Giftbringer Archetype

morrisoni4

So the idea behind this archetype is that Santa's elves - the "Giftbringer Assistants" - give out gifts - Present Counters - to all the monsters for various reasons, which the reindeer - the "Giftbringer Steeds" - activate to buff them. So everyone gets in on the spirit of Christmas with a high-risk, high-reward strategy of power-ups. Eventually the big man himself, Santa shows up, known as "Giftbringer Boss Nicholas." But not far behind is his ever-present shadow - the "Giftbringer Terror Krampus," who is dead set on preventing the opponent from gaining any benefits from the gifts, because they're on the Naughty List!

“Giftbringer Steed Dasher”

Level 6/Beast/LIGHT/Effect/2500/1200

All monsters can make attacks equal to the number of Present Counters on them during each Battle Phase.

“Giftbringer Steed Dancer”

Once per turn, the turn player can target one monster they control and gain 500 LP for each Present Counter on it.

“Giftbringer Steed Prancer”

When any monster with a Present Counter on it would be destroyed by a card effect, remove one Present Counter from it instead.

“Giftbringer Steed Vixen”

Once per turn, the turn player may Tribute one monster with at least one Present Counter on it to Special Summon one monster of a Level equal to or less than the amount of present counters that monster had when it was Tributed.

“Giftbringer Steed Comet”

All battle damage dealt by a monster with Present Counters them is increased by 100 per Present Counter on that monster.

“Giftbringer Steed Cupid”

Any time a monster with Present Counters is attacked, it gains ATK and Defense equal to 500x the number of Present Counters on it until the end of the Battle Phase.

“Giftbringer Steed Donner”

Once per turn, the turn player can target one monster they control with at least one Present Counter on it and one other monster they control, equip that second target to the first target unless it is already equipped with a number of monsters by this effect that is equal to the number of Present Counters on it. Any monster equipped with another monster by this effect gains half of the DEF of the equipped monsters.

“Giftbringer Steed Blitzen”

Once per turn, the turn player can remove all Present Counters from a monster they control to add a number of Present Counters to another monster on the field up to the number removed. No monster may have more than 5 Present Counters after this effect resolves.

“Giftbringer Assistant Jingle”

Level 3/Spellcaster/LIGHT/Effect/120/250

Cannot be destroyed by battle while you control another monster. When any monster attacks, place one Present Counter on it, up to a maximum of 5.

“Giftbringer Assistant Belle”

Cannot be destroyed by battle while you control another monster. Once per turn, during the Standby Phase, place one Present Counter on all monsters the turn player controls, up to a maximum of 5.

“Giftbringer Assistant Mary”

Cannot be destroyed by battle while you control another monster. Up to twice per turn, the turn player can target one monster on the field, place one Present Counter on that monster, up to a maximum of 5.

“Giftbringer Assistant Chrissy”

Cannot be destroyed by battle while you control another monster. Double the amount of all Present Counters placed on other monsters, but do not place more than 5 on any monster.

“Giftbringer Boss Nicholas”

Level 12/Spellcaster/LIGHT/Effect/0/0

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing at least 2 monsters with Present Counters on them (max. 5). Gains 250 ATK and DEF for each Present Counter on the Tributed Monsters, and for each Present Counter on monsters you control.

“Giftbringer Terror Krampus”

Level 6/Spellcaster/LIGHT/Effect/0/0

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) to your opponent's field by Tributing 1 monster they control with 5 Present Counters on it. When this card is Summoned, remove all Present Counters from all monsters you control. This card gains 500 DEF for each Present Counter removed in this manner.  Monsters you control are unaffected by the effects of “Giftbringer” monsters, except “Giftbringer Terror Krampus.”

“Santa’s Sleigh”

Equip Spell

Equip only to a “Giftbringer” monster. The equipped monster gains one Present Counter during the Standby Phase of each turn, up to a maximum of 5.

“Glowing Nose”

Equip Spell

Equip only to a Beast-Type “Giftbringer” monster. If the equipped monster is attacked, you may switch the attack target to any other monster you control.

