Garuru Archtype [Written]

Thomas★Zero

So Garuru is a WATER Beast theme that focus's on agrro with Xyz Summoning and stuning and destroying your opponents cards.

Garuru Pup
lv 3 WATER
Beast/Effect
If you control a "Garuru" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from yor hand.) You can only Special Summon "Garuru Pup" once per turn this way. If this card is used as Xyz Material for a "Garuru" Xyz monster, it gains the following effect.
* If this card is Xyz Summoned: Add 1 "Garuru" card from your Deck to your hand.
ATK/300 DEF/300

Garuru Claw
lv 3 WATER
Beast/Effect
If your opponent activates a Spell Card (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand); negate the activation and destroy it, also until your next End Phase, you cannot Special Summon monsters except Beast monsters. You can only use this effect of "Garuru Claw" once per turn. If this card is used as Xyz Material for a "Garuru" Xyz monster, it gains the following effect. 
* If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until after damage calculation.
ATK/1200 DEF/800

Garuru Fang
lv 3 WATER
Beast/Effect
If your opponent activates a Monster Effect (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand); negate the activation and destroy it, also until your next End Phase, you cannot Special Summon monsters except Beast monsters. You can only use this effect of "Garuru Fang" once per turn. If this card is used as Xyz Material for a "Garuru" Xyz monster, it gains the following effect.
* Once per turn when your opponent activates a Monster Effect (Quick Effect): Inflict 1200 points of damage to your opponent.
ATK/1200 DEF/800

Garuru Tail
lv 3 WATER
Beast/Effect
If your opponent activates a Trap Card (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand); negate the activation and destroy it, also until your next End Phase, you cannot Special Summon monsters except Beast monsters. You can only use this effect of "Garuru Tail" once per turn. If this card is used as Xyz Material for a "Garuru" Xyz monster, it gains the following effect.
* Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponents card effects.
ATK/1200 DEF/1600

Garuru Garou
Rank 3 WATER
Beast/Xyz/Effect
2+ Level 3 Beast monster
Gains 200 ATK and DEF for each card attached to this card as Xyz Material. You can only use the following effects of "Garuru Garou" once per turn.
* (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; attach 1 monster your opponent controls to this card as Xyz Material, also this card cannot attack during the Battle Phase this turn. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in responce to the activation of this effect. 
* (Quick Effect): Target 1 Spell/Trap Card your oppnent controls; attach the targted card to this card as Xyz Material.
ATK/2000 DEF/2000

Garuru Fenrir
Rank 3 WATER
Beast/Xyz/Effect
2+ Level 3 Beast monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. You can only use the following effects of "Garuru Fenrir" once per turn.
* (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 monster your opponent controls; return the targeted card to the hand.
* (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material form this card and target 1 face-down Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; your opponent cannot activate the targeted card (even when this card leaves the field.)
ATK/2400 DEF/2000

Garuru Pack
Spell Card
Add up to 3 "Garuru" monsters from your GY to your hand, also for the rest of this turn, you cannot Special Summon monsters except WATER Beast monsters. You can only activate 1 "Garuru Pack" per turn.

Garuru Cry
Quick-Play Spell Card
After activation, apply 1 of the following effects.
* Add 1 "Garuru" monster to your Deck to your hand.
* Special Summon 1 "Garuru" monster from your Deck in Defense Position, also until your next End Phase, you cannot Special Summon monsters except Beast monsters.
You can only activate 1 "Garuru Cry" per turn.

Garuru Agression
Continous Spell Card
"Garuru" monsters you control gain 800 ATK. When a "Garuru" monster attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict peircing battle damage. If a "Garuru" monster(s) would be destroyed by battle or by an opponents card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

Garuru Moonlight
Field Spell
All Beast monsters gain 600 ATK. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Garuru" monster from your hand, also for the rest of the turn, you cannot Special Summon monsters except Beast monsters. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in responce to the activation of "Garuru" Spell/Trap Cards. You can only activate 1 "Garuru Moonlight" per turn.

Garuru Roar
Trap Card
If you control a "Garuru" Xyz monster, you can activate this card from your hand. Your opponent cannot declare an attack this turn, also, if this card is activated in responce to an opponents monster attacking, negate that attack, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that monsters original ATK.

Garuru Ambush
Counter Trap Card
If you control a "Garuru" Xyz monster, you can activate this card from your hand. If your opponent activates a Spell/Trap card or a Monster effect. Negate the activation and destroy it. When a monster would be Summoned: You can banish this card from your GY; negate the summon, and if you do, destroy it. You can only activate each effect of "Garuru Ambush" once per turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Thomas,
I don't really know where to begin with here, so I think I will start off by evaluating the whole archetype idea. The concept makes me think of Psy-Frames, even though it seems alot stronger to me. I'd probably like to know a bit more about the lore behind this archetype, as all I see right now is just WATER Beasts, which do stuff from the hand. Anyhow as we've seen in the past, handtraps are growing more and more relevant, but handtrap archetypes, like the Heralds of Light and Psy-Frames were pretty underwhelming even on release. Both of these older archetypes had outstanding weaknesses. Card balance for Heralds and the field restriction for Psy-Frames, aswell as huge consistancy issues for both archetypes. Your archetype doesn't seem to share any of these weaknesses, which one the one hand makes it quite interesting, but on the other hand might also bare balance issues.
Overall your PSCT seems to be very well, as I could not find any errors when I first read through the cards.
"Garuru Pup" seems to be something like the key card, that you would want to see in as many hands as possible, especially going first, as it provides a free body, and a +1 card balance if you manage to Xyz Summon using it. It might actually be slightly overpowered, regarding it can search for Pack, Cry and Ambush, which can all generate a pretty big advantage, but I see the need for strong extenders as the archetype itself feels pretty defensive and can't really threaten the opponent without going into Xyz plays.
The three handtrap cards are a little weird to me since they Summon theirselves as cost, which I havent seen on any card yet and also seem really strong as they can catch the opponent off  guard and also generate a +1 card balance. In a direct comparison to Heralds (-1 card balance) this is a big amount of powercreep. All three of them are really good cards, as they can safely be Summoned upon chaining to an opponent's effect and also negate it if they resolve. Since they cannot be affected by anything like "Called By The Grave" and their Summon cannot be negated, furthermore the downside of locking yourself into Beast monsters doesn't hurt the Deck to much, as I don't think that it needs any additional engines, but in times of cards like Halquifibrax and Linkross, it might be okay.
"Garuru Claw" also buffs a Xyz monster with the classic Ancient Gear protection during battles, which seems absolutely fine to me, even though I don't really get why a Deck consisting of handtraps, that also plays "Garuru Agression" and "Garuru Roar", which provides protection, need another form of protection for its monsters.
"Garuru Fang" gives the Xyz monster a pretty solid burn effect, that pretty much sets the opponent on a 6-turn-counter as basically no Deck doesn't use monster effects. I guess this leaves space for counterplay, but also doesn't seem necessary in a Deck of handtraps.
"Garuru Tail" makes me ask the same question that came to my mind reading Claw's effect: Why would the Xyz monster need additional protection, when you got super effective handtraps and Agression, that can protect it.
"Garuru Garou" is a beast of a card regarding that it's just a generic Rank 3 for any Deck that can play Beasts and has 2 absolutely overpowered effects. A Spell Speed 4 Quick Effect sucking up a monster not even targeting is basically the strongest form of removal I've ever heard of. Also this effect can be used as often as you want to, as it will keep getting new Xyz Materials. Same rules apply to the Spell/Trap absorption. And then these effects don't even share a hard once per turn, so you can generate a +2 card advantage every turn. All of this from just 2 Level 3 Beast monsters. This card is definetely broken beyond limits.
"Garuru Fenrir" actually seems like a bug in comparison to the other Xyz monster. Both of its effects do target and it can only use 2 effects in total, because the Xyz Material can run out, also the effects are much weaker than Garou's, even though they are still not weak for a generic Rank 3. Since it has the same stats as a 2 Material Garou and even less DEF. The Battle Protection doesn't really do much since you have Agression to protect your monsters anyway. I wouldn't even consider playing this while there is a card like Garou to be honest.
"Garuru Pack" is a really strong card giving you a +2 card balance with the correct setup. I actually already thought about "Salvage" being a real strong card in this Deck, since it gives you +1 card balance aswell as 2 negates, if you just get your handtraps back, but Pack is even stronger. You basically activate 1 card to generate 3 negates, that cannot even be stopped by cards like "Dark Ruler No More" or Kaijus. In my opinion, this card is a little bit to strong.
"Garuru Cry" might actually seem pretty strong but since it doesn't push your card balance and most of the valid monsters are stronger in your hand anyway, it shouldn't be to much of a big deal, but it will help the consistancy alot.
"Garuru Agression" is a really good protection for your Xyz monsters and the 800 ATk boost is not to be neglected. I also like the way how this card protects your monsters, as it doesn't just give them immunity to effects, but sort of works like a "Dinomist" Pendulum Scale.
I didn't think "Garuru Moonlight" would be to strong until I read the "Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in responce to the activation of "Garuru" Spell/Trap Cards.". this one is a huge problem for most Decks and you should probably consider giving it a cost like in "Sky Striker Mecha - Multirole"
"Garuru Roar" is a solid battle protection for all of your monsters and I guess it might be helpful in the first turns, when you slap multiple handtraps on the field and don't want your opponent to overrun them. Anyway it seems relatively underpowered in comparision to the other "Garuru" cards.
"Garuru Ambush" is basically the strongest Counter Trap I've ever seen. It doesn't only omni negate and destroy for free, but it's also generic and can furthermore stop a Summon from GY. It'd even be worth using Foolish Burial Goods to send this to the GY, because many Decks are reliant on their Normal Summon. And I didn't even talk about being activated from the hand. This card is, just like Garou, definetely overpowered and much to generic.
All in all the archetype's concept and playstyle can be said to be quite interesting and relatively safe competitively viable. I'd appreciate if you considered toning down some of the cards, which I pointed out as very overpowered and hope my evaluation helped you in some way.
Kind regards,
Messoras

Archived