[CYAC] Amazement Dominator Arlekino

https://ygorganization.com/naughtykidshaveheiratkprivilegesremoved/

image.png.ab646abd9a2441d80272a18ad4b73488.png

CYAC-JP023 Amazement Dominator <Arlechino> / Amazement Dominator Arlekino
LIGHT/Level 7/Psychic/Effect
You can only use the 1st and 2nd effect of this card’s name each once per turn.
(1) If you control an “Amazement” monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then you can add 1 “Amazement Family Faces” from your Deck or GY to your hand.
(2) During your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 other Effect Monster on the field; shuffle this card into the Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Amazement Administrator Arlekino” from your Deck, then change the targeted monster’s ATK to 0.
2600/2200

Ugh, I was hyped when I saw the card, but every time I reread it, I get more frustrated.

TL;WR: The card is bad.

Rant time

Quick Amazement summary: Archetype is trap based using Normal Traps that equip to monsters your opponent controls or Amazement monsters you control.  When equipped to opponent's monsters, they usually have 1-and-done effects that usually disrupt the monsters it was equipped to.  While equipped to your monsters, they usually get better control effects, and they stay on the field to be used turn after turn.  Only 2 Amazement monsters are really solid: The main Trap Setter (Comica) and the boss (Arlekino).  The remaining monsters are okay at best and only conditionally useful.

The archetype's main weaknesses are the typical trap ones (too slow + bad going second), while also having its own unique ones: over-reliance on the opponent's monsters, cannot establish strong board presence/pressure quickly, and no way to recycle your monsters.

This card... takes your trap heavy control deck that usually has minimal in-archetype monster investment... and forces you to run the bad monsters just to have more names.  On top of that, by being high level, it adds another potential brick to the deck.  The card searches the least searchable and potentially most powerful trap in the deck, but that trap feeds into the same issues on opponent's monster reliance.

This card's (2) effect annoys me to no end.  To get the most benefit out of OG Arlekino, you want to use this card's effect before your opponent summons a monster.  Which means, you have to use this against your own board.  However, if you want to use this card effectively, you have to summon OG Arlekino after your opponent commits to the board, making OG Arlekino vulnerable and unable to trigger its effect.  Also, WHY COULDN'T THAT LAST EFFECT SUMMON ARLEKINO FROM DECK/GY???  Heck, I would actually consider using this card if it could recycle Arlekino!

It's as though the card was designed entirely to raise the deck's ceiling without addressing the deck's shaky foundations. Ugh, I hope I'm wrong about the card.

Archived