Specifically referring to the Skull Archfiend series, trying to make it viable whilst also additionally filling out its ranks (Summoned Skull of other abilities/types).

Archfiend's Origin

(Art source: manga)

KT4AVxE.png&circulation=&set1=&set2=&typ

(Fiend/Gemini/Effect*/DARK/Level 4/ATK 1250/DEF 600)

Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with these effects:

● Double the original Level, ATK, and DEF of this card.
● This card's name becomes "Summoned Skull" on the field, but is still treated as an "Archfiend" card.
● This card is treated as a Tuner monster. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of "Archfiend's Call". When this card is used as Synchro Material, you can treat it and all other Synchro Materials (that have a Level) as Level 3 monsters. When using this card as a Synchro Material, the other Synchro Material can be 1 DARK monster in your hand.
● If this card treated as an Effect Monster you control is sent to your GY by an opponent's card: You can Special Summon 1 "Summoned Skull" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Trivia:

• This card's name refers to its artwork, which was the first artwork used for "Summoned Skull" in the manga, before it was changed the first time it was summoned.

Origin is the Tuner and Gemini representative simultaneously.

*The current Card Maker cannot display Gemini/Effect simultaneously (or the ●), but that is the correct designation.

Archfiend's Phantasm

(Art source: https://www.deviantart.com/ray-v-xyz/art/Umbral-Horror-Archfiend-Artwork-820463950)

Set.%20Must%20be%20Special%20Summoned%20

(Fiend/Spirit/Effect**/DARK/Level 6/ATK 2500/DEF 1200)

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by revealing 1 "Summoned Skull"  or 1 card that specifically lists the card "Summoned Skull" in its text in your hand or by controlling "Summoned Skull". This card's name becomes "Summoned Skull" on the field, but is still treated as an "Archfiend" card. When a "Summoned Skull" you control destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the GY: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to either the ATK or DEF (whichever is higher) of the destroyed monster in the GY. If this Special Summoned card you control is sent to your GY by an opponent's card: You can Special Summon 1 "Summoned Skull" from your hand, Deck, or GY. Once per turn, during the End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned this turn: Return it to the hand.

Simultaneously the Spirit and Special Summon Monster.

**The current Card Maker cannot display Spirit/Effect simultaneously, but that is the correct designation.

Archfiend's Warlock

(Art source: https://www.deviantart.com/fedodika/art/Summoned-Skull-472225798

image.png.2c205f39b113e9584ecf4ba2a9f092cf.png

(Fiend/Flip***/Effect/DARK/Level 6/ATK 2500/DEF 1200)

Effect: FLIP: Add 1 "Archfiend" card or a card that specifically lists the card "Summoned Skull" in its text from your Deck to your hand. Then, if it is a monster, except a Ritual Monster, you can Special Summon it, ignoring the Summoning conditions, or if it is a Spell/Trap card, you can, immediately after this effect resolves, activate it. If you control "Summoned Skull", you can Set this card without Tributing. This card's name becomes "Summoned Skull" on the field, but is still treated as an "Archfiend" card. If this card you control that has been flipped face-up is sent to your GY by an opponent's card: You can Special Summon 1 "Summoned Skull" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

The Flip representative.

***The current Card Maker cannot display the Flip ability tag, but that is the correct designation.

Improper Archfiend Rite

(Art source: https://www.deviantart.com/andytantowibelzark/art/Summoned-Skull-622341502)

DEF%201200).%20Its%20name%20on%20the%20f

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: Reveal 1 "Summoned Skull" or 1 card that specifically lists the card "Summoned Skull" in its text in your hand; Special Summon 1 "Archfiend's Catastrophe Token" (Fiend/DARK/Level 6/ATK 2500/DEF 1200). Its name on the field is treated as "Summoned Skull", but it is still treated as an "Archfiend" card. It cannot attack or be used as Link Material. Cannot be Tributed or used as Fusion or Synchro Material, except for the summoning of "Summoned Skull" or a monster that specifically lists "Summoned Skull" in its text.

The Token representative.

Trivia:

• The Catastrophe in the Token's name means "something that has failed", referring to the failed ritual.

