Novice Magician

Rayfield Lumina

183750828_NoviceMagicianL(1).thumb.png.6696412932c02e8145292c54901ac4d7.png

Novice Magician

DARK           Level 1

Spellcaster / Pendulum / Tuner / Effect

PE: Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster you control with a Level; its Level becomes any number between this card's scale and the scale of the other card in your Pendulum Zone.

ME: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). While your LP is equal or lower than your opponent's, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects. This card can attack directly. If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can reveal your opponent's hand, then Special Summon 1 monster to your opponent's field in it ignoring its Summoning conditions, and if you do, negate its effects, also it cannot be Tributed or used as material for a Summon, then you can have this card become any Level between that monster's Level and this card, but if you do, banish this card when it leaves the field. During your End Phase, you can return this face-up card you control to your hand.

ATK 100 / DEF 100

And here it is... my first custom Pendulum Card ever. This little magician is (or at least that was the intention) pretty versatile and dangerous. The main treat comes from the monster effect, but I believe the Pendulum effect, while not spectacular, will be able to help greatly with Synchro and Xyz Summoning. I believe Pendulum Magicians tend to have low scales, but there's stuff like Performapal Celestial Magician with 8 among others. Then we have the super annoying Monster Effect. Originally you could also SS this card if your opponent controlled more monsters, but it was too much text, so I cut that part xD. Still, this card Special Summons itself with relative easy, and with almost the same ease, it can become impervious to your opponent's attempts to harm it, for a secure direct attack, which could be aid by equipments or other support, but more importantly, gives you intel on the opponent's card and Special Summons 1 of the mobs in the hand, to the opponent's zone you want, screwing their effects or material potential and blocking a zone of your liking. Then this girl can either change Level and use herself as material (she's a Tuner) and banish, OR be used as Xyz Material and save herself, OR return to the hand like a coward xD.

Comments and critique welcome n.n

P.D. I think the girl comes from a video game called Little Witch Nobeta xP. I just found the image randomly and said: This can work.

17 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

This a really inspiring card Lumina. It really is versatile and really fun! I made a twin card to this one, a side character to this monster's protagonist story!

I already said this in your thread, but it's worth saying it again: thanks for making a card as inspiration from this one. I find it surprising as this is (as mentioned earlier) my first "formal" Pendulum Custom Card. I've made a couple before, but for the workshop section where they can be made kinda half-assed lol. I decided to place this card in Casual as I find the effects pretty stronk and I'm unsure if this card could be considered as 100% balanced, but hell, fun, it is xD. It's also a bit confusing to me that you say it was inspiring yet I the card didn't get a reaction, perhaps it requires something else to get the final approval?

1 hour ago, Horu said:

Given that you need to run Links and Pendulums together now (as of M4R), in order to even get more than one Pendulum Summon, I'd say the effect is pretty fair.

Yeah, her own Special Summon makes her a good monster to use for Link material regardless of the rest of the effect. In case you're having trouble to Link/Pendulum summon, you go for Synchros/Xyz using her other effects.

I am very glad that this card's hand-sniping effect is tied to battle damage. I double checked the card to make sure no loops could ensue xD
What can I say? the card is great. Pendulum Magicians support this card 100% Pendulum Call being able to search it out, and this card being immune to any handtrap disruption if you so much as open the game with an Upstart Goblin or something that costs LP to use.
Magicians have relative ease for Scale 8s so this card enables a ton of things up to Rank 7 or mostly any Synchro Levels you can ask for.
Plus it being an extender (another card that'd be even more the better if Electrumite wasn't banned.... Electrumite should totally be back at 1 tbh..... )

I also find it interesting that you can still make use of the card she snipes/steals by destroying it (Dragonic Diagram, Sky Iris, Scrap Dragon, etc.) which I think is fair enough.

There's a ton of things going in favor of this card. I'd love to see it IRL.

6 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

@SleepyYou don't have to open upstart or pay lp because it includes =life

*reads card***
Oh... you are right. So long as it is the opening turn's play, she's gonna be able to go uninterrupted herself. 
I'll use this chance to say my thoughts on the card are still the same with that new info in mind xD

16 hours ago, Sleepy said:

I am very glad that this card's hand-sniping effect is tied to battle damage. I double checked the card to make sure no loops could ensue xD
What can I say? the card is great. Pendulum Magicians support this card 100% Pendulum Call being able to search it out, and this card being immune to any handtrap disruption if you so much as open the game with an Upstart Goblin or something that costs LP to use.
Magicians have relative ease for Scale 8s so this card enables a ton of things up to Rank 7 or mostly any Synchro Levels you can ask for.
Plus it being an extender (another card that'd be even more the better if Electrumite wasn't banned.... Electrumite should totally be back at 1 tbh..... )

I also find it interesting that you can still make use of the card she snipes/steals by destroying it (Dragonic Diagram, Sky Iris, Scrap Dragon, etc.) which I think is fair enough.

There's a ton of things going in favor of this card. I'd love to see it IRL.

You might think I'm exaggerating, but I read this yesterday at night before going to rest and thanks to the review I was able to sleep in good mood xD. I'm really happy that my first pendulum ended up being a good creation, and if it has Sleepy's Quality Seal of Approval, then nothing can stop me! 

***Googles Electrumite***

Mmm... looks quite potent... one effect leads to the other and puts some pretty dangerous Magicians in play fairly easily. But I dunno, Astrograph is also forbidden, so I guess there's space for Electrumite to be back? I'm not good at this kind of things, the meta-combos surpass me xD.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, Horu said:

Or she could be used as fusion/ritual material for anything that requires generic materials.

Yeah, she's quite the little all purpose brat xD. Adjusts others and her own Level for Synchros/Xyz, or she could Special Summon a high leveled mon to become high level herself for Rituals. I don't think Ritual-based decks can be centred around Pendulums, but she doesn't necessarily got to be in one, she'll just get more support if she's in there, but can be used generically.

13 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

@SleepyYou don't have to open upstart or pay lp because it includes =life

Dat' Itsu is always very attentive to minor details, points for him!

~~~~~~~

Thanks to all of you for taking your time in posting n.n

Archived