Spellsummon Sorcerer

TheWanderingMist

I'm putting this in here because I'm pretty sure it counts as "experimental". At the very least, I don't think there's anything quite like it yet.

Spellsummon Sorcerer

DARK

Spellcaster

Level 9

ATK 2900/DEF 2800

Effect: Cannot be Special Summoned. Once per turn, and only once that turn, you can reveal 1 monster in your hand whose text states that it cannot be Normal Summoned/Set and can only be Summoned by the effect of a card listed in its text. This card's name becomes the listed card's name and its effect becomes this effect, until the End Phase: Pay half your LP. Special Summon 1 monster with the revealed monster's name from your hand. You can only use this effect once per turn and only once that turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say goodbye to needing "Release Restraint", "The First Sarcophagus", "Legend of Heart", etc., this card's your one-stop shop for dropping dead draw Spells.

Technically speaking this is not yet experimental. Though the closest part of it would be this card gaining name from text which atleast IMO its not that far-fetch since there already many card that interact with on-text-names like LV Monster and Golden Castle Strombreg. That being said however i think you might need to tone down somethings like putting limitation on what it could summon since its also work with monster that either; originally still can be summon with easier hoops like those OR had way better payoff when it bypassed like Vennominaga 

14 hours ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

Technically speaking this is not yet experimental. Though the closest part of it would be this card gaining name from text which atleast IMO its not that far-fetch since there already many card that interact with on-text-names like LV Monster and Golden Castle Strombreg. That being said however i think you might need to tone down somethings like putting limitation on what it could summon since its also work with monster that either; originally still can be summon with easier hoops like those OR had way better payoff when it bypassed like Vennominaga 

So, if I want to keep the effect as-is, I need a steeper cost, is what you're saying.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:21 PM, TheWanderingMist said:

So, if I want to keep the effect as-is, I need a steeper cost, is what you're saying.

Not exactly like that, although a lite version of "a Wild monster appears!" As additional cost could fo

What i mean is more on what kind of monster this card could summon. Maybe for instance forbid monster that has capacity to instantly win games (example: you can reveal 1 monster in your hand that cannot be Normal Summoned/Set except monster that has either "win the Duel" or "Lose the Duel" in its text). While fortunately such monster card pool's is still small but there no telling in future given this card genericness

Actually... if I'm understanding this correctly, I think this is pretty much fine as-is given the difficulty in summoning this is still really high and you also need to have the appropriate monster in your hand (most of them I believe are pretty much unsearchable).  I think the only change I'd make would be to remove spellsummon sorcerer so you can't just use the effect every turn.

I need to look up what other specific cards this bypasses, but Vennominaga is probably the most threatening.  Still, at that point, if a player manages to summon 'naga through this then they deserve the win.

3 hours ago, Mr Melon said:

Actually... if I'm understanding this correctly, I think this is pretty much fine as-is given the difficulty in summoning this is still really high and you also need to have the appropriate monster in your hand (most of them I believe are pretty much unsearchable).  I think the only change I'd make would be to remove spellsummon sorcerer so you can't just use the effect every turn.

I need to look up what other specific cards this bypasses, but Vennominaga is probably the most threatening.  Still, at that point, if a player manages to summon 'naga through this then they deserve the win.

Do you mean to make it blow itself up when it does this, since it can't Summon itself with this effect?

54 minutes ago, TheWanderingMist said:

Do you mean to make it blow itself up when it does this, since it can't Summon itself with this effect?

Yeah, just so you don't get to use it turn after turn.

In a casual setting, I imagine 1 resolution is enough, and in a more competitive setting this card won't stick around for more than a single turn anyway.

Of course, this is personal opinion just based on flavor (i.e. the sorcerer turns itself into the summoning item). There is no real mechanical or balancing reason for it.

Archived