Archfiend's Incarnation

(Art source: Rush Duel)

DEF%200).%20(This%20card%20is%20also%20s

Continuous Trap Card

Effect: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend/Effect/DARK/Level 6/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way, this card's name as a monster on the field becomes "Summoned Skull", but it is still treated as an "Archfiend" card. If you control  another "Summoned Skull", this card's original ATK and DEF becomes 2500 and 1200, respectively. If a "Summoned Skull" you control declares an attack: you can Special Summon 1 "Summoned Skull" or 1 monster that specifically lists the card "Summon Skull" in its text from your GY, ignoring the Summoning conditions. If this Special Summoned card you control is sent to your GY by an opponent's card: You can Special Summon 1 "Summoned Skull" from your hand, Deck, or GY. If you control "Summoned Skull", you can activate this card from your hand.

Trap Monster representative.

Summoning of the Skull

(Art source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/568465533/12x16-original-oil-painting-smoke-smoky?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lp.d2.v1&share_time=1511369452000)

b3tycX8.jpg&circulation=&set1=&set2=&typ

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: (This card is always treated as an "Archfiend" card.) Reveal 1 "Archfiend" monster in your hand; Special Summon 1 DARK Fiend "Archfiend" monster with a Level from your hand, Deck, or GY. A Gemini monster Special Summoned by this effect becomes an Effect Monster, and gains its effect.

A much needed consistency booster that also works with the rest of the Archfiend archetype, such as Giant or Archfiend of Lightning. One can additonally opt for one-offs including Lesser Fiend when it is needed for versatility.

Archfiend's Illusion

(Art source: https://www.deviantart.com/dragonfire53511/art/Yu-gi-oh-Monster-Summon-Skull-737747362)

or%20banishing%20from%20your%20GY,%20DAR

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: Activate 1 of the following effects.
Fusion Summon 1 Fiend "Archfiend" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If you use a "Summoned Skull" you control as Fusion Material, you can also use monsters from your Deck as material.
Ritual Summon 1 "Archfiend" Ritual Monster from your hand, by Tributing from your hand or field and/or banishing from your GY, DARK monsters, whose total Levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster. If the total level of the monsters used to Ritual Summon this way are exactly equal to the Level of the Ritual Monster: Draw 1 card.

The first effect shall likely invariably send Heiress, giving a free search.

Trivia:

• This card's name is based on the card text of "Summoned Skull", referencing the "dark powers for confusing the enemy".

(If any have sufficient artwork for a  Union Daemon, do let me know).

Wow I think this would give Summoned Skull more retrains then the railroad archetype has trains. 

So let me give my thoughts.

Archfiend's Origin: I like the reference, the floating effect, and the stat/level double but find the limit to a single synchro monster to be a bit much. Gemini summoning already has hoops to jump through; maybe just limit it to DARK and/or Fiend Synchro monsters to balance the fact you can alter the card's level and use materials from the hand. Plus we technically have a Summoned Skull Gemini card in the form of Skull Archfiend of Lightning; although it was more made as Red-Eyes support.

Archfiend's Phantasm: So Spirit monsters CANNOT be special summoned in any way; every single one has that restriction. The double piercing battle damage also seems a bit much in my opinion. If I were to make changes, I'd have the card allow you to special summon a Summoned Skull from your hand, Deck, or GY on it returning to the hand and either give Summoned Skulls normal piercing or a "Flame Wingman" like effect where opponents take effect damage equal to the destroyed monster. 

Improper Archfiend Rite: Awesome looking artwork first off. The effect seems counterintuitive. I get that it's meant to give you a token to substitute the normal summoned skull for extra deck plays. But:

- In the fusion situation: you'd also need a fusion spell to get the most out of this and if you use the original summoned skull as fusion material, you'll get it back when Archfiend's Manifestation is destroyed where if you use the token, it's just gone.

-In the synchro situation you just can't summon Archfiend's Call unless you lower the token's level with another card.

-You also can't summon Archfiend's Awakening as you can't tribute the card for ritual materials.

So ultimately you're left with a token that can't really do anything.

Edit: Disregard this message (delete it if you want to) I'm re-gathering my thoughts about these cards.

Summoned Skull has a retrain for every card type save for Pendulum and Link monsters.

He even has an evolution known as Archfiend Commander.

The list of Summoned Skull retrains are as follows:

Skull Archfiend of Lightning - Effect

Archfiend's Manifestation - Fusion

Red-Eyes Archfiend of Lightning - Gemini

Archfiend's Awakening - Ritual

Archfiend's Call - Synchro

Toon Summoned Skull - Toon

Archfiend's Ascent - Xyz

Archfiend Zombie-Skull - Zombie

Also, Summoned Skull should be more iconic as a card than Dark Magician as he was Yugi's original ace before receiving his grandpa's deck.

