Buster Blader Platoon [AGM, WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

I bring to you the Buster Blader Platoon archetype from page 1 in the "Archetype Game"

The description of the archetype is as follows:

A group of EARTH warriors and beasts who gain stats based on opponent's dragon-types and through their numbers. They have continuous abilities that allows you to Special Summon useless dragon tokens on your opponent's side of the field when certain conditions are met.

So, without further ado, let me introduce the Buster Blader Platoon archetype!

Monsters

Buster Blader Platoon Trooper

EARTH ***

Warrior/Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Eastern Dragon Token" (WIND/level 4/Dragon/1500/1000) to your opponent's side of the field. The token cannot be tributed. This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for every Dragon-type monster your opponent controls. This card gains 100 ATK and DEF for each "Buster Blader" monster you control.

1200/1000

Buster Blader Platoon Companion

EARTH ***

Beast/Effect

If you Normal Summon a "Buster Blader" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your Hand. If a Dragon-type monster is Special Summoned to your opponent's side of the field (except by the effect of "Buster Blader Platoon Companion"), you can Special Summon 1 "Dragon Egg Token" (FIRE/level 1/Dragon/100/100) to your opponent's side of the field in defense position. It cannot change its battle position or switch controllers. "Buster Blader" monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF, except this card.

1400/600

Buster Blader Platoon Supplier

EARTH ***

Warrior/Effect

You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 level 4 or higher "Buster Blader" monster or "Skilled White Magician" from your Hand. All "Buster Blader" monsters gain 100 ATK and DEF for each "Buster Blader" monster you control and for each dragon-type monster your opponent controls. If your opponent adds a card from their Deck to their Hand (except during the Draw Phase), you can Special Summon 1 "Southern Dragon Token" (DARK/level 4/Dragon/1300/1800). It cannot be used for the summon of an Extra Deck monster.

400/1900

Buster Blader Platoon Transport

EARTH ***

Beast/Tuner/Effect

When this card is Summoned, flip a coin. If Heads, Special Summon 1 "Northern Dragon Token" (WATER/level 4/Dragon/0/2400) to your opponent's side of the field in defense position. If Tails, Special Summon 1 "Western Dragon Token" (EARTH/level 4/Dragon/1900/0) to your opponent's side of the field in attack position. You cannot attack the turn you use this effect. All "Buster Blader" monsters gain 500 ATK and DEF except this card.

300/1900

Buster Blader Platoon Champion

EARTH *****

Warrior/Effect

If your opponent controls a Dragon-type monster, you can destroy 1 of them to Special Summon this card from your Hand. This card cannot attack the turn you summon it this way. This card gains 300 ATK for each Dragon-type monster your opponent controls or is in their Graveyard. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can add 1 "Buster Blader" monster or "Skilled White Magician" from your Deck to your Hand.

2100/1800

Spells

Platoon Patrol

Continuous Spell

You can Normal Summon 1 "Buster Blader Platoon" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. You can only gain this effect once per turn.

Dragon Sighted!

Quickplay Spell

If your opponent controls a Dragon-type monster, Special Summon 1 level 3 "Buster Blader Platoon" monster from your Deck. If your opponent controls a Dragon-type monster during the End Phase, destroy the monster Special Summoned by this effect.

Dragonscale Trader

Continuous Spell

If a "Buster Blader" monster or a "Skilled White Magician" destroys a Dragon-type monster by battle, place 1 spell counter on this card. You can remove 2 spell counters from this card to draw 1 card.

Platoon Training Grounds

Field Spell

If you summon a "Buster Blader" or "Skilled White Magician" monster, you can place 1 spell counter on this card. Monsters your opponent controls lose 100 ATK and DEF for each spell counter on this card. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can remove 2 spell counters from this card to change all monsters your opponent controls into Dragon-types.

As Buster Blader is my favorite card, I can vouch for how closely these follow the original monster in concept.

The token summoning effects remind me of Ojama Trio, and these cards are just as, if not more, potent. Restricting your opponent's summoning capabilities is a great tactic, and further powering up the monsters that bog down your opponent through their own effects just makes them that much more potent.

Of course, there are a few flaws with the cards.

As with the Harpie archetype, the cards themselves, outside of their namesake, Buster Blader, aren't very strong initially, and if you can't get enough tokens to your opponent's side of the field to get them the strength they need, they'll go down without much of a fight.

All in all, I like this archetype a lot, and think the goods and bads are balanced out.

Do I think it would be meta?

Probably not. But I'd still run them, if not just because they make my favorite monster actually usable.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Tinkerer. I'm looking forward to more of your works in the future. :)

I had delayed comment because I couldn't figure out exactly what it was I wanted to say.

As a whole, this set looks really, really good- the synergy with each other, plus the myriad of ways you've made Buster Blader easier to Summon, is an indication that you know how to write support.

A lot of the instances of members getting boosts from "Buster Blader Platoon" members could just get a boost from "Buster Blader" himself: it would have been one less word in each card's text, and the archetype doesn't just fizzle out once your boss is on the field.

Champion is really interesting, in that you can pop any Dragon your opponent controls to bring it out.

"Oh, you just Summoned DAD, and I caught you on an Impenetrable Attack? I'll just pop that to bring out my Level 5 monster. Thanks!"

Flavor-wise, I like Dragonscale Trader. However, unless you abuse the Tokens, it's just not going to be worth much.

Thanks you both. I took out the "Platoon" in most of the cards' texts so they're more streamlined. I also added a field spell which fixes probably their biggest weakness, the opponent not having dragons. It could also turn the tide in battle (if they really need it after all their natural boosting).

Archived