates or disrupts searching like Colossus does, or perhaps even an Ash Blossom effect. Anything like that would be more creative and flavorful than the omni-negation. Besides, banishing a banish-floaty Thunder Dragon for the cost will trigger its effect and net you a plus, so the effect would be extra rewarding even if it cannot negate everything.
Then, IMO the ATK is too high for its summoning conditions. 3000 ATK is a big jump from Colossus' 2600, and it's not that difficult to Summon compared to Colossus. 2600~2700 ATK feels more fair to me. The DEF can be higher, though. Heck, you may as well swap its ATK/DEF and it would be fine.
I do like Batmed's idea of using materials with different Attributes, or rather a DARK and a LIGHT, for its alternate summoning condition to reflect its regular listed materials plus make it require s bit more of set-up that it Thunder Dragons would barely be an issue anyway. I agree that it doesn't have to be a Fusion monster as material.

• 3 weeks later...

also personal opinion i think the design of colosus is just dum hint the retarded summoning condition the card just became more broken thesto better thunder support gets so to high scaling i would say any tdrafusion should have must be either fusion summon or special summon by using a thunderr dragon non fusion monster as material

Archived