Ice Barrier Support

Hiro Kimura

Hello everyone, this is my first time doing custom card creation, i did readed a lot about how to design a card but im sure i will fail a lot at the start, i did played a lot of TCG in the summoned skull era and just took it again now thanks to a friend that gave me my old psp with tag force 4 after like 5 years, so came again since i started playing duel links, since the tcg seems to be to fast right now for me, but i think that i will go back at it once i learn a lot more.

anyway, i created some support for one of the archetypes i think its the one with the most lost potential by konami, Ice barriers.

i tried to keep the "hand presence" style the old cards have and added some speed to it, as they literally have no special summon outside of some hard restricted ones like not being able to summon high lvl monsters, needing a full hand or a very specific board state

Queen.jpg

Chosen one.jpg

Song.jpg

Goddess.jpg

Sword Princess.jpg

Hey! I've always loved this archetype (it's WATER ad has many immunity effects, which I like). Gantala or Prior should be the one in charge of reviving Queen of the Ice Barrier, which is the new true boss of the archetype. I have an issue with her last effect, though. If she Special Summons a Level 4 or lower IB from the GY when she leaves the field, you have there the potential to loop with Prior, so everytime she leaves the field, she'll get back with the help of Prior. Not really that broken, but strong combo, anyway. I don't really have much issues with these cards being strong as IB REALLY need support XD.

With the Chosen One, I'll just mention that, when you make the card, always leave the /effect to the end, so it should be Warrior / Tuner / Effect. Also, unless it was on purpose, you mention that you have to shuffle the revealed Spell to draw the card, but with the revealed monster, you only mention the Special Summoning. Did you mean to also shuffle the revealed monster?

Can you please give me a link to the artwork of Ice Barrier Goddess? She's really pretty! I do have the Princess artwork, though. Princess' effect of being treated as multiple Levels is downright broken, lol, but meh, I like it, and it should help a lot to bring Gungnir, Dewloren, Trishula and the Goddess to the game. Paired with the chosen one, it should be a piece of cake. The spell is just what the archetype needed to help with the Synchro Summoning and a bit of Extra Protection. Since we know what Ice Barrier lacks the most is speed, you did well in giving Chosen One, Goddess and Princess effects to Special Summon directly from Deck/add cards to hand (medallion/triangle -> needed IB). The only issue is the constant need of cards in the hand to reveal, which is troublesome.

7 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

If she Special Summons a Level 4 or lower IB from the GY when she leaves the field, you have there the potential to loop with Prior, so everytime she leaves the field, she'll get back with the help of Prior. Not really that broken, but strong combo, anyway. I don't really have much issues with these cards being strong as IB REALLY need support XD.

yeah, was thinking about that for a bit when creating that part, in a competitive fashion, it would probably limit Prior to 1 or 2 due to how easy would be to just loop into her assuming opponent can't get rid of him in some way, thats the reason i added it needed to be a tuner, that limits the effect quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

always leave the /effect to the end, so it should be Warrior / Tuner / Effect

oops will try to fix that once i get some other support out.

13 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

unless it was on purpose, you mention that you have to shuffle the revealed Spell to draw the card, but with the revealed monster, you only mention the Special Summoning. Did you mean to also shuffle the revealed monster?

if a monster its supposed to stay in the hand, thinking back, it should shuffle too, the way it is now helps hand presence tho so using triangle would be a little more consistent.

14 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Can you please give me a link to the artwork of Ice Barrier Goddess? She's really pretty!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/83/69/fb8369c4d162d324ac296b3d5a538a40.jpg

Here you go! 🙂

19 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Princess' effect of being treated as multiple Levels is downright broken, lol, but meh, I like it

was kinda thinking the same after i gave all the cards a read lol, maybe being treated as a lvl 4 would be better, but main problem with ice barriers is not having good stuff below lvl 4 hence why i made her lvl 3 but that leaves the need for a better lvl 3 tuner, but princess kinda has another purpose for more support i will create soon, thats why i left her as non tuner.

22 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

The only issue is the constant need of cards in the hand to reveal, which is troublesome.

main reason for this support was making it faster while leaving the gimmick of revealing cards, i know its troublesome, but thats kinda the identity of the archetype this can actually be very good with some copies of salvage, and Moray of greed

feels good to know in not that off of how making cards works 🙂

23 hours ago, Hiro Kimura said:

yeah, was thinking about that for a bit when creating that part, in a competitive fashion, it would probably limit Prior to 1 or 2 due to how easy would be to just loop into her assuming opponent can't get rid of him in some way, thats the reason i added it needed to be a tuner, that limits the effect quite a bit.

Oh right, I forgot that the Queen mentions that it needs to be a Tuner, my bad! Anyway, since you mentioned you'll be making more support, I thought of giving you an artwork as thanks for giving me the Goddess, maybe you can find her some use.

Damselice10.png.2ead4bf67137469ef7d9d5d575cb3865.png

Also, in case you haven't, I'd like to bring your attention to the card Tatsunoko. I often use it for Mermail/Atlantean Decks, but I thought it'd be useful with the new IB version you're making since a Level 1 Princess has the key to summoning the lil' dragon, which could lead you to summon other high Level Synchros, like Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree (Tatsu + Gantala). It'd be cool if you made a Level 2 IB Tuner, since the already available Tuners in the archetype are lacking 🙂 

All right, all right, I'm here again too. While I was gone, now the royal family has 3 Princesses! It's cool you decided to use that artwork 🙂

Anyway, I quite agree with you on the Lv 8 Dragon. IB really needed it. It's pretty standard and works well, like a weaker version of Trishula, but easier to summon, although it's effect targets, compared to Trishula's. The protective effect is a bit ambiguous because of the word "from your hand". I mean, spells are activated from your hand, but in the field. If you mean to affect only cards whose effects activate in the hand, such as hand traps, you should use "in the hand". SInce this effect doesn't have a opt clause, it's much better if it only affect such kind of effect, because otherwise it would be a broken effect.

My favourite this time was the Mage Princess, and that's not only because she's too cute. She's a fun trap hand to use, circumstantial, but versatile, it's capability to Synchro Summon Yang Zing Style or negate the effect altogether while Special Summon a friend is very nice.

Oh, by the way, two things. 1, the exact term is "Reveal" not "Reveil". Also, not everyone does that here, but it would be really helpful if you write below the card the effect. Mage Princess' was kinda hard to see XD.

Honestly, I didn't like much Paladin's effect to shuffle your hand to cover for revealed cards. All in all, you're losing 1 valuable card from your hand. I'm also not sure what's your intention when saying "shuffle your hand". Usually, when you say "shuffle" you mean to shuffle 1 or more cards from somewhere into the Deck. That by itself doesn't mean you can then draw the same amount of cards you shuffled. SO, it's either one of these: You mean to shuffle the cards in your hand outside the deck so your opponent doesn't know where it is (which seems rather pointless, specially if you're losing an IB) OR Shuffle your entire hand and draw the same amount of cards you shuffled. Imo, neither effect justifies losing an IB, although shuffling your hand to renew it can be handy. The second effect of Paladin, on the other hand, is very welcome.You should use "If this card is banished by its own effect: Special Summon it during your next Standby Phase".

And damn, I'm looking forward to those Fusions. Being able to use materials from your Deck/Extra Deck simply by revealing 2 IB is possibly the most broken effect so far, I'm afraid lol. Take Shaddoll Fusion/Lunalight Fusion or Brilliant Fusion as an example, you need your opponent to control a monsters Special Summoned from the Extra Deck to use your Deck monsters, or in the case of Brilliant, the ATK/DEF of the Fusion becomes 0 and it is destroyed if BF leaves the field. Red-Eyes Fusion also allows for the use of monsters in the Deck, but won't let you Summon anything else during that turn. So yeah, I feel it's all about giving it a higher difficulty/some penalty to activate that part in order for it to be balanced. Good work so far, anyway.

