Official Pokemon Discussion. (The 5th gen starts now)

Flame Dragon

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am officially the master of Firered/Leafgreen.

Anyway, trying something like this:

Machamp, Naughty

Double Edge

Cross Chop

Rock Slide

Bulk Up

Arcanine, Naughty

Flamethrower

Extremespeed

Iron Tail

??? Tech move

Raichu, Mild

Thunderbolt

Brick Break

Thunder Wave

??? Tech move

Dragonite, Calm

Outrage

Thunderbolt

Flamethrower

Thunder Wave

Alakazam, Modest

Psychic

Shock Wave

Thunder Wave

Calm Mind

Blastoise, Modest

Surf

Ice Beam

??? Tech move

??? Tech move

Now I'm going to discuss something very close to my heart right now. It's called the electric type.

And how there are like 3 good members overall.

There are no "real" good ones, except for Jolteon, or Electivire. And I can't use either of them because my OCD prevents me unless I use either

a. Magmortar

b. another eeveelution

I don't use Rotom because I don't play using GEN V (yet) and I don't a have a secret key. Also Zapdos is cheap.

I just wish Eelektross was faster. That would've been amazing.

Now I'm going to discuss something very close to my heart right now. It's called the electric type.

And how there are like 3 good members overall.

There are no "real" good ones, except for Jolteon, or Electivire. And I can't use either of them because my OCD prevents me unless I use either

a. Magmortar

b. another eeveelution

I don't use Rotom because I don't play using GEN V (yet) and I don't a have a secret key. Also Zapdos is cheap.

I just wish Eelektross was faster. That would've been amazing.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/types/electric

Jolteon is still my favorite because of how it just murdered Blue Blastoise in my Fire Red run when he was all I had left. ATM though, my team uses Rotom Wash. Such good typing and ability.

> Only about 3 or so good Electric-Types

lolololololol. Besides, Electivire is one of the terrible ones.

I'll post some good sets.

Lanturn w/Ice Beam + Thunderbolt i.e. BoltBeam.

Magnezone as a Special Sweeper

Magneton w/ Eviolite as a faster and more defensive sweeper, but weaker.

Electross w/ Coil and Zap Cannon.

Status Taunt Lead Thundurus

Zekrom in Ubers

Raikou (but he's a bit meh)

> Only about 3 or so good Electric-Types

lolololololol. Besides, Electivire is one of the terrible ones.

I'll post some good sets.

Lanturn w/Ice Beam + Thunderbolt i.e. BoltBeam.

Magnezone as a Special Sweeper

Magneton w/ Eviolite as a faster and more defensive sweeper, but weaker.

Electross w/ Coil and Zap Cannon.

Status Taunt Lead Thundurus

Zekrom in Ubers

Raikou (but he's a bit meh)

Why do you list Lanturn and not Rotom? I mean W has the same typing, only better, and still has access to a bunch of other forms.

Also Jolteon is still a solid Pokemon, even if it isn't OU.

Well, he said discluding Rotom.

Besides, they are used for completely different things. Rotom-W is good, mainly because of Will-o-Wisp access and a bulky HP.

Lanturn's used because it has Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, with Water/Electric typing. Rotom lacks Ice Beam.

He did? Didn't see that. w/e.

Not really. Both are defensive pokemon so they will more or less fill the same role on a team.

Rotom lacks Ice Beam, but has Wisp, as you said, a decent heal move, and a ground immunity. Simply having Ice Beam doesn't do much for Lanturn. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool pokemon, and one I would use in lower tiers, but it simply isn't Rotom W.

Rotom W is better than lanturn.... But it depends what role you want them to play.

How so? The only stat the Lanturn has better then Rotom is HP, but Rotom has a much better healing move that also works with his low HP. And side from that one HP stat Lanturn's next highest stat is base 76. So yea, why do you think Lanturn is that good?

The thing is that they're incomparable.

They won't play the same role at all in a team. It's true that Rotom-W is generally better, but Lanturn fits a gap in teams that Rotom-W cannot fit into to.

Ice Beam + Thunderbolt is one of the more lethal combinations in the game. It hits nearly half all the types for super effective damage, especially when backed up by Scald or Surf. Lanturn then has the benefit of a pretty decent HP, and an amazing typing too. After that, it has a free spot for a Hidden Power, and in this case, should be backed up with Life Orb or Choice Specs.

Rotom-W has the benefits of Pain Split and Will-o-Wisp. But lacks Ice Beam. That sums up Rotom-W.

So, if you want a slower, but more effective tank: Rotom. For a pokemon that is basically a toolbox: Lanturn.

It's not a case of 'who's better'.

The thing is that they're incomparable.

Both pokemon will be used for a defensive role. The only you really seem to be pointing out as the difference is Ice Beam, and that isn't enough to call them incomparable

They won't play the same role at all in a team. It's true that Rotom-W is generally better, but Lanturn fits a gap in teams that Rotom-W cannot fit into to.

