(Written CaC Archetype) The Hell Flame Archetype

This Archetype is all about destroying your own stuff, gaining counters and summoning thrall tokens then use those things as payment to set everything your opponent love a blaze as you overwhelm them with your fiery dueling passion. Destroying your own stuff nets you more cards, tokens and counters. Thralls love and worship the Hell Flames (they shouldn't lol) and the Hell Flames reward their unwavering devotion by using them as tributes and the more things getting destroyed the more power the hell flame gets (counters) they use the counters like ammo to fuel the weapons of destruction and rain hell on their enemies.  

Pathway of the Hell Flame: Normal Spell

Destroy 1 card in your hand: add 1 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monsters from your Deck and 1 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monster from your GY to your hand. During your Main Phase while this card is in your GY, you can destroy 2 "Hell Flame" monsters you control: add this card to your hand. You can only activate "Pathway to the Hell Flame" once per turn.

Ritual of the Hell Flame: Continuous Spell

If a monster your opponent controls, a monster in your hand or, a monster in your Deck is destroyed and sent to the GY: place 1 Hell Flame counter on this card. If a monster you control with a Hell Flame Counter(s) is destroyed and sent to the GY: place Hell Flame counter(s) on this card equal to the number of Hell Flame Counter(s) on the destroyed monster. (Quick Effect): you can remove 2 Hell Flame Counters from anywhere: your opponent discard 1 card at random. you only control 1 "Ritual of the Hell Flame". You can only activate "Ritual of the Hell Flame" once per turn.

Gateway of the Hell Scape: Field Spell

All "He'll Flame" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. If you summon a "Hell Flame" monster, place 1 "Hell Flame Counter on each "Hell Flame" monster you control. When this card is activated: you can send 1 level 5 or higher monster from your Deck to your GY then, Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. (Quick Effect): you can remove 5 Hell Flame Counters from anywhere: you can draw 1 card. You can only activate "Gateway of the Hell Flame" once per turn.

Vedtros, the Beastly Hell Flame

lv 5 FIRE Beast effect monster

2100 ATK and 200 DEF

If you control 1 or more "Hell Flame" monsters and no other monster(s): you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn you can destroy 1 other monster you control and if you do; Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monster with a different monster type from your Deck then, Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. If this card is in your GY while you only control "Hell Flame Thrall" token monster(s): you can destroy 1 monster you control and if you do; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only control 1 "Vedtros, the Beastly Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Vedtros, the Beastly Hell Flame" once per turn.

Varja, the  Serpent Hell Flame

lv 3 FIRE Serpent effect monster

1200 ATK and 200 DEF

Once per turn you can destroy 1 card in your hand and if you do; add 2 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monsters with different names from your Deck to your hand then,

Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. If this card is in your GY while you only control "Hell Flame Thrall" token monster(s): you can destroy 1 monster you control and if you do; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only control 1 "Varja, the Serpent Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Varja the Serpent Hell Flame" once per turn.

Venta, the Feather Hell Flame

lv 2 FIRE Winged Beast effect monster

800 ATK and 200 DEF

Once per turn you can destroy 1 card in your Deck and if you do; send the destroyed card directly from your Deck to the GY then, Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. If this card is in your GY while you only control "Hell Flame Thrall" token monster(s): you can destroy 1 monster you control and if you do; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only control 1 "Venta, the Feather Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Venta, the Feather Hell Flame" once per turn.

Voterra, the Crater Hell Flame

lv 1 FIRE Rock effect monster

0 ATK and 2000 DEF

Once per turn you can destroy 1 other monster you control and if you do; Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monster with a different monster type from your hand then, Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. If this card is in your GY while you only control "Hell Flame Thrall" token monster(s): you can destroy 1 monster you control and if you do; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only control 1 "Voterra, the Crater Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Voterra, the Crater Hell Flame" once per turn.

Valich, the Bone Hell Flame

lv 4 FIRE Zombie effect monster

1700 ATK and 200 DEF

Once per turn you can destroy 1 other monster you control and if you do; Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower "Hell Flame" monster with a different monster type from your GY then, Special Summon 1 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. If this card is in your GY while you only control "Hell Flame Thrall" token monster(s): you can destroy 1 monster you control and if you do; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only control 1 "Valich, the Bone Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Valich, the Bone Hell Flame" once per turn.

