Diagonal~

Sleepy

So this is one of my custom mechanics I've had for a while. Monsters from the Extra Deck coffee-brown colored.
To Summon them, the materials used are returned to the Deck in any way (you choose the order and which ones go to the top/bottom of it).
The requirements follow a sequence of numbers rather than adding/subtracting. 
1 > 2 > 3
2 > 3 > 4
3 > 4 > 5
and so on.
They can go in descending order, or "complete the sequence by filling in the middle" too, so most of them have 3 options to bring them out with, and they can be fairly flexible but maybe a bit complicated to grasp...

Flavor-wise, the mechanic's function is like an ever-so-slightly ascending arrow that doesn't go straight up (like Synchros that can go from a bunch of low level monsters to a Level 12 in a flash if they want to).

Here are some sample card images (warning: the cards are fully drawn, frames, texts, and everything xD )

2fvmDEC.jpg

The card data of them is this:

LIGHT Level 6 [ Dragon / Diagonal / Effect ] 3000/2500
Level 4+5 or 5+7 or 7+8 monsters

If 1 or more materials were higher Level than this card, it is unaffected by monster effects.
If both materials were higher Level than this card, when it destroys a monster by battle: You can add 1 monster from your Deck to your hand whose ATK is equal to or lower than the destroyed monster.

Note: I don't know if it is clear enough, but to Summon it, you need to return from the field to the Deck (top and/or bottom in any way) either:
-A Level 4 and a Level 5 monster, in which case this card doesn't gain any effects.
-A Level 5 and a Level 7 monsters, in which case it gains the effect immunity.
-A Level 7 and a Level 8 monsters, in which case it gains the searching effect.
Following the same pattern here are the other texts~

DARK Level 5 [ Spellcaster / Diagonal / Effect ] 2500/2000
Level 3+4 or 4+6 or 6+7 monsters

If 1 or more materials were higher Level than this card, it cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects.
If both materials were higher Level than this card, when it is Diagonal Summoned: You can destroy all cards on the field.

FIRE Level 4 [ Warrior / Diagonal / Effect ] 2400/1800
Level 2+3 or 3+5 or 5+6 monsters

When Diagonal Summoned: You can target 1 banished monster; return it to the top/bottom of the Deck, and if you do, this card gains its ATK.
If 1 or more materials were higher Level than this card: It can make 2 attacks on monsters each Battle Phase.
If both materials were higher Level than this card, when it destroys a monster by battle: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it.

WATER Level 3 [ Psychic / Diagonal / Effect ] 2000/1700
Level 1+2 or 2+4 or 4+5 monsters

To Diagonal Summon this card, you can use Diagonal Monsters in your GY as material.
If 1 or more materials were lower Level than this card, all battle damage you take is halved. Also, if a monster(s) would be destroyed by battle, you can have it not be destroyed.
If both materials were lower Level than this card, when this card battles, after Damage Calculation: You can target 1 monster in any GY; Special Summon it to its owner's side of the field.

- - - - - -

Some plays~

-The Knight can get a boost by replenishing a banished Malicious so you'd wind up with both on your Deck. Your choice of placement guarantees you'll draw it if you have Destiny Draw, or that you won't if you wanna mill it with something else.

-The Dragon can search you the hand traps you need after its battle, and really any Rank 7 engine could tech "Synchro Boost" and make this. (yeah I know it's a casual use).

-The Spellcaster is immune to its own destruction effect.

-The Nun can be brought out by recycling the knight and the spellcaster from your GY (at no effects gained).... or you can Summon Deep Sea Diva > Atlantean Prince, and make her with all effects. Her effect of protection is continuous and you always choose what is protected or not from both sides, so the Knight can ram into the same weakling twice and only kill it on the second attack to get the destruction effect to trigger.

I'm curious as to how this mechanic would mix with my made-up mechanics.  I like how this mechanic works, and the level can be changed to change the effect depending on the words used.

Combination cards like Tuner/Diagonal Summon Monsters and Ritual/Diagonal Summon Monsters might be a tad difficult to make but it is possible, I think.  Got nothing much else to say.  It is a good mechanic.

Archived