Wing-Wider (Archetype)

vYcrM9F.jpg

Level 3/WIND/Winged Beast/Effect
You can only use the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd effects of this card’s name once per turn each.
(1) If you control no monsters, or all monsters you control are WIND monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
(2) If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add add 1 card that specifically lists WIND or Winged Beast monster in its text, from your Deck to your hand, except "Wing-Wider Chiru, the Knight-Crow".
(3) If this would be sent to the GY: You can add it to your hand instead.
800/500

Mmm... yeah, it's not bad. I've always wondered why you suddenly started using the japanese format for the effect's text. Not saying it's bad, I'm just intrigued by the reason. It's funny, because all the effects are HOPT, so I'd normally use "You can only use each effect of "Wing-Wider Chiru, the Knight Crow" once per turn.

My only complain would be effect 3, it's quite strong. Do you know Sinister Serpent? Here's the old effect:

During your Standby Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can add it to your hand, also banish 1 "Sinister Serpent" from your Graveyard during your opponent's next End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Sinister Serpent" once per turn.

👆for this effect, it was banned for a looong time, then they gave it errata, now it's horrible and nobody uses it. Your effect is stronger. The moment it is sent to the GY, it returns to your hand. Mmm... perhaps an additional clause, like: ......"You can add it to your hand instead, and if you do, you cannot Summon this monster for the rest of this turn"

Okay. First off, you can't call this an archetype if there's a grand total of one card to show for it. Even before Sky Striker got a second Main Deck monster, they had Link, Spell, and Trap Cards that shared the same name.

Secondly: Couldn't you have come up with a new way of Summoning this card? This thing self-Summons exactly the same as the members from one of your previous sets.

Third, the balance for this card is horrible. Sure, there's a "once per turn" clause, but this card benefits you too much with you giving absolutely nothing in return. In one banlist, this card would be permabanned unless an errata were in order.

Now, if you want to improve this card, I have a few suggestions. A strict "once per turn" clause would be a great start. Making you choose between the return, self-Summon, or search effect. Replace the last sentence with "You can only use 1 "Wing-Wider Chiru, the Knight-Krow" effect per turn, and only once that turn. Secondly, add a cost to its return effect. As mentioned before, Sinister Serpent was banned for a good reason. A high LP cost (half or 5000) could work. Or just outright omitting the return effect altogether.

Archived