Impregnable Bubble Magician

Rayfield Lumina

580552647_ImpregnableBubbleMagician.thumb.png.327984b378bc98ab5947f4287ed061a6.png

Impregnable Bubble Magician

WATER                      Level 1

Spellcaster / Tuner / Effect

This card's Special Summon and effect cannot be negated. During your Draw Phase, if only your opponent controls a card(s), or if your opponent controls at least 3 more cards than you do and this card is in your hand, before you draw: You can give up your normal draw this turn, and if you do, Special Summon this card. If Summoned this way: Cards in your possession are unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of this turn, also your opponent takes no further damage this turn.

ATK 0 / DEF 1500

Whew, I dared to post this card in Realistic, because there's where I want this card to work, but I'd like to learn with this post if possible. What do you think of this card? Evidently, the main purpose if this bubble-creating little girl is to solve the crucial problem of going second, which in tons of cases spells doom for you. It costs you your draw (in a sense, making you play with the same number of hands your opponent who went first did), requires only the opponent to control cards (pretty automatic for turn 2) and cancels damage. In exchange, almost absolute protection, not to mention the auto special summon of the card. So, the pro seems pretty high, while the con would be this card becoming pretty dead in most cases if you don't draw it first turn, though your opponent might think twice about nuking your field mid game if they can't kill you that turn. I'm open to suggestions. Should this card be stronger or weaker?

Thanks for any critique and comment n.n

On one hand, it is super situational because you can't exactly search/draw into it the turn you wanna use it, giving it a bigger waiting window than most decks would want to go through. It also requires a completely empty field, which is either after a nuke (where the opponent is likely pushing for game right there) or your opening play.

Dimension Shifter has what I think is a lot worse of a condition to make it live and it somehow found its way into competitive builds (which I still to this day don't understand why people would risk such a brick for the sake of a potential game opener hand trap but clearly it was doing something). I have no doubt your card would be ran for a similar kind of niche use, as it allows you to go off with no fear and establish full field. Bonus points that Fairy Tail Luna can search it, Salvage can retrieve it, it is a Tuner. "Possessed Partnerships" is also nothing to sneeze at, that 1500 DEF is not only compatible with Charmer themes or Fairy Tails, but Dogmatika Ecclesia covers that front as well, and the engine of "Dogmatika Punishment" searches is one of my favorite ones to use in recent times. Granted, those are more "setup and wait for reactions" plays that wouldn't achieve the best use of your card which is to allow you to drop an unbreakable board combo of like 20 minute solitaire plays xD... there's a lot going for this card.

The protection also is live enough if your deck allows you to protect yourself enough to stretch the game even after searching her.
It isn't my personal preferred style of play to aim to make it live, but the card still has potential.
For some reason also came to my mind the "Goddess of Sweet Revenge" with a pretty sweet effect with an incredibly narrow window to use it.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, Sleepy said:

On one hand, it is super situational because you can't exactly search/draw into it the turn you wanna use it, giving it a bigger waiting window than most decks would want to go through. It also requires a completely empty field, which is either after a nuke (where the opponent is likely pushing for game right there) or your opening play.

Dimension Shifter has what I think is a lot worse of a condition to make it live and it somehow found its way into competitive builds (which I still to this day don't understand why people would risk such a brick for the sake of a potential game opener hand trap but clearly it was doing something). I have no doubt your card would be ran for a similar kind of niche use, as it allows you to go off with no fear and establish full field. Bonus points that Fairy Tail Luna can search it, Salvage can retrieve it, it is a Tuner. "Possessed Partnerships" is also nothing to sneeze at, that 1500 DEF is not only compatible with Charmer themes or Fairy Tails, but Dogmatika Ecclesia covers that front as well, and the engine of "Dogmatika Punishment" searches is one of my favorite ones to use in recent times. Granted, those are more "setup and wait for reactions" plays that wouldn't achieve the best use of your card which is to allow you to drop an unbreakable board combo of like 20 minute solitaire plays xD... there's a lot going for this card.

The protection also is live enough if your deck allows you to protect yourself enough to stretch the game even after searching her.
It isn't my personal preferred style of play to aim to make it live, but the card still has potential.
For some reason also came to my mind the "Goddess of Sweet Revenge" with a pretty sweet effect with an incredibly narrow window to use it.

As always, thank you very much for the detailed feedback.

In short, the card has a small niche, given the difficulty of usage but great competitive use when available and multiple methods to search it or recycle it... tbh, this is pretty much my intention. But I'd like it to be more flexible if possible. There's the hard part, I'm not sure what to do. I don't think removing the empty field clause is a good idea... the plan is to use this card as help to avoid -almost- certain doom for going second, if the empty field clause is removed, even the first turn player could use it to avoid hand traps and happily set an unbeatable board. What comes to mind is diversification of the clause:

During your Draw Phase, if only your opponent controls a card(s) or your opponent controls at least 3 more cards than you do, and this card is in your hand, etc etc.

What do you think?

13 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

As always, thank you very much for the detailed feedback.

In short, the card has a small niche, given the difficulty of usage but great competitive use when available and multiple methods to search it or recycle it... tbh, this is pretty much my intention. But I'd like it to be more flexible if possible. There's the hard part, I'm not sure what to do. I don't think removing the empty field clause is a good idea... the plan is to use this card as help to avoid -almost- certain doom for going second, if the empty field clause is removed, even the first turn player could use it to avoid hand traps and happily set an unbeatable board. What comes to mind is diversification of the clause:

During your Draw Phase, if only your opponent controls a card(s) or your opponent controls at least 3 more cards than you do, and this card is in your hand, etc etc.

