Let's Go Steal a Duel - New Archetype [Written - Complete 13/13]

MickeyDee

These guys are partially inspired by the fact that Leverage Redemption is coming out this week and partially a spiritual revival of the Dark Scorpions. They have an alternate revenue source - I mean win condition so its important that the number of cards stolen by the Boss monster is balanced. Spell/Trap support coming later.

Phantastic Thief Hitter - Dark Warrior **** 1800/1500

Your opponent can’t attack “Phantasm Thief” monsters or target them with effects except “Phantastic Thief Hitter”. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: activate one of the following effects:

·       Increase your life points by the amount of damage your opponent took.

·       Return 1 monster your opponent controls to their hand.

Phantastic Thief Hacker - Dark Cyberse **** 1500/1800

If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: activate one of the following effects:

·       Target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; place it in a vacant Spell/Trap zone on your side of the field.

·       Target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy that target.

Phantastic Thief Burglar - Dark Beast-Warrior **** 1000/1000

This card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: activate one of the following effects:

·       Select one card in your opponent’s hand: add it to your hand.

·       Change the battle position of one monster on your opponent’s side of the field. Its effect is negated until your next End Phase.

Phantastic Thief Grifter - Dark Spellcaster **** 1600/1400

When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: activate one of the following effects:

·       Take control of 1 monster your opponent controls. It cannot attack this turn.

·       Add 1 “Phantastic Thief” card from your deck to your hand.

Phantastic Thief Scrounger - Dark Psychic **** 1400/1600

When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: activate one of the following effects:

·       Add 1 Spell/Trap card from your opponent’s GY to your hand.

·       Add 1 “Phantastic Thief” card from your GY to your hand.

Phantastic Thief Inside Man - Dark Fairy * 100/0

You can Special Summon this card from your hand to your opponent’s side of the field. This card cannot be used as material in the summoning of a monster from the Extra Deck. This card cannot be destroyed in battle with a “Phantastic Thief” monster. Inflict piercing damage in any battle involving this card.

Extra Deck

Legendary Phantastic Thief Mastermind – Dark Fiend XYZ 2300/2000 Rank 4

2+ Phantastic Thief monsters

When this monster is summoned: add all cards on your side of the field that originally belonged to your opponent to this card as XYZ materials. Once per turn, you can remove two XYZ materials from this card: add 1 face up card on your opponent’s side of the field to this card as a XYZ material. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: add the top card of their deck to this card as a XYZ material. This card cannot be used in the summoning of an XYZ monster. When this card has 11 or more XYZ materials that originally belonged to your opponent: you win the duel.

Support

Phantastic Hideout – Field Spell

Increase the ATK of all “Phantastic Thief” monsters by 200 for each card (or XYZ material) you control that originally belonged to your opponent. You can add 1 card you control to one “Legendary Phantastic Thief Mastermind” you control as an XYZ material. You can only activate this effect once per turn.

Phantastic Getaway – Counter Trap

When your opponent activates a card effect that would remove 1 “Phantastic Thief” monster from the field: send 1 card (or XYZ material) you control that originally belonged to your opponent to the GY; negate that effect and if you do; destroy it.

Phantastic Calling Card – Spell

All “Phantasm Thief” monsters you control can attack directly this turn. Your opponent cannot activate any card effects in response to attacks this turn. All damage your opponent receives this turn is reduced to 400 points of damage.

Phantastic Break In – Continuous Spell

Once per turn, while you control a "Phantastic Thief" monster: excavate the top 5 cards from your deck; special summon one excavated “Phantastic Thief” monster and place the rest on the bottom of the deck in any order.

Phantastic Fence – Spell

Send any even number of cards (or XYZ material) you control that originally belonged to your opponent to the GY: draw 1 card for every 2 cards sent to the GY by this effect.

Phantastic Big Score- Spell

Detach 1 material from "Legendary Phantastic Thief Mastermind": roll 1 die and attach material from the appropriate places based on the number of the die:

1. 2 cards from the top of your opponent's deck.

2. 2 cards from the top of your opponent's GY.

3. 1 monster card and 1 Spell/Trap card from your opponent's side of the field.

4. 1 card from each player's hand.

5. 1 card from your side of the field.

6. roll 2 dice and activate the appropriate effect above for each die. If you roll a 6; reroll.

You can't conduct your battle phase or detach materials from "Legendary Phantastic Thief Mastermind" to activate other effects the turn you activate this card.

Love it love it love it. All work to a niche and support the win con: hitter protects and inside makes attacking way easier. You could leave this as is and it would be great but I would rather raise the bar of the win con and give the archetype more flavorful cards. I am worried about cards that can rank up on this monstrosity of XYZ materials.

Some ideas:

Phantom Thief Risky Maneuver

Continuous spell

You can detach one material from a "Phantom thief" monster you control and discard one card; roll a 6 sided die and attach a material from the appropriate location:

1: Opponent's GY and top of opponent's deck.

2: 2 random cards from opponent's extra deck.

3: 1 spell/trap and 1 monster your opponent controls.

4: 1 random card from each player's hand

5: 1 card you control

6: all of the above

You can only use this effect of "Phantom Thief Risky Maneuver" once per turn.

Phantom Thief Advantage

Continuous spell

All Phantom Thief monsters gain 200 ATK for every card you control you opponent originally owned and every material originally owned by your opponent attached to a monster you control. If this card would be destroyed you can destroy one Phantom Thief card you control instead.

Phantom Thief Last Hope

Spell

If you control no cards and have less than 3 cards in your hand draw 3 cards and special summon all drawn Phantom Thief monsters.