“Time Freeze”

Field Spell

Once per turn, the turn player can remove all Present Counters from one monster they control to add one card from their GY to their hand. Neither player takes any battle damage from battles involving “Giftbringer” monsters.

"Lump of Coal"

Normal Trap

When your opponent's monster declares a direct attack, Special Summon one Level 6 or lower "Giftbringer" monster, place 5 Present Counters on the Summoned monster, and negate that attack.

@Rayfield Lumina Here's my next batch of Christmas Cheer! Hope you enjoy it!

What can I say, I DID enjoy it xD

I can only imagine the madness this archetype can ensue with these "the turn player can do X", glad you took the suggestion about evil Krampus' effect. Some tiny insight about the cards:

Dasher - First one and probably the most dangerous, these assassin 2500 ATK deers can really slaughter people if they're able to attack many times. Consider that its sole effect lets every single monster on the field make multiple attacks based on the Present counters, and that can spell doom in a single turn even though the opponent can use it potentially (they won't have a chance, most likely). You just gotta use Lump on Coal and you have 12500 damage in one Reindeer xD

Dancer - Aight, I'd dance too

Prancer - Cool effect, but again, it's so easy to gain Present Counters that it's going to be hell to kill anything by card effect lol

Vixen - This one is balanced, I like it. Interestingly enough, the SSing is for a generic monster, but that's not that big of an issue considering this card can't do anything without archetypal support.

Comet - There is no precedent to "battle damage increase" and I'd rather avoid that. Instead, I'd say you can use effect damage instead.
If a monster with a Present Counter(s) on them inflicts battle damage to the opponent, the player taking battle damage takes damage equal to the number of Present Counters that monster has x100.
I know, becomes much more convoluted, but this way it makes sense.

Cupid - +500 per counter, holy moly. Our fav card, Coal, and its +2500 lol

Donner - While reading I was expecting ATK increase, and it ended up being DEF. It's... pretty strange, since each equip will give it +600 max

Blitzen - A reindeer who knows how to manage resources, quite handy.

Jingle - Here's a lethal problem. This card has a continuous effect that, without limitations, places a counter on a monster each time it attacks. So you control Dasher, and it attacks, gains a Counter. And Dasher says, ah, hell yeah, I have a counter, I attack again. And Jingle says, "oh, you attacked again? Here's a counter, And Dasher... etc. And no, this effect doesn't interrupt the battle phase, as it's a trigger effect, not ignition. So, you can see the problem...

Belle - Presents for everyoooone. Makes more sense, at least lol

Mary - Yep, I can support this card n.n

Chrissy - Due to the specific wording, I'm unsure how this card works. "Double the amount", it says, but when and how? Is this an ignition effect? How many times per turn? Is it a continuous effect that "doubles the value of the counters". IDTS, I think this is a case of an effect that can only be used once, soooo if this was the case:

Once while this card is face-up on the field: You can double the amount etc...

Nicholas - Yeah, an angry beater xD

Krampus - Great effect. Did someone suggest you this? Genius, that guy :v

Sleight and Nose - They do their job. 

Time Freeze - Since the archetype is pretty offensive due to the multiple attack thingy this card is kinda problematic unless you find a way to get rid of it at the right time.

Lump of Coal - Our best friend is back xD

Welp, I hope my feedback was of help. Maybe I should be more lenient given its for the funzies, but I like to give honest feedback always, and I love many of the cards n.n

Well regarding Comet, messing with Battle Damage does have a bit of precedent through "Rod of the Mind's Eye" and "Temple of the Mind's Eye," but it's a bit different. Your version makes sense.

For Jingle, I honestly didn't think about that particular combination, though I should have. So let's change it to adding them at the end of the Battle Phase, yeah?

To your point about Time Freeze, yeah, it might be tricky to use, but with proper burn damage or (and I'm just now thinking of this) your version of Comet's effect where it's effect damage instead of a battle damage increase fits right in.

Regarding Chrissy, perhaps a better wording would be "Whenever a Present Counter(s) is placed on a monster by a card effect, except that of "Giftbringer Assistant Chrissy," place the same number of Present Counters on that same monster, not exceeding 5 counters on one monster."

Archived