Stax Card

Deadstop Turtle Wizard

lv 6 DARK Aqua Tuner effect monster

1300 ATK

2600 DEF

(Quick-Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 3 cards from your GY and discarding 1 card. (Quick-Effect): While this card is in your GY, you can Special Summon this card from your GY by sending 1 card you control to the GY and sending the top 3 cards from your Deck to the GY. While this card is in Defense Position, monsters Normal Summoned, Flipped Summoned or, Special Summoned are changed to Defense Position. While this card is in Defense Position,  Both players must Set Spell cards and Trap Cards before activating them, and cannot activate them until their next turn after Setting them. You can only control 1 "Deadstop Turtle Wizard". You can only Special Sommon "Deadstop Turtle Wizard" once per turn.

Tell me what you think of the card? 

Before getting into the review, there's some grammatical errors here and there, and it refers to itself by two different name in the card text. However, I thing the PSCT is solid, so it's just lil things here and there (comma splice etc.), and I still get what the card is doing.

I think it's a really interesting concept. Quite a steep activation cost, but the recursion cost from the GY is not too bad depending on the decks built around it. I think it's a bit strong being able to just dead-drop this card from your hand, but since it's summon can't be negated it can still be stopped by something like a Solemn, and since it can only be SS once per turn it's potential is limited. However, where I see this being used to full effect would be in a strat to:

1: SS from your hand on your Opponent's turn in Defence Position, in response to a card activation/Summon

2: Immediately Syncro Summon on your turn (possibly into something like Trish)

3: SS from the GY into Defence Position in MP2, so you have a chance to set your board up before it comes back.

In some ways I think this card is a little too good, however. As shown above, you can easily make this a very one-sided flood gate, and whilst it doesn't prevent Monster Effects, stopping Spell Cards and Hand Traps (that are traps) is pretty strong to stop your opponent from accessing whilst you still have free access to them. Plus, forcing everything to be summoned into Defence Position stops it from being taken out by battle in one turn, which means you could probably pull this combo off at least twice before combat becomes an option for your opponent to deal with this card. Having said that, it is killable with monster effects, so some meta cards can easily destroy it (Dragoon for example), and it can still be hit by Tribute cards (Kaiju, Sphere Mode etc.), and it doesn't negate (or even facilitate negates) of board wipes, so something like AA-Zeus would be totally fine against it.

All in all, a really decent card! Might be a bit overturned, but the cost can make up for that. A fun card to build around, maybe not so fun to come up against

Archived