What do you think?

Hmmm as I was reading your reply I got a thought, maybe not so much noting your current field-state, but instead noting the opponent's cards. What you aim to do is to prevent those heavily disruptive fields from the turn 1 player like 5 omni-negate bosses, 3 set Solemns, and 4 handtraps xD 
You kind of got the the same conclusion I see, since you did write "or your opponent controls at least 3 more cards than you do".

I think you could slightly release some of that tightness of the condition, after all you are not yet immune to the opponent even after you drop this card. They can still drop something like Maxx C, Droll & Lock Bird, or all sorts of things that affect the player itself. 
Hmm I wonder how to choose the amounts to calibrate this. It IS kind of a more balanced "Cold Wave" xD
"and this card is in your hand" is probably just gonna stretch the text, you'll still probably say "special Summon this card from your hand" anyways and it is probably shorter over there. Other than that hmmm honestly 3 sounds good, the no damage clause makes me say "fair enough" hehe.

I am not extremely familiar with the current meta, but I know enough to say it is not exactly fun going second and your opponents field basically says you cannot play. Not being able to special summon, have some spell card effects negated and monster effects negated are all things that seem quite prevelant. So a card that allows you to get past some of that, at the cost of the second turn advantage of drawing, and the ability to do damage seems reasonable to me.

Some concerns I have would be, as stated in some of the discussion, its niche usability of mainly the first turn. Having an exciton knight like effect or like you suggested seems reasonable to make it live more turns. Also even if you can search or return it, you cant use it until you can skip your draw again, so that seems fine.
The other concern I have is the way it may change the balance of first and second turn. It probably helps the second turn player have the ability to actually play, but I fear that is mainly a result of the meta moving more and more towards locking your opponent out of effects and summoning. So one advantage of going second is that you get to draw, so that is covered by the effect. The other advantage of going second is that you get to do battle damage. There is another advantage of going second that isnt a rule, but going second allows you to retaliate and work with knowledge. You learn the type of deck the other player is using, you can see the monsters on the board and know what you need to do to respond or what you shouldnt do, and you can make educated decisions. You would still retain that advantage for going second, while the first player would be building that board to prepare for anything working with incomplete information.

Overall it seems quite reasonable to me, and anything that lets players just play the game instead of locking eachother out of playing, and ending the game in a turn or two, has my support ;)

20 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Hmmm as I was reading your reply I got a thought, maybe not so much noting your current field-state, but instead noting the opponent's cards. What you aim to do is to prevent those heavily disruptive fields from the turn 1 player like 5 omni-negate bosses, 3 set Solemns, and 4 handtraps xD 
You kind of got the the same conclusion I see, since you did write "or your opponent controls at least 3 more cards than you do".

I think you could slightly release some of that tightness of the condition, after all you are not yet immune to the opponent even after you drop this card. They can still drop something like Maxx C, Droll & Lock Bird, or all sorts of things that affect the player itself. 
Hmm I wonder how to choose the amounts to calibrate this. It IS kind of a more balanced "Cold Wave" xD
"and this card is in your hand" is probably just gonna stretch the text, you'll still probably say "special Summon this card from your hand" anyways and it is probably shorter over there. Other than that hmmm honestly 3 sounds good, the no damage clause makes me say "fair enough" hehe.

Alrighty, I made the change in both the image and the effect, now it's more flexible, thanks, Sleeepieee n.n

1 hour ago, Titan403 said:

I am not extremely familiar with the current meta, but I know enough to say it is not exactly fun going second and your opponents field basically says you cannot play. Not being able to special summon, have some spell card effects negated and monster effects negated are all things that seem quite prevelant. So a card that allows you to get past some of that, at the cost of the second turn advantage of drawing, and the ability to do damage seems reasonable to me.

Some concerns I have would be, as stated in some of the discussion, its niche usability of mainly the first turn. Having an exciton knight like effect or like you suggested seems reasonable to make it live more turns. Also even if you can search or return it, you cant use it until you can skip your draw again, so that seems fine.
The other concern I have is the way it may change the balance of first and second turn. It probably helps the second turn player have the ability to actually play, but I fear that is mainly a result of the meta moving more and more towards locking your opponent out of effects and summoning. So one advantage of going second is that you get to draw, so that is covered by the effect. The other advantage of going second is that you get to do battle damage. There is another advantage of going second that isnt a rule, but going second allows you to retaliate and work with knowledge. You learn the type of deck the other player is using, you can see the monsters on the board and know what you need to do to respond or what you shouldnt do, and you can make educated decisions. You would still retain that advantage for going second, while the first player would be building that board to prepare for anything working with incomplete information.

Overall it seems quite reasonable to me, and anything that lets players just play the game instead of locking eachother out of playing, and ending the game in a turn or two, has my support ;)

Wow, excellent insight! I have to say, I agree with just about everything you said. There's this part, "The other concern I have is the way it may change the balance of first and second turn. It probably helps the second turn player have the ability to actually play, but I fear that is mainly a result of the meta moving more and more towards locking your opponent out of effects and summoning". I'll call this an unfortunate truth. This is just my case, but I regret the way the meta has developed. Nowadays Traps are hardly played, it's all about hand traps and establish omni-negators... they even had to give Traps "activate from hand" effects to make them kinda viable, that's how it is and there's seemingly no turning back. That's what I think Konami wants, given that the most recent Master Rule essentially said "lol, this is not going to get any slower pals, get used to it". So yeah, I'd be proud if I could make a card that can be helpful in this aspect.

Thanks a lot for your comment, Titan :)

Archived