Victor, the Dragonic Hell Flame

lv 7 FIRE Dragon effect Tuner monster

2800 ATK and 200 DEF

If this card is Summoned: you may draw 1 card. If you control no monsters while this card is in your GY: You can destroy 1 monster in your hand; Special Summon this card.  If a monster(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY: place 1 Hell Flame Counter on this card.  (Quick Effect): You can remove 2 Hell Flame Counters from anywhere; Destroy 1 other card on the field.  All monsters your opponent control lose 300 ATK/DEF for each Hell Flame Counter on this card.  You can only control 1 face-up "Victor, the Dragonic Hell Flame".

Vicky, the Lovely Hell Flame

lv 6 FIRE Fairy effect Tuner monster

2400 ATK and 200 DEF

If this card is Summoned: you may draw 1 card. If you control only "Hell Flame" monsters and no other monster(s) while this card is in your Hand: You can destroy 1 monster in your hand; Special Summon this card.  If a monster(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY: place 1 Hell Flame Counter on this card.  (Quick Effect): You can remove 2 Hell Flame Counters from anywhere;  Target 1 other face-up card on the field can not be destroyed in battle and/or card effects until your opponent's next End Phase.  All monsters your control gain 300 ATK/DEF for each Hell Flame Counter on this card.  You can only control 1 face-up "Vicky, the Dragonic Hell Flame".

Veechfa, the Synch Hell Flame

lv 8 FIRE Warrior effect Synchro Tuner monster

3000 ATK and 200 DEF

1 FIRE Tuner monster + 1 or more "Hell Flame" Non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: you may return 1 "Hell Flame" card from your GY to your hand. If you control no monsters while this card is in your GY: You can destroy 1 monster in your hand; Special Summon this card.  If a monster(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY: place 1 Hell Flame Counter on this card.  (Quick Effect): You can remove 2 Hell Flame Counters from anywhere; Special Summon up to 2 "Hell Flame Thrall Token" (Pyro/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 100/DEF 100). It can only be used as material for the Summon of a "Hell Flame" monster. During your End Phase you gain 300 Life Points for each Hell Flame Counter on this card. You can only control 1 face-up "Veechfa, the Synch Hell Flame". You can only activate each effect of "Veechfa, the Synch Hell Flame" once per turn.

Tell me what you think about this!

I was going to go over everything card-by-card, but I realize that... I am not sure I can do that effectively with this set.  Instead, I'm going to break things up into groups.

Before getting to that though, just a few things to note:

• Destruction has never officially been used as cost in the game.
  • In a similar vein, there's only one Spell with a sorta quick effect (Ancient City - Rainbow Ruins); in general, Spells don't have quick effects.

Neither of these are deal breakers for me in terms of reviewing things, but if you wanna increase the cards' realism, it is something to keep in mind.

~~~

First things first, I kinda wanna break things up into 3 main groups:

1. Starter cards - Gateway, Varja, Venta, Voterra
  2. Extender cards - Pathway, Vedtros, Valich
  3. End board cards - Ritual, Victor, Veechfa, Vicky

I sorted the cards by most to least powerful, but I've gotta say, ALL of these are extremely powerful.  Every card (besides "Pathway") are +s in card advantage with some combos yielding +2s or even +3s extremely easily.

Oddly though, from what I can see, the weakness of the deck is that the end board is pretty lackluster with 1.5 exceptions: Ritual + Victor.  I don't like Ritual.  Considering how the deck operates, Ritual will be able to kill the opponent's hand every turn which is usually pretty unfair and unfun.  If you do establish a board outside of just Hell Flames, Ritual cripples the opponent's ability to respond.  I would strongly recommend changing Ritual to some other removal or make it need 5 counters like the field spell.  Victor is good in terms of a boss and is the only real monster in the deck that you want to end on.  Giving Victor a free draw is unneeded (again, I recommended buffing it before because the card had no deck to call home), but everything else about it is solid for the archetype.

The starter and extender cards are all very good.  However, a few are also surprisingly generic.  For example, the field spell is a foolish for Level 5+, and Venta is a Foolish + Foolish Burial Goods that can trigger destruction effects... and both summon tokens to make them even better.

Ironically, despite the crazy consistency of everything, the archetype feels kinda like Geargia - it spins its wheels a whole lot, but it doesn't actually go anywhere.  If I were to recommend some direction for potential fixes:

• Remove the generic aspect of a lot of the cards.  This opens up SO many more doors than you or I may really understand.
  • Add some more cards that destroy your own monsters on the field.  The summon conditions on the monsters are actually really difficult to achieve since you are likely to have the wrong monsters on the field.
  • Add some more cards that help your end board.  What do you want your ideal end board to look like?  The deck could go in several directions: removal, interruption, negation, or suppressing.  Relying on Victor or destroying monsters by battle will only take you so far, even against other casual decks.

Archived