A guide to making custom archetypes

Surge77754

Just as you said tbh. There's a reason for jokes to be made around the lines of "Pot of Extravangances effect is to banish 6 cards in Extra to make your opponent discard their Ash Blossom", and still end up with cards such as Desires, Extrav and Prosperity being played. Not only are the effects useful, many decks like Synchron can easily crumble against a well placed Ash, and as you mentioned, being able to bait the activation of it is extremely useful

What makes a card generic or not?

• They can be splashed into ANY deck
  • They can be Summoned easily from ANY deck

You can do generic cards but you have to be careful of what hidden power it may contain.

Mage Power is a generic Equip Card but you need a monster in your hand that can be normal summoned, hence it is a -2 in card advantage.  

17 hours ago, Surge77754 said:

What makes a card generic or not?

• They can be splashed into ANY deck
  • They can be Summoned easily from ANY deck

You can do generic cards but you have to be careful of what hidden power it may contain.

Mage Power is a generic Equip Card but you need a monster in your hand that can be normal summoned, hence it is a -2 in card advantage.  

Some examples are Raigeki, Harpies Feather Duster, The Solemn traps, Knightmares, The ghost girl hand traps, Infinite Impermanence.

There are some parts of archetypes that are splash able

like a few notable fusions (DPE and Dragoon)

Paleozoic I wish to mention because they are a splash able archetype that have synergy with certain decks such as the use of mage power as you could control 11 spell/traps and Frogs because they are level 2 water monsters that work well together. It's always cool to see splash able cards that have particular synergy with certain deck or other card combos

• Like 2

Please do not make a vague idea when making a custom archetype.  For example, I want my archetype to be a control deck.  That is very vague as every control deck works differently.  Instead, ask yourself, how do you want to hinder what the opponent does? Nor should you say something like "I want my custom archetype to resist 2 handtraps", because combo pieces can be used to bait them out. 

And also, do not do something along the lines like Swordsoul Yang Zing but better.  That tempts people to play the original rather than your archetype, as you have copies an idea. Making a custom archetype is about using your own ideas and inspiration, not copying an existing idea from a TCG archetype and claiming it as your own.  

Edited by Surge77754

Before we go asking around if your custom archetype is linear or not, we need to get a clearer definition of what you mean by it.  There are two cases

• linear combo wise: The archetype has only one specific combo it can do, and you do that specific combo throughout the game constantly. It does that 1 thing constantly.  
  • linear end board wise: The archetype has only one specific end board it can do. You do that same endboard throughout the game constantly.  End board components may include negating stuff, plus possibly some disruption.    

If you can do multiple things in your archetype, and you do not do the same thing as the game progresses, then you have an archetype that is non-linear both combo wise and end board wise.   

1 hour ago, Surge77754 said:

Before we go asking around if your custom archetype is linear or not, we need to get a clearer definition of what you mean by it.  There are two cases

• linear combo wise: The archetype has only one specific combo it can do, and you do that specific combo throughout the game constantly. It does that 1 thing constantly.  
  • linear end board wise: The archetype has only one specific end board it can do. You do that same endboard throughout the game constantly.  End board components may include negating stuff, plus possibly some disruption.    

If you can do multiple things in your archetype, and you do not do the same thing as the game progresses, then you have an archetype that is non-linear both combo wise and end board wise.   

Is it better to have a linear combo and endnoard or not. Because I feel like a linear combo can brick more

1 hour ago, Ankh_Dev said:

Is it better to have a linear combo and endnoard or not. Because I feel like a linear combo can brick more

That's a very good question you ask there, Ankh.  A linear combo can brick more because it needs specific pieces in your hand for it to work (i.e. if you do NOT have those specific pieces, then your linear combo ends up becoming inconsistent).  For example, Invoked is about having Aliester and Invocation to Invoke the machine monsters.  Another example is ABC Dragon Buster Turbo (it needs the A-Assault Core, B-Buster Drake, and C- Crush Wyvern) for it to work, as its combo is about getting the titular card by itself and using it to disrupt the opponent. 

2 hours ago, Surge77754 said:

That's a very good question you ask there, Ankh.  A linear combo can brick more because it needs specific pieces in your hand for it to work (i.e. if you do NOT have those specific pieces, then your linear combo ends up becoming inconsistent).  For example, Invoked is about having Aliester and Invocation to Invoke the machine monsters.  Another example is ABC Dragon Buster Turbo (it needs the A-Assault Core, B-Buster Drake, and C- Crush Wyvern) for it to work, as its combo is about getting the titular card by itself and using it to disrupt the opponent. 

So Im assuming have multiple endboard bosses and combos is beneficial to prevent bricks. Kind of like how d/d/d has multiple fusion and synchro options and can end up in a boss xyz if it works out?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ankh_Dev said:

So Im assuming have multiple endboard bosses and combos is beneficial to prevent bricks. Kind of like how d/d/d has multiple fusion and synchro options and can end up in a boss xyz if it works out?

True, but this isn’t always the case for all custom archetypes.

• Thanks 1

When thinking of a mechanic, keep it simple and expand on it later on.  Like for example, the less number of cards in your Main Deck, the stronger your monsters becomes.  This bring some Gren Maju Di Eiza vibes.  

You'd also want a solid strategy for your archetype, which will come later.  So plan in the long run, and you should be fine.

Edited by Surge77754
  • Like 1

i thought of one a while ago and Booloomer knows about it is "Loyal Guardian" and it is a mechanic where if its other loyal guardian like these two are on the field they prevent each other from dying and prevent the user from losing LP and did anyone else think of this (so that i am not copying someone else's work)

createcard (17).jpeg

createcard (18).jpeg

10 hours ago, Cadyn Neece said:

i thought of one a while ago and Booloomer knows about it is "Loyal Guardian" and it is a mechanic where if its other loyal guardian like these two are on the field they prevent each other from dying and prevent the user from losing LP and did anyone else think of this (so that i am not copying someone else's work)

createcard (17).jpeg

createcard (18).jpeg

Hmm, the game plan you have is good.  In order to get these two cards on the field, you need 2 Tributes, and you'd want something that has this in card text.
"If you control 2 Loyal Guardian monsters, Loyal Guardian monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle, also you do not take any Battle Damage involving them." 

• Like 2

Floodgates are commonly called Prison Cards as they lock the opponent out from either playing the game, or an aspect of the game.  Let's look at the floodgates in the TCG and how they pertain to custom cards.

• The Dark Door
  • Mask of Restrict
  • Gozen Match 
  • Imperial Iron Wall
  • Macro Cosmos 
  • Rivalry of Warlords 
  • There can only be One 

The Dark Door only allows 1 monster to attack during each Battle Phase. This is not meta relevant, and there are S/T removal that can deal with this.  It is only good at slowing down the duel pace, but not enough to take away the game at all.  A multi-attacker can be an out to this. Weak to moderate in terms of strength.  

Mask of Restrict is a floodgate that prevents Tributes.  Even so, not everyone Tribute Summons nowadays, so this floodgate is very weak. Even if a custom archetype wants to focus Tribute Summoning, they will include 1 S/T removal to deal with it, so it's not a problem.

Gozen Match only allows your opponent to control only 1 Attribute of monster.  This is moderate in terms of a floodgate, as it forces the opponent to play decks that center around 1 Attribute or lose the game unless they have S/T removal. The same is true for Rivalry of Warlords - if they do not play a deck that centers around 1 monster Type, they will be forced to admit defeat.  Avoid these two in terms of custom card design in general.  

Imperial Iron Wall is a prison card that prevents players from banishing cards.  Although there are some decks that rely on banishing, not everyone plays custom archetype(s) that have a banish focus.  In terms of strength it is moderate, as it shuts down banishing in general.  Doesn't stop the opponent from playing the game though, as not all cards in the TCG deal with banish removal.

Macro Cosmos is the strongest floodgate as it shuts down the GY.  The GY can be seen as a second hand/resource to some decks, and using it cripples the TCG meta.  For this reason, it was limited. Avoid this when making custom cards. 

There can Only be One forces you to play a deck with different monster Types or be forced to lose the game.  Avoid this when making custom cards.  

When making the boss monster of ANY custom archetype, think of it as the archetype's win condition.  If you work from top-down from the boss, you can design your archetype that way.  The boss monster in mind must tie to the theme of your archetype and help with your archetype in some way with the theme you picked.     

Keep in mind that the boss monster is not something that must have high original ATK and DEF.  It can have a low original ATK and DEF, but a huge buff that makes it the final boss.  Also keep in mind that not all custom archetypes need a final boss in order for it to function. And also, the final boss does not have to always be a towers (e.g. Qli, and the link 6 Ignister).   

The boss monster of a custom archetype can appear in a duel mid-to-end game.

Edited by Surge77754

17 hours ago, Booloomer said:

How does Dueling Book's Custom Card System work, if I can ask? How do they make Custom Cards work in actual duels?

Well, the custom card system in dueling book has a button called custom cards.  Login to your account, and then scroll down to the button that says custom cards and click on it.  

Now you will have a screen that shows you a form of what to do when making custom cards.  Fill in the form and then submit.  If you want to add an image, you have to upload the card first and then submit an image.  

They make it work in actual duels by clicking on the Category Custom Cards unrated duel and then a duel starts. In an actual duel, you start with 8000 LP.  

On 1/21/2022 at 8:08 AM, Booloomer said:

I've made custom cards with Dueling Book. I just don't understand how they're able to make the effects work; it's really crazy.

Some people make custom cards for the sake of winning - ask yourself, your opponent has to play against you.  What good is your archetype is your opponent cannot play against the archetype you have made.  I'd avoid making stuff that ends on 7+ negates as that is way too broken.