[Leaderboard] Striker vs UltimateIRS

Nathanael D. Striker

Rules:

All Leaderboard rules apply.

Cards must be submitted through PM by 1:45pm PST on 1/24
First to 3 votes or most by 1pm PST on 1/26 wins.
If there are no votes after the deadline, next vote wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
The contestants and I have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why we don't accept it.
Contestants have 12 hours after the last vote is cast to refuse any vote within reason.
Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

Create a Trap Monster.

Rewards:
The winner gets a rep from the loser.
All voters get a rep for voting.

Card A

Burning Stone Guardian
Continuous Trap
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Rock-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) While this card is an Effect Monster, it cannot be destroyed by battle except with a WATER monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by a card effect: Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

Card B

1SDa1HA.png?1

Special Summon this card in Attack Position as an Effect Monster (Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 4/ATK 1600/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If an opponent's Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that would target 1 other DARK Spellcaster-Type monster you control: You can change this card to Defense Position; negate that activation, and if you, destroy that card. You can only activate this effect of "Netherworld Commando" once per turn. If this card is destroyed (by battle or by an opponent's card effect): You can add 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Spellcaster-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

I'm going to vote with Card A, due to the fact that, although Card B has more focused use, I really think TrapMons rarely see use in non TrapMon decks, so I'd prefer to use the more generic use. It can be useful temporary protection and can hammer down a quite a bit on your opponent's LP.

Hmm. A is relatively generic in its application, B is Shaddoll or nutin kind of thing, which isn't a fantastic basis given how they've been pushed aside. Shaddolls already have their own trap monster anyway so I don't see why they'd want this, the activation conditions for its limited application effect restrict it only further, and it has no float or anything which Shaddolls all do. I can't see any reason to run this in them, it's just not very good, and it has nothing else for it to go in.

Fucking hell, just realised I completely ignored it does actually have a float effect in the search on destruction. It doesn't change my vote because the usability factor is still there and these contests favour generic usability over archetypal power but that does bring it close. Stupidity on my part to just brush over that.

As for A, which it'd have made more sense to go with first but anyway, it's a weak but still annoying pseudo-wall that burns on destruction or any kind of mill regardless of being summoned or not, which gives it some kind of synergy with general mill decks like LS and Infernoids in an interesting way. Have to vote for it based on the fact that it is relatively worthwhile despite the inherent fragility and slowness of trap monsters simply for that mill to burn effect and because B has no home.

So vote A.

Card A is a nearly indestructible battle wall and burns if the opponent is foolish enough to pop it either face-down or Raigeki/other stuff (or you can trigger it yourself). Nowadays, only worthwhile WATER decks are Mermail/Atlanteans, Nekroz (if they're still relevant after the hits) and some other stuff. There are certainly other WATER decks that are relatively competent now, but going with stuff that's seeing play lately.

So yes, opponent will either have to bounce it with Castel or some other bouncer OR they risk the damage and pop it straight-on.

Card B is pretty much restricted to Shaddolls, Gravekeeper's or Dark Magician.dek for the most part; first one already got messed up with the banlists TCG-wise and other two are iffy. While the search on destruction is nice, it's slow and the lack of usability is further compounded by the limited Decks that can play this.

-----

So yeah, I gotta go with A also for general usability, even though it is a bit generic in terms of application.

B would be good if there were more viable Decks that could use it, but we don't have them at present.

Archived