Official Pokemon Discussion. (The 5th gen starts now)

Flame Dragon

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Recently everyone around me started playing the game again for no real apparent reason, so I jumped on the bandwagon and wiped the dust off my DS.

I think I suck at making good teams (at least, my experience from Yugioh tells me that people who've almost never used the internet to help play a game are always terrible), but YCM is the only forum in the world I can trust, so I want advice.

Right now I have a EV-trained Garchomp, Metagross, Gengar, Tyranniar, Gyarados, and Alakazam. Right now this is my normal team I use against friends when it's 6 V.S. 6, and it wins enough, but I think I can do better. I want some advice on it - what this would be bad against in a match-up against good people, and how to make it better, etc.

Also, if it's 3 V.S. 3, I use the first three listed in my team. I find this best given they don't have a shared weakness, but if there are better options, can anyone tell me?

Thanks.

NOTE-My software is Diamond, but I'm prolly gonna buy either B2 or W2. So feel free to give me advice using Pokemon from Black or White (assuming B and W 2s are remakes). Rep to good advice.

Recently everyone around me started playing the game again for no real apparent reason, so I jumped on the bandwagon and wiped the dust off my DS.

I think I suck at making good teams (at least, my experience from Yugioh tells me that people who've almost never used the internet to help play a game are always terrible), but I figure most Pokemon forums suck even more, so I want advice.

Right now I have a EV-trained Garchomp, Metagross, Gengar, Tyranniar, Gyarados, and Alakazam. Right now this is my normal team I use against friends when it's 6 V.S. 6, and it wins enough, but I think I can do better. I want some advice on it - what this would be bad against in a match-up against good people, and how to make it better, etc.

Also, if it's 3 V.S. 3, I use the first three listed in my team. I find this best given they don't have a shared weakness, but if there are better options, can anyone tell me?

Thanks.

NOTE-My software is Diamond, but I'm prolly gonna buy either B2 or W2. So feel free to give me advice using Pokemon from Black or White (assuming B and W 2s are remakes). Rep to good advice.

Well, it would help if you showed movesets, but it's workable for now.

Garchomp

I assume your Garchomp is a physical sweeper. Something like 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP. Or similar. Moves are basically Outrage; Earthquake, Dragon Claw/Fire Fang, and Stone Edge. It's generally a good sweeper, so I have no complaints on your choice here. Works best in sand though, if you feel like using sand. Choice Scarf, Choice Band or Leftovers as item.

Metagross

Since you have Metagross too, I would suggest using sand with Tyranitar as lead or something (so swap Garchomp with Tyranitar and then swap Garchomp with Gengar). Just because Metagross is best at finishing up games by ripping everything up (providing everything's already kinda injured). Still, it can work as a good standard sweeper. Just normal sweeper EVs with Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Earthquake and something else you want. Stealth Rock's a cool option. Works well with Garchomp as they compliment each other well as sweepers.

Gengar

Gengar is a great special sweeper overall so it's not hard to see why you chose it. I have no complaints here at all because it helps a lot with match-ups. Providing you're using a standard Psychic, Shadow Ball or something moveset.

Tyranitar

Yeah, I like this. Stick this as the first pokémon out and you pretty much win. Normal order is probably Tyranitar, wait till it dies, send out Garchomp, sweep, send out anything you want but Metagross, wait till you're winning and send out Metagross to finish up. Tyranitar is a cool tank, by the way. You should be able to run it any way you like, since it's perfectly capable at a lot.

Gyrados

Should be good as a secondary sweeper. Not many complaints here since you can run it how you like.

Alakazam

eeeeeeh. Well, Gengar already provides a lot of special help here, and Alakazam acts as an inferior Gengar. Replace it with a tank or something. Tangrowth or Jirachi, or Gliscor, are really fun disruptive pokémon to use.

Tangrowth:

Ability: Whatever you like

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 144 Def / 108 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Sleep Powder

- Giga Drain

- Leech Seed

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Something similar to that.

Jirachi:

Ability: Serene Grace

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd