How dead is the Advanced Card Design Forum?

Messoras

Question

2 answers to this question

To be fair, the site itself is not the most active place in the world.  But to answer your question, it's pretty dead probably because of what the Advanced section is.  It's for designing with the current meta in mind, so it makes sense.

It also doesn't help that you need two to tango (so to speak).  While one person may design for Advanced, if they want critique, another person familiar with the meta also has to respond.  It's generally more likely for a person to get general critique in Casual, so it becomes a loop (Casual gets more responses > people want responses > they post to Casual > Casual gets more responses).  You also can't respond with something quick like "cool Archetype!" in Advanced, so cards that are good but not meaningfully notable in any way just don't get responses.  In Casual, the level of creativity is higher which (again) feeds into the loop.

Of course, nothing stops anyone from posting in Advanced, but it has a different focus.

As for me personally, I guess I still post there from time to time.  Mostly singles though, and not very often anymore since I'm out of touch with what's meta.  I don't usually respond unless something really piques my interest or if there's a post that supports an archetype I'm really familiar with.  I'm sure others who post cards have their own reasons for posting/not posting in Advanced.

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be much action at all around here. It's sad because with over 2 million contributions, the forum seems like it used to be quite big, but I obviously joined right at the wrong time. I was just hoping to find a platform where you can discuss in a dignified manner, as an alternative to all the Discord Servers, where each submitted Custom Card is followed by more Custom Cards, Meta discussion, Deck Building discussion and an extended chat about the weather. Maybe the community we have become just doesn't mean to evaluate or listen, but just to produce and talk, but let's try not seeing black here.

I'll probably still take a glance at the forum from time to time until I found an alternative, but for now it seems like I'm pretty much gone as fast as I came. Does someone know a good alternative forum with some active users tho?

Best regards,
Messoras

P.S: I wonder how fast you reacted to this thread, as I didn't think anyone would even look into the said forum.

Archived