No, Rotom-W is always better. A team will always be better with W then with Lanturn.

Ice Beam + Thunderbolt is one of the more lethal combinations in the game. It hits nearly half all the types for super effective damage, especially when backed up by Scald or Surf. Lanturn then has the benefit of a pretty decent HP, and an amazing typing too. After that, it has a free spot for a Hidden Power, and in this case, should be backed up with Life Orb or Choice Specs.

You seem to be missing the fact that Lanturn's stats are gabage. Out side of HP the next highest stat it has is a base 76 and that simply isn't worth the trouble of giving it a choice item since it dies so easily if you try playing offense. Plus if you want BoltBeam offense use Starmie, it has better Sp.ATK, SPE, AND a good heal move.

Also, the good typing comment is meaningless since we are comparing it to a pokemon with the same typing. And the "free spot for HP" comment makes it sound like Rotom can't use HP on an offensive spread, something it can do as well.

Rotom-W has the benefits of Pain Split and Will-o-Wisp. But lacks Ice Beam. That sums up Rotom-W.

No it doesn't. It has Levitate first of all meaning it has a ground IMMUNITY and its 1 weakness, Grass, one of the easiest ones to cover in the game. Second, Rotom-W has REALLY good stats. A defensive spread of 50/107/107 not only lets it take a beating, but Pain Split lets it take advantage of the crap base HP. Add on very good Sp.ATK of 105 and decent speed of 86 you have a pokemon that can take hits and hit back very well. Not having Ice Beam doesn't mean anything since it is one of the most common attacking moves.

So, if you want a slower, but more effective tank: Rotom. For a pokemon that is basically a toolbox: Lanturn.

Rotom is a good amount faster. And Lanturn isn't a toolbox it is a basic Water Pokemon that can use some Electric moves. Sure it has a bigger movepool then Rotom, but it has a good enough one that it can easily make up for how shallow it is.

It's not a case of 'who's better'.

Yes it is. When making a team you want the best possible pokemon for it and since Lanturn won't be used for offense, especially in 5th gen, it comes down to who can take hits better, and Rotom easily wins.

And just to be clear, I DO like Lanturn. But Rotom-W is simply better.

Well, obviously Rotom-W is OU and Lanturn is UU.

Mainly because, yes, Starmie does outclass Lanturn most of the time. And mainly because Lanturn's role is redundant because being a weird defensive thing with an offensive movepool is just completely annoying at times. Pretty much why Rotom thrives as the Electric/Water type. They're incomparable still, in my opinion (because they will be used as different things: Rotom as a tank/status inflictor and Lanturn as a bulky sweeper).

Although, I think that the main factor contributing to Lanturn failing so often this generation is that it relies very much on the current metagame. It's more of an anti-meta pokemon, switching into bulky Fire-Types like Ninetales and other bulky waters. Rotom usually can't switch into bulky waters, mainly because they are more defensive than the tank-like Rotom. Lanturn is usually UU as a tier because it hits the majority of the tier better, and because speed is quite slow compared to OU.

I mean, I'd still argue that Lanturn and Rotom are different, but I'll have to go with Rotom is overall better.

I don't give a damn about the teirs anymore. It's gotten as bad as Yugioh's meta. If it aint broken, it sucks ass.

I REALLY hope smogon wises up and bans rain. It is so bad.

Well, obviously Rotom-W is OU and Lanturn is UU.

Mainly because, yes, Starmie does outclass Lanturn most of the time. And mainly because Lanturn's role is redundant because being a weird defensive thing with an offensive movepool is just completely annoying at times. Pretty much why Rotom thrives as the Electric/Water type. They're incomparable still, in my opinion (because they will be used as different things: Rotom as a tank/status inflictor and Lanturn as a bulky sweeper).

Although, I think that the main factor contributing to Lanturn failing so often this generation is that it relies very much on the current metagame. It's more of an anti-meta pokemon, switching into bulky Fire-Types like Ninetales and other bulky waters. Rotom usually can't switch into bulky waters, mainly because they are more defensive than the tank-like Rotom. Lanturn is usually UU as a tier because it hits the majority of the tier better, and because speed is quite slow compared to OU.

I mean, I'd still argue that Lanturn and Rotom are different, but I'll have to go with Rotom is overall better.

Thing is Rotom can still be used for offense. Hydro, T-Bolt, HP (Fire/Ice), and Trick create a very strong move set.

Posted · Hidden by burnpsy, October 3, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by burnpsy, October 3, 2011 - No reason given

I don't exactly see the problem with how Smogon decides things. It's voting by the competent players, just earn a vote yourself if you want to get a say in things.

So Drizzle and Drought avoiding a ban yet again simply means that most of the competent players feels it does not warrant a ban.

And who are we to say otherwise?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived