If Characters from other shows were duelists

Horu

The basis of this game is simple. You design a deck to suit the designated character. The deck can be both existing and custom cards.

The one rule is that the deck has to fit the theme of the designated character.

So to start the show, I'll choose an easy one:

Let's start with Batman

Making a whole deck, or just a few cards/archetype?  I think the latter might fit a bit better into this section...

But, in any case, I'd imagine Batman would use some kind of unholy mix of SPYRALs and Equip-centric Warrior monsters (Infernoble Knights?).

I can't put together a deck that effectively mixes these elements right now but some fake cards to add:

Nightmare Daggers (Batarangs)
Equip Spell
The equipped monster gains 500 ATK.  If this card is sent to the GY because of a card effect or because the equipped monster was sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 monster you control; that monster loses 300 ATK, and if it does, you can equip this card from your GY to it.  You can only equip 1 "Nightmare Daggers" to a monster by this effect per turn.

Smoke Grenade of the Assassin (Stealth)
Equip Spell
If this card is added from your Deck or GY to your hand, you can target 1 monster on the field: Equip this card from your hand to that target.  This card cannot be equipped to your own monsters except by its first effect.  The equipped monster cannot be targeted by other card effects.  If this card is sent to the GY because the equipped monster was sent from the field to the GY: You can add 1 random card from your opponent's hand to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Smoke Grenade of the Assassin" once per turn.

Life Tether (Grappling Hook)
Equip Spell
Target 1 monster in your GY; Special Summon that target and equip it with this card.  The equipped monster's effects are negated and it cannot attack nor be used as Material.  If this card leaves the field, banish it.

Cycle of Preparation (Computer/Prep Time)
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase, if you control a Warrior monster(s): You can target 1 Equip Spell in your GY; equip it to 1 Warrior monster you control.  You can send this card to the GY and target 3 Equip Spells in your GY; your opponent randomly chooses 1 to add to your hand, and the rest are shuffled into your Deck.  You can only control 1 "Cycle of Preparation".

Decommissioned Tech (Updating Gadgets)
Spell
Destroy 1 Equip Spell you control, and if you do, draw 2 cards.  You can only activate 1 "Decommissioned Tech" per turn.

Next Character: Harry Potter

Batman deck core/idea:

