Trump minimizes bin Laden on day of Kabul explosions

cr47t

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-suggests-osama-bin-laden-wasnt-a-monster-says-he-only-had-one-hit

my take: i know this shouldn't be surprising since he bragged about his tower size after the real 9/11, but wtf. i can't tell is he is deliberately planning his controversial statements to coincide with insensitive timing or if he really doesn't care.

(NOTE: this is a thread about this specific comment by trump. there is a separate thread on the Taliban resurgence if you want to post more generally about that.)

Well, while what he's saying may be true, the timing makes the statement seem insensitive. But in all fairness, Trump was never one to give two hoots about anyone's feelings and tends to spout the truth at quite possibly the worst imaginable times. So say Bin Laden wasn't a monster. Problem is that Bin Laden is dead and who ever took over his role as the head of the Taliban could be a monster. That's my take.

6 hours ago, Horu said:

Well, while what he's saying may be true, the timing makes the statement seem insensitive. But in all fairness, Trump was never one to give two hoots about anyone's feelings and tends to spout the truth at quite possibly the worst imaginable times. So say Bin Laden wasn't a monster. Problem is that Bin Laden is dead and who ever took over his role as the head of the Taliban could be a monster. That's my take.

true that trump don't care about what anyone else thinks (in the worst possible way) and has some of the worst timing and repsonsibility management i've seen from any household-name single person in recent times (*cough* netflix *achoo*). but hold up

how is what trump saying true? it's not bin laden's only "successful" strike (even if its his most prominent; also, "hit" is a very unfitting word in this context so trump still needs to work on that) and even if bin laden had only succeeded with "the world trade center" (and as for the pentagon??) we still lost thousands of lives in the largest "successful" terrorist attack in the history of not only the USA, but possibly the whole modern free world. is that not an (near?-)exclusively monstrous act? and single-time frequency don't mean shit when the severity of the attack says everything most of us needed to know (at least at the time). yes he's dead, but that only emphasizes the problem with his statement which is that trump's still busy ranting over people who, due to being dead, are no longer a threat to him or anyone else (without the dead part, this wouldn't be close to the first time he's done this) but he still laser-beam focuses on them as if they are around.

on a side note, i'm willing to bet (given his political history in the republican side) that he's still bitter that obama got the job done first, but that may be a subject for another thread.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, cr47t said:

true that trump don't care about what anyone else thinks (in the worst possible way) and has some of the worst timing and repsonsibility management i've seen from any household-name single person in recent times (*cough* netflix *achoo*). but hold up

how is what trump saying true? it's not bin laden's only "successful" strike (even if its his most prominent; also, "hit" is a very unfitting word in this context so trump still needs to work on that) and even if bin laden had only succeeded with "the world trade center" (and as for the pentagon??) we still lost thousands of lives in the largest "successful" terrorist attack in the history of not only the USA, but possibly the whole modern free world. is that not an (near?-)exclusively monstrous act? and single-time frequency don't mean shit when the severity of the attack says everything most of us needed to know (at least at the time). yes he's dead, but that only emphasizes the problem with his statement which is that trump's still busy ranting over people who, due to being dead, are no longer a threat to him or anyone else (without the dead part, this wouldn't be close to the first time he's done this) but he still laser-beam focuses on them as if they are around.

on a side note, i'm willing to bet (given his political history in the republican side) that he's still bitter that obama got the job done first, but that may be a subject for another thread.

To be fair, the WTC has been hit many times before Bin Laden ever a mind to do it. Bin Laden was just the only one that was successful with his attack.

Edit: The WTC has been a major target for attacks since it was built. Bin Laden wasn't the only guy that tried. But if you watch the footage, ignore what's happening at the top of the towers and ask yourself why the towers imploded instead of the top portion of the building just collapsing and falling to the street below.

Archived