Mystical Metronome [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

Just a card that popped into my head. I'm actually really unsure how to write it though.

Mystical Metronome

Continuous Spell

Activate this card at the start of your Main Phase 1.  If you activate a monster effect: Remove all East Counters from this card and place 1 West Counter on this card.  If you activate a Spell/Trap card or effect: Remove all West Counters from this card and place 1 East Counter on this card.  If your opponent activates a monster effect: Remove all South Counters from this card and place 1 North Counter on this card.  If your opponent activates a Spell/Trap card or effect: Remove all North Counters from this card and place 1 South Counter on this card.  While this card has a West Counter, you cannot activate monster effects.  While this card has an East Counter, you cannot activate Spell/Trap cards or effects.  While this card has a North Counter, your opponent cannot activate monster effects.  While this card has a South Counter, your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap cards or effects.  Remove all Counters from this card during the End Phase.  You can only control 1 "Mystical Metronome".

Essentially, it's supposed to force players into activating a monster effect, then a spell/trap, then a monster, etc etc. If a deck is too monster-heavy or too spell/trap-heavy, then this acts as a powerful floodgate to slow those plays.

Again, I am unsure how to write this effectively, so if anyone has suggestions feel free to let me know!

Cheers!

Umm, for now I can't find a better way to write the part of 2 monster -> 2 Spell/Trap in a row, but what I felt a bit off is the part that says "each turn". I'm not sure either, but I feel like that part can be omitted, since it's a continuous Spell and the effect will remain until negated/destroyed.

21 minutes ago, Rayfield Shade said:

Umm, for now I can't find a better way to write the part of 2 monster -> 2 Spell/Trap in a row, but what I felt a bit off is the part that says "each turn". I'm not sure either, but I feel like that part can be omitted, since it's a continuous Spell and the effect will remain until negated/destroyed.

Ah, right. The intention with adding "each turn" was to allow the effect not to carry over between players' turns (i.e. If the last card/Effect you activated during your turn was a Spell, you ARE allowed to activate a Trap at the start of your opponent's turn).

That way, it would slow players who open all-monsters/all-backrow, but not completely shut them out.

...I also just realized that this is both thematically and effectively pendulum support. Honestly, that was completely unintentional. 😅

I would say using "Note" wording at first but then a slightly hopping around but easier to understand would be using 2 specific counter 

Whenever your opponent activate a card or effect, based on the type of that card you can either place X1 counter on this card if its Monster or X2 Counter if its a Spell/Trap. While this card has X1 counter your opponent cannot activate his/her monster effects. While this card has X2 Counter on it your opponent cannot activate spell/trap card. Whenever a effect that would place a counter with different name than counters on this card (if any) would be resolved, remove all counter that on this card 

So, uh, yeah.  I edited it and it works exactly how I want it while also having "correct" grammar, but... now it's just ridiculously long.  I guess you can't really have it both ways, huh? 🙃

Keeping the old text down here for my own sake...

Mystical Metronome

Continuous Spell

Activate this card at the start of your Main Phase 1. Neither player can activate 2 monster effects in a row each turn. Neither player can activate 2 Spell/Trap cards and/or effects in a row each turn. You can only control 1 "Mystical Metronome".

2 hours ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

Unless it meant to work on both player on any turn You can probably shorten it by making it only use 2 counters but with added line "this card effect only applied on the turn's player"

Thanks, but yeah, I did intend for it to work on both players on any turn. Don't want to open any loopholes with this alongside handtraps.

Inspired by the original and the Dr. I thought of a weird alternative. It isn't even the same card anymore, but I want you guys to check it out anyway, 'cause it's fun.

Arcane Metronome

Continuous-TRAP

Neither player can activate a card effect with the same Card Type Effect (Monster, or Spell/Trap) as the previously resolved card effect. If a player activates a card effect, Set this Card. During the End Phase, Set this card. This card's activation doesn't count for this card's effect. You can only control 1 "Arcane Metronome".

Haha, I know, I know, unorthodox, but it might work. Since you cannot activate 1 of the 2 types of card effects, "activating" a card effect is automatically the other type, which makes this card set, so you activate it immediately again. I'm not sure if you can re-activate a Trap that has been set many times in a turn, though, so a line allowing such effect might be needed. What do you think?

3 hours ago, Rayfield Shade said:

Inspired by the original and the Dr. I thought of a weird alternative. It isn't even the same card anymore, but I want you guys to check it out anyway, 'cause it's fun.

Arcane Metronome

Continuous-TRAP

Neither player can activate a card effect with the same Card Type Effect (Monster, or Spell/Trap) as the previously resolved card effect. If a player activates a card effect, Set this Card. During the End Phase, Set this card. This card's activation doesn't count for this card's effect. You can only control 1 "Arcane Metronome".

Haha, I know, I know, unorthodox, but it might work. Since you cannot activate 1 of the 2 types of card effects, "activating" a card effect is automatically the other type, which makes this card set, so you activate it immediately again. I'm not sure if you can re-activate a Trap that has been set many times in a turn, though, so a line allowing such effect might be needed. What do you think?

So this is essentially the Scrap-Iron Scarecrow version of Mystic Metronome?

56 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

So this is essentially the Scrap-Iron Scarecrow version of Mystic Metronome?

Kinda for the face-up/face-down stuff, but with a more complex effect. I made this as an alternative to use the original card's mechanic, with the hope that Redro might find it useful if he can adapt it somehow, since so far I haven't found a way to apply the original effect without the use of counters, which is certainly the best option, as pointed out by the Dr., but takes like 200 lines of effect and gets a bit confusing if you don't pay thorough attention.

I actually like the idea of making the opponent cycle through their effects and it may possible screw up a few cards along the way. I mean, this card's biggest problem is Spell Canceller or anything else that blows up the back row. But the card is so harmless that it will likely be ignored and that's what I like about it.

Archived