5 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

The protective effect is a bit ambiguous because of the word "from your hand". I mean, spells are activated from your hand, but in the field. If you mean to affect only cards whose effects activate in the hand, such as hand traps, you should use "in the hand". SInce this effect doesn't have a opt clause, it's much better if it only affect such kind of effect, because otherwise it would be a broken effect.

yeah, it was supposed to counter hand traps, kinda did an oopsie there with wording lol

Oh, by the way, two things. 1, the exact term is "Reveal" not "Reveil". Also, not everyone does that here, but it would be really helpful if you write below the card the effect. Mage Princess' was kinda hard to see XD.

one of the difficulties of not having english as native XD to be fair, i always write that word like 2 or 3 times to make sure i write it correctly, kinda like looking if the word actually looks weird or not, also took me some time to figure out ways to cut words in order to make it visible, i'll try do that for any card that has too many text from now on xD

Honestly, I didn't like much Paladin's effect to shuffle your hand to cover for revealed cards. All in all, you're losing 1 valuable card from your hand. I'm also not sure what's your intention when saying "shuffle your hand". Usually, when you say "shuffle" you mean to shuffle 1 or more cards from somewhere into the Deck. That by itself doesn't mean you can then draw the same amount of cards you shuffled. SO, it's either one of these: You mean to shuffle the cards in your hand outside the deck so your opponent doesn't know where it is (which seems rather pointless, specially if you're losing an IB) OR Shuffle your entire hand and draw the same amount of cards you shuffled. Imo, neither effect justifies losing an IB, although shuffling your hand to renew it can be handy. The second effect of Paladin, on the other hand, is very welcome.You should use "If this card is banished by its own effect: Special Summon it during your next Standby Phase".

some of the new support i have posted have another "resource" which is revealed cards, a card that its "revealed for the rest of the turn" can't be revealed again so kinda resets your hand for more "Reveal" plays, then again there are only like 2 or 3 that do that only right now, the effect its optional tho so you don't lose a IB unless you want to in order to have more chance to reveal if needed.

Noted that recommendation, im lacking on the use of ":" xD

And damn, I'm looking forward to those Fusions. Being able to use materials from your Deck/Extra Deck simply by revealing 2 IB is possibly the most broken effect so far, I'm afraid lol. Take Shaddoll Fusion/Lunalight Fusion or Brilliant Fusion as an example, you need your opponent to control a monsters Special Summoned from the Extra Deck to use your Deck monsters, or in the case of Brilliant, the ATK/DEF of the Fusion becomes 0 and it is destroyed if BF leaves the field. Red-Eyes Fusion also allows for the use of monsters in the Deck, but won't let you Summon anything else during that turn. So yeah, I feel it's all about giving it a higher difficulty/some penalty to activate that part in order for it to be balanced. Good work so far, anyway.

wow, and here i was thinking it was actually underpowered, i may remake it just to make it a bit more hard to use the decks for it, i think i more less have an idea for that.

Thanks for the Reviews on this ones 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of what you are doing here, personally. The way I see it, support for existing archetypes should be a card or a set of ~3 cards that support and work with what the archetype already has and does. Instead, here you have 9 cards already, and you hinted at more to come. At this point the existing IB cards become support for these ones, when it should be the other way around IMO. You actually have more cards that the core maindeck IB cards, those being Defender, Gantala, Prior, Medallion and other techs like Strategist, Dance Princess and Magic Triangle.
I have not read all cards carefully nor picture notable plays, but you have cards with different degrees of power. Some are fine, other questionable and other just no-no, IMO, the main offender being the Goddess. You get a banish removal, a search and an End Phase absolute nuke? That's too many rewards for just 2 Level 4 IB monsters.
Song of Ice Barrier is another potent card in the set. I get IBs need support, but this is a 1~2 card (2 if you banish the Tuner from the field) Synchro Summon of an IB, which can be Trishula for an extra +2, topped with a targeting protection effect that spins the negated card. That's pushing it, IMO. I would be more comfortable with it if it banished the materials from anywhere, as a sort of Synchro version of Miracle Fusion, and didn't have the spinning effect.

You mentioned that with your support Prior would have to send to the banlist. That's not how support works, IMO. One should design and make cards working with what already exists, and not with the intent of sending cards to the banlist to keep the archetype on check, neither existing cards, nor cards you make.

Not a fan of adding Fusions to the archetype, as they aren't Fusion-themed. Remember the Ritual support in Burning Abyss and Fire Fists? Yeah, me neither. My point is that if it is too off-theme then they end up being underused, not used at all, or played in casual builds or outside their archetype (For example, I did see the Ritual Fire Fist somewhere... but in an Impcantation + Ritual goodstuffs deck). Fusions could work if they act as extenders or gateways into supporting an archetype, like what Infernoid Tierra does for Infernoids, and Beatrice floating into the Dante Fusion monster, but if you intent for IBs to start Fusion Summoning... it most likely won't be consistent.

Archived