SPYRAL Package

Infernoble Knight Package

Sublimation Knight

Immortal Phoenix Gearfried

Handtrap mix

ROTA

Hidden Armory + Armory Call

Evenly Matched

Unending Nightmare

~~~

I'm not a real comic reader so my thought process may be completely off, but I don't actually see Batman as a very proactive hero.  He is proactive in setting things up and preparing for the worst, but he doesn't seem to do much to prevent that from happening in the first place.  Again, I am probably mischaracterizing him, so I'm sorry for that, but that's the logic I'm using going into his strategy.

Batman would like to go first, but his goal in going first is to secure all the resources he'd need for a strong second turn.  Because of this, I don't see him setting up huge negate boards on turn 1, but instead run a deck that can break the opponent's board on turn 3.  I was really debating on adding Phoenix Gearfried (since that felt more like a Superman card than a Batman card), but given the strategy, a Phoenix Gearfried would be the perfect card for this type of play style.

1 hour ago, Mr Melon said:

Making a whole deck, or just a few cards/archetype?  I think the latter might fit a bit better into this section...

But, in any case, I'd imagine Batman would use some kind of unholy mix of SPYRALs and Equip-centric Warrior monsters (Infernoble Knights?).

I can't put together a deck that effectively mixes these elements right now but some fake cards to add:

Nightmare Daggers (Batarangs)
Equip Spell
The equipped monster gains 500 ATK.  If this card is sent to the GY because of a card effect or because the equipped monster was sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 monster you control; that monster loses 300 ATK, and if it does, you can equip this card from your GY to it.  You can only equip 1 "Nightmare Daggers" to a monster by this effect per turn.

Smoke Grenade of the Assassin (Stealth)
Equip Spell
If this card is added from your Deck or GY to your hand, you can target 1 monster on the field: Equip this card from your hand to that target.  This card cannot be equipped to your own monsters except by its first effect.  The equipped monster cannot be targeted by other card effects.  If this card is sent to the GY because the equipped monster was sent from the field to the GY: You can add 1 random card from your opponent's hand to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Smoke Grenade of the Assassin" once per turn.

Life Tether (Grappling Hook)
Equip Spell
Target 1 monster in your GY; Special Summon that target and equip it with this card.  The equipped monster's effects are negated and it cannot attack nor be used as Material.  If this card leaves the field, banish it.

Cycle of Preparation (Computer/Prep Time)
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase, if you control a Warrior monster(s): You can target 1 Equip Spell in your GY; equip it to 1 Warrior monster you control.  You can send this card to the GY and target 3 Equip Spells in your GY; your opponent randomly chooses 1 to add to your hand, and the rest are shuffled into your Deck.  You can only control 1 "Cycle of Preparation".

Decommissioned Tech (Updating Gadgets)
Spell
Destroy 1 Equip Spell you control, and if you do, draw 2 cards.  You can only activate 1 "Decommissioned Tech" per turn.

Next Character: Harry Potter

Batman deck core/idea:

Hide contents

SPYRAL Package

Infernoble Knight Package

Sublimation Knight

Immortal Phoenix Gearfried

Handtrap mix

ROTA

Hidden Armory + Armory Call

Evenly Matched

Unending Nightmare

~~~

I'm not a real comic reader so my thought process may be completely off, but I don't actually see Batman as a very proactive hero.  He is proactive in setting things up and preparing for the worst, but he doesn't seem to do much to prevent that from happening in the first place.  Again, I am probably mischaracterizing him, so I'm sorry for that, but that's the logic I'm using going into his strategy.

Batman would like to go first, but his goal in going first is to secure all the resources he'd need for a strong second turn.  Because of this, I don't see him setting up huge negate boards on turn 1, but instead run a deck that can break the opponent's board on turn 3.  I was really debating on adding Phoenix Gearfried (since that felt more like a Superman card than a Batman card), but given the strategy, a Phoenix Gearfried would be the perfect card for this type of play style.

Actually liked this because it pretty much follows Batman's general plan. Pretty much, Turn 1 is to see what you're up against and from Turn 3 forward, you continue to wreck your opponent. I like how the Turn 1 is a setup or intentional loss so you can study your opponent. So your theme more fits Batman's strategic side.

Now on to Harry Potter. I see a rather generic magician theme here. Maybe a generic Dark Magician Deck with a few ideas.

Magical Phoenix

Fire

Pyro/Effect

Lv4

1500/1800

Gains ATK equal to the number of face-up Spellcaster monsters you control ×200. 

Magician's Gryphon

Wind

Winged Beast/Union

Lv4

1400/1200C

Canbe equipped to 1 face-up Spellcaster monster you control. The equipped monster gains 1000 ATK/DEF during your Battle Phase. If the equipped monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: send 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls to the GY. If the equipped monsters would be destroyed; destroy this card instead.

[\spoiler]

These are based on the phoenix and griffin that appear within the first few movies/books

Next Character: Sesshomaru

Horu, this could become a fun game, but first you need to clarify the rules for us. Like Mr. Melon said, are we to create a Deck or an Archetype? Consider people won't want to spend a lot of time making a whole Deck for the game, (at least that's what i think). Then again, if it were making cards to create an archetype, then this would be pretty much a second version of the Create an Archetype Game, except the prompt is a well-known character instead of anything that comes to mind. You could set rules such as making 3-5 Custom archetypal cards and also add 3-5 Official cards. The content must be 8 in combination, so it's your pick if you want a 5/3, 3/5 or 4/4 combination. Something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived