Nocturnal Archetype (CW: Insect Pictures)

ScriptSlash

FOREWORD

I am super into all things horror. I hope a spooky insect archetype is acceptable to post, because this is my favorite Archetype I made back in the day. Insects are one of the most primal sources of fear in humans, so I thought what if I made an army of flesh-eating, night-crawling, giant critters. The deck is oriented towards Effect Monsters with two XYZ possibilities, and some supporting Spell and Trap Cards.

While this was made purely for fun and is meant to be casual, I'm open to low-level balancing feedback. Nothing too complex, and I certainly don't want to hear about Pendulum or Link monsters. The cards were made long ago and I only just now selected the pictures and posted, so some of the text could be wonky (didn't review). Feel free to let me know if that's the case 🙂

414011711_ArachneaRexCard.jpg.2e6bd6302fcfbd3110881626668ad84e.jpg 

NOCTURNAL ARACHNEA REX

DARK - LEVEL 7

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

FLIP: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; place 2 Fear Counters on it (max. 3) ("Nocturnal" monsters gain 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them. Non-"Nocturnal" monsters lose 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them.)
This card can be special summoned in face-down Defense position by returning exactly 5 "Nocturnal" cards to your deck from your graveyard, then shuffling your deck.
Whenever this card battles, the effects of Fear Counters are temporarily doubled.

ATK 2200 / DEF 2200

449217206_BlackHornetCard.jpg.5fb5e984e89012ab5077d3dc64cc6abf.jpg

NOCTURNAL BLACK HORNET

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

FLIP: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; place 1 Fear Counter on it (max. 3) ("Nocturnal" monsters gain 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them. Non-"Nocturnal" monsters lose 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them.)
Whenever this card battles, your opponent loses 200 life points for every Fear Counter placed on the battling monsters.

ATK 1700 / DEF 600

1299558435_CorpseMaggotCard.jpg.c9580f429c95b7054a3d85a93464c5a3.jpg

NOCTURNAL CORPSE MAGGOT

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

FLIP: Place a Fear Counter on any face-up monster (max. 3 per monster) on the field. (If a monster has Fear Counters on it and it is not a "Nocturnal" monster, it loses 200 ATK and DEF for every Fear Counter. If it is a "Nocturnal" monster, it gains 200 ATK and DEF for every Fear Counter.)
When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the graveyard, you can special summon one "Nocturnal" monster (excluding XYZ monsters) in face-down Defense position to your side of the field from your graveyard.

ATK 1400 / DEF 1500

1835368955_GrandScarabCard.jpg.9d2cad3bc2d211bbdeab06a71f9a99b9.jpg

NOCTURNAL GRAND SCARAB

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

FLIP: Place a Fear Counter on any face-up monster (max. 3 per monster) on the field. (If a monster has Fear Counters on it and it is not a "Nocturnal" monster, it loses 200 ATK and DEF for every Fear Counter. If it is a "Nocturnal" monster, it gains 200 ATK and DEF for every Fear Counter.)
As long as this card remains face-up on the field, your opponent cannot select any other monster on your side of the field as an attack target.

ATK 1000 / DEF 1800

2059633280_HemoFlyCard.jpg.f9c994cdf79a271ea8864d821df196d5.jpg

NOCTURNAL HEMOPHILIAC FLY

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

As long as this card remains face-up, whenever your opponent loses life points, they lose an additionnal 500 life points.

ATK 1300 / DEF 1500

1329187517_PredMothCard.jpg.ff980f9faa18c26f97ff4593d12d1899.jpg

NOCTURNAL PREDATOR MOTH

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

Whenever a level 4 or lower monster is destroyed, this card gains 200 ATK.

ATK 1500 / DEF 1600

1476620765_RobedMantisCard.jpg.743a2c68c204e9eeb50c3538ebf546d0.jpg

NOCTURNAL ROBED MANTIS

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

As long as this card remains face-up on the field, your opponent must pay 300 life points to declare an attack.

ATK 1650 / DEF 1200

220061891_SpikedLeechCard.jpg.101e69707355b72cc74f1ab32ed5e23b.jpg

NOCTURNAL SPIKED LEECH

DARK - LEVEL 3

INSECT / FLIP / EFFECT

When this card is sent to the graveyard, your opponent loses 500 life points.

ATK 1450 / DEF 1550

1649930582_EclipseCard.jpg.eefb0e13c3f302bbaab868abaa75a387.jpg

NOCTURNAL ECLIPSE

SPELL CARD / FIELD

During each of your end phases, flip all monsters on your side of the field to face-down defense position. "Nocturnal" monsters flipped this way keep their Fear Counters.
Once per turn, if a monster you control is selected as an attack target while it is in face-down Defense position, it cannot be destroyed for that single battle.

1003841288_EggSacCard.jpg.efb9503e0228f53c3e3969bbe3afdc58.jpg

NOCTURNAL EGG SAC

SPELL CARD / CONTINUOUS

Destroy this card at the beginning of your third standby phase after its activation.
At that time, you can special summon two "Nocturnal" monster from your hand or deck.

1342561808_FlamesCard.jpg.3695c3a06e376b7385123c480659a16a.jpg

NOCTURNAL FLAMES

SPELL CARD / EQUIP

When this card is activated, your opponent loses 100 life points for every Fear Counter on their side of the field
Then, all face-down monsters on your side of the field are flipped to face-up Attack position. Their flip effects are activated at this time.

1235892734_ParasiteCard.jpg.40babc7bffb8bbb7fad298229e6922a8.jpg

NOCTURNAL PARASITE

SPELL CARD / EQUIP

Equip this card only to a monster controlled by your opponent. Every time the equipped monster declares an attack or activates its effect, it loses 200 ATK and its controller takes 200 points of damage to their life points.
If control of the equipped monster switches, destroy this card and restore the monster's original ATK.

102464904_SensesCard.jpg.2a1403ef10a42d4a358a04efe86e50ad.jpg

NOCTURNAL SENSES

TRAP CARD

You can activate this card when you normal or special summon a "Nocturnal" monster.
Reveal all of your opponent's spell and trap cards (their effects are not activated) and select one of them. Destroy that card and return the others to their original positions.

203768101_ThornWallCard.jpg.b0a1751fef22400391e3cee59302620e.jpg

NOCTURNAL THORN WALL

TRAP CARD

You can activate this card when one of your opponent's monsters attacks a "Nocturnal" monster you control.
You can destroy either or both monsters, and your opponent loses 500 LP for each monster destroyed by this effect.

73490783_BloodRushCard.jpg.0c5fd53c7984aeea9c6e79800842c912.jpg

NOCTURNAL BLOOD RUSH

TRAP CARD

This card can only be activated if your LP is below 2000.

You can Special Summon up to 3 "Nocturnal" Monsters from your Deck to your side of the field.

Then, activate one of these effects:

-Destroy 1 monster on the field that has at least 1 Fear Counter on them.

-Gain 1000 LP.

1199701563_ArmyCard.jpg.51bddec6b02434a2aecec0e2b7e82aa3.jpg

NOCTURNAL ARMY

DARK - 3 STARS

INSECT / XYZ / EFFECT

3 level 4 "Nocturnal" monsters
Once per turn, you can detach a material card from this card to inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent's life points.

ATK 2200 / DEF 2000

2053812656_SwarmCard.jpg.cfc767b2a0a385d073123e4193a6a942.jpg

NOCTURNAL SWARM

DARK - 3 STARS

INSECT / XYZ / EFFECT

3 level 3 "Nocturnal" monsters
Once per turn, you can detach a material card from this card and special summon the detached card to your side of the field.

