Set Contest

Loleo

This is a contest that will challenge its participants to make a card that supports the "set" mechanic and maybe some other themes.

The contest will be opened until May 30th. There will be more prizes the more people that join.

1st - (minimum 3 people) I will make a 30 second song.

2nd - (minimum 5 people) I will make a stylized drawing of a question mark themed in a way of your choice.

3rd - (minimum 8 people) I will make a one card written support to any archetype of your choice (custom or existing).

Criteria

Themes: There may be hidden themes hinted at in the instructions, for every theme you hit you get 1.5 points!

Art: 1-3 points will be awarded for an image from the internet, 3-5 points will be awarded for art you created.

Balance/Playability: Is the card at least playable casually and will it not break the meta up to 5 points.

Originality: up to 10 points will be awarded to unique insightful lore and effects to play with.

Personal preference: You are free to explain any choices, lore, themes you believe you've hit, etc. I will award up to 5 points under personal preference.

The Deadline for submission is May 30th. Please only submit one card (you may edit your original submission up until the deadline) and keep posts relevant to the competition.

10 hours ago, Neo Nae said:

hmmm new to card making and can't draw, what fun ^-^

It's not required to have art, and I believe in you! your first card was wonderful, but no advice before the end of the contest.

• 3 weeks later...

Seikitremula_the_Melodiafano.thumb.jpg.f0b87c28b188872e0e587d2c88cd724d.jpg

Seikitremula, the Melodiáfano

LIGHT                             Level 8

Fairy / Effect

During your Main Phase, If you have Set at least 2 cards during this turn, you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. If Summoned this way: You can Set all cards in this card's column. Cards Set by this effect in your opponent's field cannot be flipped. The ATK/DEF of this card each become equal to the number of "Melodious", "Orcust", "Solfachord", "Symphonic Warrior" and/or "Trickstar" monsters in your GY x 300. You can Set your LP to any number between 1 and this card's current ATK, but no higher than 3600. You can only use each effect of "Seikitremula, the Melodiáfano" once per turn.

ATK ? / DEF ?

Welp, here's my entry. This is the very first time I make something 100% digitally out of almost nowhere. I say almost because one day I gave a try to one of those A.I. capable of drawing something just by inputting keywords, and the result was something that resembles this a little, so you could say that was my inspiration. I enjoyed making this, it was a strange experience. Make of this being what you will, the idea was to make a surrealistic entity of music.

So IDK, the rules were somewhat cryptic, despite the Status with the more elaborate hint. I just went and made something that Sets in two different ways, has question marks on it and supports music archetypes, similarly to how my old Pippola's Musical Introspection card did. Also a bit of the inspiration here came from Cannon Seller.

2 hours ago, Jaquan harvey said:

Hakaijuoh.thumb.jpeg.8cacc98bdb60dcdfc3436459d1d0f5f7.jpeg

Can I use this? It's ok if I can't.

Sadly no, you've used this card elsewhere, and it doesn't even fit the theme of the challenge.

Alright. I'm cutting it really close. But...I wanted to draw something for my submission. So...here he is:

22879875bc05.jpg

Bazuso, the Light in the Darkness

DARK

Level 8

Warrior/Effect

ATK: 2500

DEF:2000

FLIP: Banish 1 card on the field.
If you control no monsters, you can Normal Set this card without Tributing. If a Set card you control is destroyed or banished by an opponent card's effect (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, it gains 500 ATK and DEF.

8 hours ago, Jaquan harvey said:

Are you accepting fusion cards

I'll take the liberty of answering in behalf of Loleo. There are no specifications of card types in the rules. You're supposed to match the "Set" + hidden themes, but nothing else. So in short, yeah, you man make any kind of card, Effect Mon, Fusion, Ritual, etc., just match the contest's theme.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, Jaquan harvey said:

Are you accepting fusion cards

On 5/27/2022 at 5:50 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'll take the liberty of answering in behalf of Loleo. There are no specifications of card types in the rules. You're supposed to match the "Set" + hidden themes, but nothing else. So in short, yeah, you man make any kind of card, Effect Mon, Fusion, Ritual, etc., just match the contest's theme.

Rays quote is indeed correct, I did not specify, but please do not use a card that you have posted before. Preferably I hope for a card made for this contest, but I can't prove you're using an old card if it's not from here. All other aspects of grading are listed in the initial post.

@Rayfield Lumina

Themes:

Set*2: you have at least 2 types of set! 6 points!

Music: Yep! 1.5 points.

Support: Absolutely 1.5 points.

The last one was tough Question: X nope. 

Total of 9/10.5 points

Art: 3.5 points. I have used similar software to make art before. That's actually where my profile pic came from! 3.5/5 points

Balance/Playability: 4 points, I'm a little confused on the part "Cards Set by this effect in your opponent's field cannot be flipped". How would this work if you attacked a monster set by this effect? 4/5 points

Originality: 8 points. Plenty of unique effects all together just useful enough to see play in any of the aforementioned archetypes! 8/10 points

Personal preference: 3 points. I appreciate the artistic engine and references. The card, while unique to the archetypes it supports, still has a masterful construction. I also appreciate the reference to my song and monster one thing I'm sad about is the card doesn't have a set! 3/5 points.

Total 27.5/35.5

@The Nyx Avatar

Themes:

Set*2: you have at least 2 types of set (but I have to say sets are normally 3 letters and 3 numbers)! 5.5 points

Music: X nope.

Support: .5 points. It supports Traps and flip monsters indirectly.

The last one was tough Question: X nope. 

Total of 6/10.5 points

Art: 4.5 points. I appreciate the time and detail of the art! 4.5/5 points

Balance/Playability: 4 points, I can't see this guy being very viable. He works alright at what he's tryig to do. Might be good in casual play. 4/5 points

Originality: 7 points. Not too many groundbreaking effects here. It's strength doesn't lie here.  7/10 points

Personal preference: 3 points. The text is short and simple. The lore has power. I get this guy's appeal! 3/5 points.

Total 24.5/35.5

The winner is @Rayfield Lumina With Seikitremula, the Melodiáfano!

4 hours ago, Loleo said:

I have used similar software to make art before. That's actually where my profile pic came from! 3.5/5 points

I just mentioned that once I used a software of sorts, and I kinda based myself on that artificial artwork to create something on my own with my... rough skills xD

4 hours ago, Loleo said:

I'm a little confused on the part "Cards Set by this effect in your opponent's field cannot be flipped". How would this work if you attacked a monster set by this effect?

tbh that was an oversight so it's ok I was penalized with one point. It should have said it cannot be flipped except by being flipped face up due to an attack.

4 hours ago, Loleo said:

one thing I'm sad about is the card doesn't have a set!

forgot about that lmao. I used the card's serial number to name it LoleoCon but didn't give it set

Archived