Mystical Meltdown [Written]

Thomas★Zero

Mystical Meltdown 
Trap Card
If you have no Spell/Trap cards in your Spell/Trap zones, you can activate this card from your hand. Target 1 face-up Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; negate that card effects until the End Phase this turn. You can banish this card from your GY and target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; destroy the targeted card. You can only use 1 "Mystical Meltdown" effect per turn and only once that turn.

Mixed feelings towards this card. It's amazing, and feels like a realistic next step on the powercreep in the game. But that doesn't mean it's fair. SS2 negation that doesn't destroy like Promenade, D/D/D Siegfried, Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss is really good, and unlike monster negation, when you negate a non-Continuous Spell/Trap the player end up losing it, effectively becoming a +0, which then turns into a +1 with the 2nd effect. So personally I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place so to speak, in the sense that this card is great and even realistic, but also adds on powercreep and I'm not sure if that's good design from a card-making standpoint.
Still, dropping a like because I enjoy the mind work, and can't deny it's a good card, as powercreepy as it may be.

1 hour ago, Darj said:

Mixed feelings towards this card. It's amazing, and feels like a realistic next step on the powercreep in the game. But that doesn't mean it's fair. SS2 negation that doesn't destroy like Promenade, D/D/D Siegfried, Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss is really good, and unlike monster negation, when you negate a non-Continuous Spell/Trap the player end up losing it, effectively becoming a +0, which then turns into a +1 with the 2nd effect. So personally I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place so to speak, in the sense that this card is great and even realistic, but also adds on powercreep and I'm not sure if that's good design from a card-making standpoint.
Still, dropping a like because I enjoy the mind work, and can't deny it's a good card, as powercreepy as it may be.

In the sense of this you also got to consider that you can only use either the negation or destruction effect that turn on a hard OPT clause which Infinite Impermanence didn't have meaning this card does require you to time it right during your opponents turn if their going first with this cards first effect while during your next turn then destroy any backrow while trying to avoid any negation your opponent has.

12 minutes ago, Thomas★Zero said:

In the sense of this you also got to consider that you can only use either the negation or destruction effect that turn on a hard OPT clause which Infinite Impermanence didn't have meaning this card does require you to time it right during your opponents turn if their going first with this cards first effect while during your next turn then destroy any backrow while trying to avoid any negation your opponent has.

I find it straightforward to play, really. If you open with it when going second, it's already live to negate an opponent's Spell/Trap, and double down on S/T removal with the GY effect during your upcoming turn. If you open with it when going first, then you simply Set it and now it's ready to negate a S/T, and unlike Impermanence it doesn't interact with columns in any way. Only in rare cases you would want the destruction effect over the negation, because you can also negate a Cont. Spell/Trap or Field Spell for the turn, and pop it the next turn with the GY effect.
But again, that's not a bad thing. Card is good, on the levels of Impermanence IMO. It does get to remove more cards than Impermanence (Impermanence is a +1 at best in a vacuum by negating a non Cont. Spell/Trap in the same column), but in general Spell/Traps are easier to remove (e.g. Twin Twisters, Cosmic Cyclone, Tornado Dragon, while there aren't as many monster disruption by removal, most of them being effect negation instead) than monsters so it can get away with it.

Archived