ATK 2000 / DEF 2200

@BlackwaterNoble
First of all: I don't like freaking IRL Insects xD. I don't have fobia against any of them , I just don't like them, lol. Well, those giant moths disgust me a lot, but it doesn't reach a fobia). I don't have the same problem with drawings in a similar style to that of a Pokemon, actually, I like a lot of Bug-Type Pokes... So, I didn't specially enjoy this archetype's pictures, haha, but I can't deny it has style.

Anyway, here's a basic tip for future card creation: It's been a while since Konami changed the "Type / Flip" to "Type / Flip / Effect".

Ok, so, the Deck is pretty simple to understand. Lots of Fear Counters, lots of ATK increase/Decrease, lots of Burn damage, lots of ugly bugs. The problem with the Deck is that it's relatively slow. Despite being Bugs, it's hard to swarm the deck with them, and even though they can keep weakening foes and strengthening themselves, there are tons of effects nowadays that can destroy them without flipping, and it'll be pretty hard for them to make a come back once the opponent has established a field, as there are no devastating effects to turn the tables. There is one card that is quite terrifying, and that's the freaking Fly. +500 damage each time you inflict Effect Damage is pretty obscene, considering it isn't even restricted to damage inflicted by the archetype,but also usable by any Burn deck. If you manage to place 2 or even three of these fellows on the field and have ways of inflicting Effect damage twice or thrice, that's an automatic 3000-4500 extra damage, holy crap. My favourite cards in the archetype are the two Traps (not their artwork, tho xD). It's fun to be able to check the whole of the opponent's backrow and pick the one you like. Considering how strong Traps are nowadays, I'd say it's ok if only the opponent gets destroyed with the Thorn Wall, but still handy.

There are a ton of mistakes here and there with the grammar, honestly I feel a lil' overwhelming to correct all of them, but at least let me try giving you a formula for the shared Flip effect of the buggies:

FLIP: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; place 1 Fear Counter on it (max. 3) "Nocturnal" monsters gain 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them. Non-"Nocturnal" monsters lose 200 ATK/DEF for each Fear Counter on them.

@Rayfield Lumina Thanks for all the feedback!

So what I'm hearing is:

• Don't be afraid to make the cards stronger. (I'd probably look at making the effects stronger, I don't want the monsters' base stats to be super strong)
  • Work on text structure (I remember when I made them, I was mostly trying to follow established structure for similar effect)
  • Introduce a card that has potential to turn the tide.

I'll read over all the text at some point, I'll probably spot the structure problems myself. Thanks for your time!

Coincidentally, Bug-Type Pokemon are among my favorites 😉

before we start, due to irl business or any factor that will take to long to explain, im usually review in parts across 2+ days (especially for big set) and hopefully with combination chances and your respond i will do my best to complete the review (or even editing the ones already posted) as soon as possible

-with that out of the way in general-

i echo the flip monster require the flip typing (Insect/ Flip / Effect).  i also echo what rayfield said about amping up the card power a bit, the word of advice is better to accidentally create something overpowered rather than making under-powered cards since former is easier to be navigate balancing process (though this not justified for making another "DBZ GOKU CARDS IS UNBEATABLE HELL YEAH" lol, those goku card maker with their-rant* rant*) ehem back to the topic, i actually want the Fear counter to do more than just stat manipulation since this is also once a problem with Alien archetype. even with A Counter reduce 300 those counter is pretty useless until Aliens have mean to turn the counter as fuel to a different effects. whit that in mind i suggest you remove the Max 3 clause of the counter effects

another thing that konami do when they try to make Flip monster good either make the Flip Effect a better half of the effect while it has good-but-a-non flip effect (Shaddoll) has quick ablities that can be activated while face-down (Deus X-Krawler) or have ability to re-set themselves (flip rock and Ghostrick)

