A few changes I propose

@YCMaker

There's a few concerns I have with the state of the site as it is. And I would like to propose a few changes, and see if you would be able to implement any. First on the agenda:

The Spoilers.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that the spoilers on this forum are bad. First off, we can't name them like the ones that came before it. Now, this is a nitpick that can be glanced over. What can't be glanced over is how else the spoilers falter compared to their predecessor. The spoilers eat one another. Anything below the top spoiler will be eaten by the top spoiler. I did manage to have two on screen without the other being eaten. But it was by total accident. I've no idea how one can have more than one visible.

Next:
Altering Registration

I don't know if this is still possible to do. It was changed a few years ago to include some physics questions, but that was undone on account of not everyone knowing physics, or adding the extra step of using something like Wolfram Alpha just to solve the registration questions. Now, I'm not asking for math questions to be added to registration. What I'm suggesting is a couple of trivia questions relating to the franchise to be posed at the person registering. Stuff like, "What color is Yusei's Duel Runner?" and, "How much ATK does "Kuriboh" have?" just to give a few examples. Stuff that fans of the franchise would know, and stuff non-fans could easily look up! The reason I propose this is to lessen the number of spambots on the forum.

Now, if anyone agrees, disagrees, or has a totally different suggestion to the platform, feel free to comment below.

• Administrators

Agreed on the spoilers - the upgrade to IP.Board v4 is what broke them originally. For some reason, Invision changed the way spoilers work, for the worse. There may be a plugin available now to restore the previous functionality, but as IP.Board v4.6 is about to be released, I'm going to wait until then to integrate such a plugin.

As far as registration, we have a few "invisible" anti-spam measures in place currently. If spambots are bypassing these measures, there may be more that can be done but I would be hesitant to setup any sort of Q/A system, which is just kind of annoying to real users and easily bypassed by bots. It does seem that Invision is developing some more advanced anti-spam features in v4.6: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/3-improvements-to-spam-management-in-46-r1228

7 hours ago, YCMaker said:

Agreed on the spoilers - the upgrade to IP.Board v4 is what broke them originally. For some reason, Invision changed the way spoilers work, for the worse. There may be a plugin available now to restore the previous functionality, but as IP.Board v4.6 is about to be released, I'm going to wait until then to integrate such a plugin.

That's good to hear!

As far as registration, we have a few "invisible" anti-spam measures in place currently. If spambots are bypassing these measures, there may be more that can be done but I would be hesitant to setup any sort of Q/A system, which is just kind of annoying to real users and easily bypassed by bots.

I understand.

It does seem that Invision is developing some more advanced anti-spam features in v4.6: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/3-improvements-to-spam-management-in-46-r1228

I would very much like that. Not that I'm bothered by flagging or banning spambots. The ones advertising a game, okay. But I say this because the site's had some nasty bots. Ones that are claiming to sell credit card info or drugs. And even a tenacious bot or two that keeps resurfacing.

Overall:

Please do implement these plugins if and when possible. The community would very much appreciate it.

Archived