Archfiend of Lightning is not a Skull Archfiend Monster, since it does not treat its name as Summoned Skull. I am specifically supporting that series (which is also the reason Origin is locked into Call).

It is possible to tribute a token for a Ritual Summon, since it does not specifically mention the GY. Likewise, Origin automatically modulates its level if used after being Normal Summoned again, meaning it can be used with the token.

Multiple Spirit Monsters can be special summoned, including Yamato-no-Kami and Konohana Sakuya.

Ok redoing my thoughts here:

First looking at this it makes me realize how much it sucks that all of the Summoned Skull support doesn't treat their name as Summoned Skull while in the GY. A field or continuous spell with that as one of its effects might be a good edition (while also preventing those monsters from summoning themselves when they die).  

Archfiend's Origin: Still like the reference to the season 0 manga, the floating, and double attack & level is still good. I still think you're being a little too harsh on yourself about locking you into a single synchro monster. Lots of people can tell you that even when they use their archetype and when they go into extra-deck plays they often summon generic extra deck monsters with better stats or effects but the same level/rank. A lock into DARK and/or Fiend Synchro monsters is a harsh enough restriction on its own.

Archfiend's Phantasm: So as I've been told, yes some Spirit monsters can be special summon, so I apologize for that mistake. As it stands now it's fine, although I still think the double piercing battle damage for all your boss monsters is a bit much on a main deck monster. My suggestion from before still stands, either normal piercing damage, or a "Flame Wingman" like effect where the opponent takes effect damage equal to the monster's ATK.

Improper Archfiend Rite: So I originally took this card out of context of the other cards in this set and that made it seem worse then it actually was. Yeah with the other cards, especially if you have Archfiend's Illusion you basically get free material for a fusion or ritual summon. Still kinda iffy about the Synchro lock; cause you'd need a specific, Gemini tuner, to reasonably use it without level manipulating cards, while also being locked into a single synchro monster. Also final thoughts, why name the token Archfiend's Catastrophe if you're just gonna rename it to Summoned Skull and treat it as an archfiend anyway. You could just call it a "Summoned Skull" token that is treated as an Archfiend (seriously thank you TCG for wasting gallons of ink with that reminder text cause you couldn't call one monster an archfiend, but call other monster Fiends)

Archfiend's Incarnation: Nifty little trap monster that is balanced around needing another Summoned Skull for getting a free 2500 beater. The double attack, like with Archfiend's Phantasm's effect, seems a bit overpowered to give to all your boss monsters. Which I assume, if you're playing the deck in an ideal way means you're going to have at least 2, often 3 on the field at the same time; with overlapping protections or battle bonuses. My suggestion would either make it a "can attack your opponent's monsters twice" like Blue-Eyes Twin Burst Dragon, or have yourself target a single Summoned Skull to allow it to attack twice that battle phase.

Summoning of the Skull: This is great honestly, pure advantage with a reasonable cost on a quick play. Not forcing you to use it on Summoned Skull is great as I think even in a pure Summoned Skull deck like you're trying to build, you'd want to run other Archfiends. 

Archfiend's Illusion: Again another solid card. I'm honestly going back and forth on whether or not it should be a normal spell or quick play; but I think it's fine as it is. Tiny bit of advice. You can make dots on Yu-gi-oh card maker for cards with multiple choices like with Archfiend's Illusion. Just use these shortcuts (if you use windows, if you use Mac you can google this):

Alt + 0183 ·

Alt + 0149 •

Finals thoughts: Overall I like what I'm seeing so far with only a few minor concerns about balance on the extreme ends; either too restrictive or too overpowered. I encourage you to refine the work you've done already and continue building this archetype support.

Also you asked for potential artwork for cards here's one that could work as a FLIP monster:

Summoned Skull Flip.png

Many thanks for the feedback, "dots", and artwork. The latter has been used for a new monster whilst "Phantasm" and "Incarnation" have been given new, arguably more thematically apt, effects.

The "Catastrophe" token is worded the way it is merely for the sake of consistency with the rest of the series; that spell is already enough of an outlier as it is without the proper floating effect.

Archived