YCMCS 4 discussion

So, we have a new banlist, I have a reasonable amount of spare time and there's nothing big getting released in the near future, so I think it's high time for a 4th one of these. The first 3 all seemed to go fairly well (they finished, anyway) and I think it's a good way of getting to know your fellow TCG-ers while attracting some new blood. However, there's a few things I want to discuss about this one. 

Firstly, I'd really like to play in this one. I hosted the first 2 and was away for the 3rd, and I've watched them unfold and really wanted to get involved. There are two possible solutions to this - either we get someone else to host it, or an idea I had which is giving players the ability to change decks between rounds. This would introduce an interesting aspect of guessing what your opponent is going to play and bringing a deck with a good matchup, while also meaning I can both host and play since I don't need to be in charge of decklists (promise I'll be fair when ruling activity wins etc. for games I'm in). If we're doing this, I'd also support allowing every card announced for OCG release at the start of the tournament and just banning Performapal Pendulum Wizard, because if you're going to play an imaginary format it may as well be inclusive, plus it clears up any confusion of what's legal and what's not.

Finally, does anyone have an idea/can come up with some slightly meaningful prizes? idk what, but it is a bit lame to win the YCMCS and end up with nothing. I'm also thinking of creating some sort of leaderboard for YCMCS match/tournament wins, so stay tuned for that. I guess a lot of points would be something of a prize, or if someone were kind enough to make some sort of YCMCS trophy-like thing that would be really awesome. Of course, if anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Please, feel free to share your opinion on any of the things I've addressed here. Also, a confirmation of interest in actually playing in the YCMCS would be cool too, since having a decent number of players is pretty important too.

I'd certainly be interested in playing, though I won't be able to rematch Zauls :'(

As far as prizes go, the only thing that comes to mind is the permanent usergroup thing that was a prize for one of the Halloween things. That's certainly up to staff, but I don't see why not

I'm unsure about changing decks between rounds. While it is interesting, to say the least, I just feel like the structured environment is just... less chaotic.

However, this does grant the ability to implement testing and potential techs immediately, especially based on what you expect. Sure, decks can change between rounds, but you can still make an informed guess based on who they are and what they play.

i do not support banning wizard you funker qq

I kinda wanna wait until we see what the other exclusives in BOSH are, as they can have a major impact on the format, but we don't know when we'll get more news on them, so it's understandable not to wait.

I kinda wanna wait until we see what the other exclusives in BOSH are, as they can have a major impact on the format, but we don't know when we'll get more news on them, so it's understandable not to wait.

The exclusives will just be cards that exist anyway, right? If we really do use full OCG minus Wizard surely this doesn't matter?

see point above that one

That you don't want Wizard banned? Are you implying that what you're waiting for is Wizard to be announced before we start? I guess I see your point but I really don't want to delay it any longer because then who knows what we'll be waiting for once we get all the BOSH imports confirmed. plus I just want Wizard banned anyway

That you don't want Wizard banned? Are you implying that what you're waiting for is Wizard to be announced before we start? I guess I see your point but I really don't want to delay it any longer because then who knows what we'll be waiting for once we get all the BOSH imports confirmed. plus I just want Wizard banned anyway

I support all of the above :)

That's why I said it's completely understandable not to wait. That's how I feel, but not how I expect anyone else to feel.

It feels wrong to start a tournament off with a card completely unusable when every other card that could see hits (Ptolo/CDI, Wisdom-Eye Magician, Apex Avian, etc.) is just left as they are. A limit seems like enough to start with, as it makes the one copy much more valuable and vulnerable, while also decreasing consistency a fair deal.

Also, not a point as much as a reminder, Wing Raiders goes live in 11 days (probably on DN in 13), so eyes should be peeled for any new cards of note that appear there, seeing as Hi Speed Riders gave us PSYFrame. If we do have open decks, that is.

Conquest was developed to go around the lack of sideboards in Hearthstone. Basically, each player comes to the tournament with 3 different decks. Players pick one deck and play game 1. Whoever wins the game gets their deck retired and is now limited to other 2, while the losing player can freely swap. It goes in a best of 5 until one player wins with all 3 of his decks.

Oh, that would be excellent. It certainly removes the need to have changing decks, although I would like peoples' opinions on whether it's still something to look into.

I'd rather stick to non-changing. Both have merits, but I just prefer the more traditional method of things.

I also worry that changing decks would cause a little too much counter picking.

Conquest doesn't really seem to work as well as sideboards, though it would be neat to see implemented here.

I also worry that changing decks would cause a little too much counter picking.

Counter picking to me is one of the main advantages - it adds a whole new level of skill and preparation if you need to have a proper think about what your opponent might play before choosing a deck to do it. I'm not sure how well it actually works in practice, though.

Yeah, that's exactly why I feel Conquest might be fun. It's a bit messier than just sideboards, but allows for other levels of strategy.

EDIT: Also this status brought the idea to me specifically. Sideboarding is a hassle to a lot of people. They either jam in random or inefficent cards, and then don't know what to side out in most matchups. Building 3 maindecks + extra decks is probably gonna be much easier for participants than 1 maindeck + extra deck + side deck.

Not sure if i missed somebody mentioning it yet, but why not just limit the deck switching to two or maybe three decks? You pick two or three decks at the start of the tournament, and once the first round ends, two of the three decks are revealed to everyone ( the one you chose for the first round, and one at random if there's 3). that allows people to play more than one deck that they like and at the same time introduce a small amount of pre-match mindgames.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think we can get this kicked off pretty soon. It looks like sticking to single decks is better, and allowing everything with a confirmed TCG release date (it must be actually confirmed). Rod, if you're still up for hosting you're good to do it anytime. PM me (or Dae, he did it better than me) if there's stuff you need to know.

Archived