(instant win if all 7 are on field field spell with once per turn draw when you deal battle damage in battle with phantom knight) [ Ethereal Empire]

and 

(counter trap to omni negate by discard or detach material). [Counter Hack]

I would probably raise the threshold of the win con (especially with the support as I see you were already planning on adding spell traps) and cannot be used as material clause

13 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Love it love it love it. All work to a niche and support the win con: hitter protects and inside makes attacking way easier. You could leave this as is and it would be great but I would rather raise the bar of the win con and give the archetype more flavorful cards. I am worried about cards that can rank up on this monstrosity of XYZ materials.

Some ideas:

Phantom Thief Risky Maneuver

Continuous spell

You can detach one material from a "Phantom thief" monster you control and discard one card; roll a 6 sided die and attach a material from the appropriate location:

1: Opponent's GY and top of opponent's deck.

2: 2 random cards from opponent's extra deck.

3: 1 spell/trap and 1 monster your opponent controls.

4: 1 random card from each player's hand

5: 1 card you control

6: all of the above

You can only use this effect of "Phantom Thief Risky Maneuver" once per turn.

Phantom Thief Advantage

Continuous spell

All Phantom Thief monsters gain 200 ATK for every card you control you opponent originally owned and every material originally owned by your opponent attached to a monster you control. If this card would be destroyed you can destroy one Phantom Thief card you control instead.

Phantom Thief Last Hope

Spell

If you control no cards and have less than 3 cards in your hand draw 3 cards and special summon all drawn Phantom Thief monsters.

(instant win if all 7 are on field field spell with once per turn draw when you deal battle damage in battle with phantom knight) [ Ethereal Empire]

and 

(counter trap to omni negate by discard or detach material). [Counter Hack]

I would probably raise the threshold of the win con (especially with the support as I see you were already planning on adding spell traps) and cannot be used as material clause

Thinking back on it, upping the win condition and preventing XYZ evolution was a must. Good call. I currently have it at 11, I figure you need a perfect field*, activate his effect, activate the field spell with a stolen card in your hand to set, and still attack with him to win in one turn. It is also 1/5 of a full deck (40 main deck and 15 extra deck) and an Ocean's 11 reference so I think it works out well.

Fence, Breakout, and Getaway were cards I already mostly came up with but they still fill roles of some of the cards you are suggesting. The field is partially inspired by your Advantage idea. I like the concept of Risky Maneuver, but a 1/6 chance to automatically fill him up to 9 stolen cards seems like it may be broken.

Name of Archetype changed because I didn't like the syntax of the support cards. It should be "Phantasm Thieves' Getaway" but it would have to be "Phantasm Thief's Getaway". Now they have a trademark accessible adjective that is easy to attach to nouns for support  cards; "Phantastic Getaway".

* a perfect field for these guys is 2 of their monsters on the field, 3 stolen monsters, and 5 stolen spells/traps. That way, Mastermind starts off with 8 win condition materials and a free removal effect.

Risky Maneuver was a 1 in 6 chance to add 7 stolen (because 2 would be your own) but still very powerful you could replace 6 with something else like roll twice and take both results rerolling on 6?

Break in is broken pls fix. (a restriction condition cost maybe only special summon 1 one and banish all non Phantom thief?)

Everything else is wonderful!

3 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Risky Maneuver was a 1 in 6 chance to add 7 stolen (because 2 would be your own) but still very powerful you could replace 6 with something else like roll twice and take both results rerolling on 6?

Break in is broken pls fix. (a restriction condition cost maybe only special summon 1 one and banish all non Phantom thief?)

Everything else is wonderful!

I somehow forgot to account for the cards that were from yourself.😅 Which is better; a continuous spell that destroys itself if you roll wrong but can activate once per turn (representing the risk) or a regular spell guranteed to grant a good effect once? I also think the consequence is going to prevent removing Mastermind materials for effects until the end phase meaning you can't trade the cards you got from yourself for another stolen card on the same turn. I'm definitely including this card before I call the set done, just still fine tuning it.

Speaking of fine tuning, Break In is fixed. It is now a continuous spell that activates once per turn if you already control 1 Phantastic Thief and places the rest on the bottom of the deck. This makes it level with the Adamancipators.

I like these! New age Dark Scorpions with a special twist!

In general, I feel like the alternate win condition runs into a similar "problem" as Vennominaga (i.e. It's probably much easier to knock the opponent's LP to 0 than pull off the alternative win condition). Of course, the special win condition is purely optional anyway, so it shouldn't interfere with how the rest of the deck functions.

I do have 1 question though: are these "Phantasm Thieves" or "Phantastic Thieves"? The names say one thing, but most of the cards' effects list the other.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:30 AM, Tinkerer said:

I like these! New age Dark Scorpions with a special twist!

In general, I feel like the alternate win condition runs into a similar "problem" as Vennominaga (i.e. It's probably much easier to knock the opponent's LP to 0 than pull off the alternative win condition). Of course, the special win condition is purely optional anyway, so it shouldn't interfere with how the rest of the deck functions.

I do have 1 question though: are these "Phantasm Thieves" or "Phantastic Thieves"? The names say one thing, but most of the cards' effects list the other.

I originally had them as "Phantasm Thief" but changed it to "Phantastic Thief" because I liked the support card names better. I forgot to change it in the card text for Scrounger and Grifter. Thanks for the catch. You're probably right about the win condition, but it's too fun a concept for me to drop due to practicality.

@ITSUKOSOADO's card idea has been added as "Phantastic Big Score" and Hideout and Calling Card have been beefed up a little. With that, this set is done.

• MickeyDee changed the title to Let's Go Steal a Duel - New Archetype [Written - Complete 13/13]

Archived