So what are Wyrms exactly?

I noticed that Wyrms are essentially Dragons in terms of structure. But my question is: Why did Konami feel the need to separate Wyrms from the rest of the Dragons? Was it so they wouldn't have all that generic Dragon support? Just something that bugs me since I know a Wyrm is essentially a type of Dragon and yet Konami felt it wasn't deserving of the Dragon type or support. So this begs the question: What are Wyrms exactly, if not Dragons, in YGO?

The Wyrm type is twofold imo. The basic level is avoiding giving Dragons more support. This is apparent with stuff like True Kings who are clearly Dragons.

But I think there's a secondary aspect for Wyrms: if you think about it, Psychics are like Spellcasters, but Mentally/Psychologically focused and Cyberse are like Machines but software instead of hardware.

In those cases, the new type is filling in a niche that was awkward to fill with types we had before. Wyrms are similar: They fill the spiritual role. No other type really takes this role even if they have spiritual references (Angels/Demons = Fairy/Fiend).

Yang Zing have a death/reincarnation theme. Metaphys are spiritual forms of old Dragons that have "ascended" into a new plane of being (see "Dracocension"). Tenyi is about a monk guided and powered by spiritual beings. Even the lore around True King/True Draco is supposedly biblically inspired (as per the True Draco Trivia page).

1 hour ago, Horu said:

I noticed that Wyrms are essentially Dragons in terms of structure. But my question is: Why did Konami feel the need to separate Wyrms from the rest of the Dragons? Was it so they wouldn't have all that generic Dragon support? Just something that bugs me since I know a Wyrm is essentially a type of Dragon and yet Konami felt it wasn't deserving of the Dragon type or support. So this begs the question: What are Wyrms exactly, if not Dragons, in YGO?

I would say yeah, probably that. It's important to note how devastating Dragons around the time Wyrms were introduced, at least before it with Dragon Rulers and what not, so it makes a lot of sense for them to want to not have Dragons still dominate, while introducing a new type that can do something different and new, and at least in the beginning, Wyrms were quite strange, I mean they still are. They also seem to want them to be not just Dragons, but different in that they can be stranger in terms of their dragonness, for lack of a better word. They aren't normal Dragons, they are Wyrms! While yeah there are stupid Dragons, they seem to want Dragons to be just Dragons, and Wyrms to be weird. It also isn't the first time that there are similar types, could probably make some types into one type, Aqua and Fish could be one for example.

Pretty much as said before, Wyrms in pop-culture usually used as special clasification for dragons that either:

-Having bizzare anatomy than typical reptilian western dragon (well yugioh already dabble with this since 5ds to be fair)

-really old sentient dragon that achieve knowledge/spiritual enlightment that may or may not influenced its own physical being

-or just serpentine dragon in general including asian style dragon (Long/Lung/Ryu/Naga) which incorporate previous point of being uber-sentient. Some even straight up god or spiritually important aspect of the world

the words derrive from wurm if im not mistaken a germanic(?) word for either serpentine dragon or dragon-like insect usually worm. But it still fit the function to discribe "unusual dragon"

Those unique interpertation, supported by konami giving a lot of bizzare mechanic as oppose to usual goodstuff dragons is exactly why Wyrms is one of my fav typing

The thing is if we look at the types, they make sense to what they are.

Aqua: Aquatic creatures that aren't fish.

Beast: Animals

Beast-Warrior: Animal-humanoid hybrids

Cyberse: Software, AI based creatures.

Dinosaur: Dinosaurs or prehistoric creatures

Divine-Beasts: Gods

Dragons: Obviously the various types of dragons.

Fairy: Angels, fairies and elves

Fiend: demons or creatures of creatures of darkness

Fish: The many types of fish, fish-like creatures or fish-humanoid hybrid creatures.

Insect: This is generally bugs of any kind.

Machine: Generally any machine in existence.

Plant: Plants or plant based creatures.

Psychic: Obviously creatures with psychic abilities.

Pyro: Fire based creatures

Reptile: Reptiles or reptilian creatures

Rock: Rocks or rock based creatures

Sea Serpent: Generally sea serpents or water bound dragons.

Spellcasters: This covers magicians, witches, sorcerers, alchemists, wizards, warlocks and even basic magic users.

Thunder: Generally anything that uses electricity or is electricity.

Warrior: This covers just about every creature in the game that has a sword.

Winged Beast: Just about anything that can fly.

Wyrm: I suppose these are dragons or dragon like creatures but more earthy I guess?

Zombie: This covers anything you'd normally class as undead, living dead or a ghost.

4 minutes ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

Pretty much as said before, Wyrms in pop-culture usually used as special clasification for dragons that either:

-Having bizzare anatomy than typical reptilian western dragon (well yugioh already dabble with this since 5ds to be fair)

-really old sentient dragon that achieve knowledge/spiritual enlightment that may or may not influenced its own physical being

-or just serpentine dragon in general including asian style dragon (Long/Lung/Ryu/Naga) which incorporate previous point of being uber-sentient. Some even straight up god or spiritually important aspect of the world

the words derrive from wurm if im not mistaken a germanic(?) word for either serpentine dragon or dragon-like insect usually worm. But it still fit the function to discribe "unusual dragon"

Those unique interpertation, supported by konami giving a lot of bizzare mechanic as oppose to usual goodstuff dragons is exactly why Wyrms is one of my fav typing

The word "Wyrm" may be a reference to the Norse history that was touched on in 5Ds actually. After all, the exact origin of "Wyrm" itself is Nordic.

Norse-Viking culture pretty much permeate northen europe including pre-roman german so wurm/wrym has norse origin is plausibe

safe to say there no further discussion since usage of wyrm as "weird/spiritual/god-like" dragon in pop-culture predates yugioh i believe so its not really much of leap of logic

MTG typing system is even weirder if anything

In all fairness, MTG is just as inconsistant with typing. They have all the types of creatures separated and yet still manage to class a pixie as an angel. So it wouldn't surprise me if MTG managed to class a wyrm as wyvern or a hydra for some ungodly reason.

Archived