Monstermasher Archetype (16/16) - Old School Fusion Fun

Atypical-Abbie

Monstermasher is an Archetype of monsters with various Types, Attributes and Levels. They focus on effect destruction, Fusion Monsters and battle position manipulation. Each Main Deck monster has an effect that Special Summons another Monstermasher in Defense Position (except Dragon which puts it in Attack Position) when they are destroyed by a card effect. They focus around using Polymerization a lot, having various effects involving it, and being able to search it easily with many of their effects, and they are old school in that you need specific monster names for the Fusion Monsters, but don't worry, because Polymorph is there when you don't have the right materials, as it just needs 2 of any Monstermasher monsters, which is a Fusion Monster that can easily get you the monsters you need. There is no real boss, as they focus on getting many Fusion Monsters on the board for combo plays, though Zombie Dragon is their highest Level monster with 3000 ATK to boot.

Each monster is based on a classic creature from folklore and mythology, meant to be relatively generic in name to make the Fusion Monsters fit better, so I would have picked Necromancer or something instead, but felt like it didn't fit well. Each of their Fusion Monsters take the names from their materials, and their Type is based on the first listed monster, the Attribute based on the second listed monster, and the ATK/DEF and Level being the combined stats of both monsters, with Polymorph working differently due to having the ability to use any materials.

Main Deck Monsters:

Monstermasher Zombie
Zombie/DARK
Level 2
If this card is used as Fusion Material for a "Monstermasher" monster, and sent to the GY: You can target 1 "Monstermasher" monster in your GY, except "Monstermasher Zombie"; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Monstermasher Zombie", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Zombie" once per turn.
500/500

Monstermasher Gremlin
Fiend/EARTH
Level 2
If this card is in your GY: You can target 1 "Monstermasher" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, Special Summon this card in Attack Position. When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Monstermasher Gremlin", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Gremlin" once per turn.
1000/200

Monstermasher Witch
Spellcaster/FIRE
Level 4
When this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Monstermasher" card or "Polymerization" from your Deck to your hand, except "Monstermasher Witch". When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Monstermasher Witch", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Witch" once per turn.
1000/2000

Monstermasher Troll
Beast-Warrior/EARTH
Level 4
If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 "Monstermasher" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Position. When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Monstermasher Troll", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Troll" once per turn.
1800/0

Monstermasher Kraken
Aqua/WATER
Level 6
If this card is in your hand: You can destroy 1 other "Monstermasher" card in your hand, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Monstermasher Kraken", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Kraken" once per turn.
1500/2000

Monstermasher Dragon
Dragon/WIND
Level 8
You can target 1 card on each field; destroy them. When this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in Attack Position, except "Monstermasher Dragon", but it cannot be used as material for a Summon, except the Fusion Summon of a "Monstermasher" Fusion Monster. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Dragon" once per turn.
2500/1500

Extra Deck Monsters:

Monstermasher Polymorph
Psychic/LIGHT/Fusion
Level 1
2 "Monstermasher" monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can add 1 "Monstermasher" card and/or 1 "Polymerization" from your Deck to your hand, but if you add both, you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except "Monstermasher" monsters. This card's ATK/DEF becomes equal to combined Levels of the monsters used to Fusion Summon it x 100. If this card is destroyed: You can target 2 cards among "Polymerization" and "Monstermasher" monsters in your GY, except "Monstermasher Polymorph"; add those targets to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Polymorph" once per turn.
?/?

Monstermasher Gremlin Witch
Fiend/FIRE/Fusion
Level 6
"Monstermasher Gremlin" + "Monstermasher Witch"
Once per turn: You can target 1 other "Monstermasher" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, draw 1 card. Each time a "Monstermasher" monster(s) is destroyed by a card effect, all Fusion Monsters you control gain 200 ATK/DEF for each of those monsters. If this card is in your GY: You can destroy 1 "Monstermasher" monster in your hand, and if you do, Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Monstermasher Gremlin Witch" once per turn.
2000/2200

Monstermasher Zombie Kraken
Zombie/WATER/Fusion
Level 8
"Monstermasher Zombie" + "Monstermasher Kraken"
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, but its effects are negated, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Monstermasher" monsters for the rest of this turn. "Monstermasher" monsters you control can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If they do, apply their DEF for damage calculation. If this card is in your GY: You can banish 2 "Monstermasher" Spells/Traps or 1 "Polymerization" from your GY; Special Summon this card in Attack Position. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Zombie Kraken" once per turn.
2000/2500

