Is there a continuous trap/spell card that stops a player from discarding?

2005Cardman

Question

I can't seem to find a way around decks built to force you to discard your hand every turn. Is there a card that stops that effect? I feel like there shoud be and I may have missed it. Otherwise, If there's no real way to consistently counter discarding like that, then there's no reason to play. Why play when the other player is playing just to make it where you can't. That's not even a game; that's just watching someone shuffle cards.

2 answers to this question

Not that I can think of, no.  That's part of the reason why hand destruction such an OP mechanic and why lots of hand destruction cards are/have remained on the banlist; it should not usually be an issue nowadays since building a hand-destruction deck is super inconsistent.

...still, if you really want a counter to that strategy, the best cards are things that react to being discarded.  There's a scale of options, ranging from "generally useful, but doesn't punish the opponent that well" (Danger! monsters), to "generally useless, but really powerful if countering a discard strat" (Neko Mane King).  The Dark World archetype is somewhere in between those two sides, while stuff like Burning Abyss and Tearlaments can actively benefit from your opponent trying to discard them.

Archived