-individual cards

Arachnea Rex: this is a really interesting design being both a Flip Monster that also a Nomi (Nomi is a semi official term for monster that has ultra specific summon condition and for the most part player have to fulfill that condition. example: Vennominanga)  which at first kinda counter-productive since you want to set a Flip Monster rather than summon it face up. which i kinda have a bit of expectation that the flip effect should be the strong ones since you need to jump extra hoops to summon this face up > use effect to set it. but as the card its self since Fear Counter is kinda weak the flip effect overall is not really rewarding on top of that rather sub-par stat for level 6. that being said though, this card is indeed stupid easy to summon using a method that arguebly very very strong for its kind in this game if not for the fact the deck severely lacking with GY based effect. sending 5 cards from ypur deck is practically free advantage and GY setup even the meta deck could only dream of (which also the reason konami afraid of making reptile support since Snake's Rain does the same thing)

Hornet: flip effect is pretty much same as the rest of the archetype so i wont bother much for the rest of these. this hornet guy really need more power though, burn is to small for casual play and have no much utility of swarm other members like most insect deck do

Maggot: this card might actually OP by accident, the special summon effect isnt HOPT and pretty much summon anything non-xyz including another copy of this card so its pretty much undying. but i can also see this card use in other deck as infinite self-destruction-effect's fodder for things like Metalfoes

Scarab: well interlocking battle protection using 2 Scarab do can catch your opponent off guard. but you need means to protect them from effects though

Fly: its Dark Room of the Nightmare turn into monster. which is not that good...until i notice it lack certain wording that the spell card had which is "except *card name*" which means this once your opponent take a burn this card will infinite loop the additional damage by itself which is really OP

Moth: and we back with the low power level. its such minuscule stat gain for that specific trigger

Mantis: 300 LP is penalty even for casual format IMO. so yeah need extra utility and power-up

Leech: while is not thta big of a burn, i do appreciate that this trigger of any means it sent to GY which does amp up its uses

Eclipse: it such unique field spell i actually kinda like it, the effect that allow counters to stay on face-down card is quite experimental though some rule lawyer-type player will probably find it as cheating. for that sake you might want to copy the design of Citadel of Endymion with extra effect that will absorb Fear counter when card with fear counter turned to face-down the rest of the effect is servicable for casual format though

Sac: to be honest this is too slow. crank up the speed and add effect that prevent the summoned monster to be use as tribute or material except to summon another Nocturnal Monster

Flames: too small of a burn, its best utility is the mass flip-up it does but i see this as a missed chance however since you can actually improve its effect into a better but archetypal version of Book of Eclipse. the last part of it trigger flip effect is redundant though

Parasite: too specific for a card that the deck it self not really specialize. it dont interact with fear counter, stat debuff is too small, the burn is outclassed by REBMD and while the last effect is cute the deck dont have its own way to kidnapping the equipped card

Sense: well all trap cards by nature is slow but by the way this work is even slower. its just too bad since the rest of the effect are actually pretty decent for casual format though

Wall: well this card backfire the rest of the deck design hard. unless you got better trade you actually want to keep flip monster on the field to do its flip thing

Rush: its actually good effects but came a little to late. slow to setup by nature of trap you need to draw

Army: well this is too expensive for what it does. to much material requirement that also specific not to mention unlike regular flip monster Xyz cannot be summoned face-down thus need to be manually set facedown

Swarm: slightly better but still the same problem with army above

Thanks for the feedback friends! I haven't had the time to re-generate the cards themselves, but I edited the text.

Things of note:

• Added the text for Nocturnal Flames (didn't realize I had forgotten that).
  • Added the Nocturnal Blood Rush card (this would be the card that turns the tide).
  • Slight stat adjustment on cards.
  • Card effect changes.
  • Fixed text structure and grammar.

@Dr. Jolly Glot the IIII know Arachnea Rex's ATK & DEF are low for a 7* monsters, but I really wanted her to rely on her effects. I modified them so that Special Summon is an option rather than a requirement. Either way, before she's able to enter the field it's almost guaranteed that there will be Fear Counters on the field that she can take advantage of. With her modified effects, do you feel like she could still use a stat boost? I was thinking maybe 2400/2400.

Archived