Monstermasher Witch Troll
Spellcaster/EARTH/Fusion
Level 8
"Monstermasher Witch" + "Monstermasher Troll"
Once per turn: You can change the battle position of all other monsters on the field. If you control "Monstermasher Lab", this is a Quick Effect. "Monstermasher" cards you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects while your opponent controls a monster in Defense Position. Once per turn, when this card targets an opponent's Defense Position monster for an attack: You can destroy that monster, then you can destroy 1 monster you control or in your hand.
2800/2000

Monstermasher Zombie Dragon
Zombie/WIND/Fusion
Level 10
"Monstermasher Zombie" + "Monstermasher Dragon"
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can target 1 "Monstermasher" Fusion Monster in your GY; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. You can target 1 monster on each field in the same battle position; switch control of those targets. If this card on the field is destroyed: You can destroy all monsters controlled by the player who controlled it when it was destroyed. You can only use each effect of "Monstermasher Zombie Dragon" once per turn.
3000/2000

Spells/Traps:

Monstermasher Lab
Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower "Monstermasher" monster from your Deck to your hand. Neither player can change the battle position of monsters they control, unless they control a Fusion Monster, also if they control 2 Fusion Monsters, they can change the battle position of Special Summoned monsters they control the turn they are Special Summoned. If you have "Polymerization" in your GY, when you Fusion Summon a "Monstermasher" monster, you can send Fusion Material listed on the card you Fusion Summon from your Deck to your GY. You can only activate 1 "Monstermasher Lab" per turn.

Monstermasher Unity
Equip Spell
Equip only to a "Monstermasher" monster. It gains 500 ATK/DEF for each Fusion Monster you control, also it cannot be banished by your opponent's effects. Once per turn, if the equipped monster would be destroyed, you can destroy 1 other "Monstermasher" monster you control instead. If this card is in your GY and you control "Monstermasher Lab": You can banish 2 other "Monstermasher" cards or 1 "Polymerization" from your GY; add this card to your hand.

Monstersmasher
Quick-Play Spell
(This card is always treated as a "Monstermasher" card.)
Target any number of "Monstermasher" monsters you control, then target the same number of cards your opponent control; destroy those targets. During your Main Phase, if this card is in your GY, except the turn it was sent there: You can banish 1 Fusion Monster or "Polymerization" from your GY; add this card to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Monstersmasher" per turn.

Monstermasher Revival
Normal Trap
Target 1 "Monstermasher" Fusion Monster and 1 non-Fusion "Monstermasher" monster in your GY; Special Summon both those targets, but they are destroyed during the End Phase, then you can add 1 "Polymerization" from your GY to your hand. If you control no monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Monstermasher Revival" per turn.

Monstermasher Zone
Continuous Trap
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Polymerization" from your Deck, GY or among your banished cards to your hand. Fusion Summons using "Polymerization" cannot be negated, also your opponent cannot activate cards or effects when a Fusion Monster is Special Summoned. Fusion Monsters you control that were Fusion Summoned using "Polymerization" cannot be destroyed by card effects. If you control "Monstermasher Lab" you can activate this card from your hand.

Classic, straightforward, a focus on destruction and named fusion mats, with a tiny bit of wiggle room for mixing in some stuff that is probably more Normal Summon-reliant.

I think the only thing that could make these better was if their stats/effects lined up a little better with some irl focuses.  i.e. if the Zombie had the special summon from GY effect, or if Witch had 200 DEF, etc.

I thought I saw some crazy combos, but these do tend to lock you into the archetype so it isn't really possible.  Do you think you'll expand on these?

1 hour ago, Mr Melon said:

Classic, straightforward, a focus on destruction and named fusion mats, with a tiny bit of wiggle room for mixing in some stuff that is probably more Normal Summon-reliant.

I think the only thing that could make these better was if their stats/effects lined up a little better with some irl focuses.  i.e. if the Zombie had the special summon from GY effect, or if Witch had 200 DEF, etc.

I thought I saw some crazy combos, but these do tend to lock you into the archetype so it isn't really possible.  Do you think you'll expand on these?

Why would I make the Witch 200? There aren't other FIRE monsters so not sure I see the point, Zombie I was considering switching around, maybe. Dunno if I will expand, I tend not to, but you never know if inspiration strikes again.

13 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

Why would I make the Witch 200? There aren't other FIRE monsters so not sure I see the point, Zombie I was considering switching around, maybe.

I was more thinking about how I would build the archetype as a deck.  Since it is so self-contained, any boost - no matter how small - from a card's generic attributes can help go a long way.  For example, I like the fact that Troll is able to Special Summon itself from the hand because Tenki is still at 3, and that Dragon is Dragon/WIND since Tempest is legal.

Ultimately, it's not the biggest deal though.

20 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

Dunno if I will expand, I tend not to, but you never know if inspiration strikes again.

Ah, I get that.

Archived