[Leaderboard] Dragon Sage vs Gadjiltron

Northern Sage

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.

Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

-Cards must be PM'd to me.
-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.
-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:
-The deadline for entries is February 1, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

-The contest ends on February 4, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

Requirement:

Make a monster with an effect that allows it to attach itself to Xyz Monsters as an Xyz Material in some way.

Card A:

o2cLwYI.jpg

When you Special Summon an Xyz Monster: You can target that monster; attach this card from your Graveyard to that monster as an Xyz Material. When this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can destroy 1 card on the field. You can only activate each effect of "Overlay Bomb" once per turn.

Card B:

yjxnObe.jpg

If you do not have any monsters with Levels on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Adhering Automaton" once per turn this way. If an Xyz Monster is Special Summoned, or if an Xyz Material is detached from an Xyz Monster: You can attach this face-up card to that monster as an Xyz Material.

I would say Card A is overpowered, but it only attaches if you Summon, so that's something. And with that, it gets my vote. Why? Well, it attaches from the Graveyard, meaning you can foolish burial it, and it gives a buff on detaching. Why not Card B? Yes, you can SS it if you have no non-Xyz monsters on your field, so not too good for swarms, and it can only attach if it is face-up on the field. Yes, it allows you to Rank 4 with more monsters, but Card A has synergy with 2 mat Ptolemaeus, and to be honest I would rather have a detach buff than just another Level 4 to Xyz with.

So yeah, Card A gets my vote.

Mmmmmm. A I'm reluctant on simply because of the 2-mat Ptolemaeus situation it creates. Only needing 2 4s on the board to go Cydrafinity along with a non-target pop is somewhat excessively powerful to me. However, with Chain banned and Foolish at 1, getting it into the grave is not remotely as easy as with 3-Chain scenarios so that's a more conditional potential power-play than what would have been a consistently powerful thing.

But then there's the float, and it's the kind of float I hate, in that it's essentially a stronger Hand. A stronger Derricrane, but for rank 4s, is not the kind of thing I want to exist, especially one that recurs itself. I think it misses timing for being detached but I'm not entirely sure because I've never totally understood that concept. My uncertainty renders this point fairly moot but wanted to include it just to show thinking process.

If anything this makes 101 a more legit thing again because it becomes double use if they can't get rid of it, and leaves it with 3 lives in any case after absorbing. Well really anything getting to extra mats. 3-mat Rafflesia would be a thing to do.

That just got to rambling, onto B.

Automaton is interesting. The summon condition is an annoying one, but one that should really be circumvented by any deck making rank 4s in that you're unlikely to have left the monsters intended as materials out alone, so you ought to be able to drop it easily. Replenishing materials is a nice gimmick, and then it has a weaker version of A's on-summon attach.

While the free drop is a nice thing, rank 4 decks don't exactly face problems in getting 2 monsters on the board so apart from opening up slightly more in the way of combos it's not really a reason to run it when things like Kagetokage exist generically. Having to attach from the field is a huge weakness, and that's really what swings it for me. If it kept its self-summon thing, and attached on summon from the grave as A does, I'd vote for this likely because I prefer the concept and it helps more in being an actual facilitator to making the Xyz plays in the first place whereas A only serves as a boost.

In the end though, there are things that already do a similar job to Automaton, whereas, generically at least, nothing like Bomb exists that I'm aware of. So vote A.

Card A blows up something when it goes to the Graveyard and adds another Xyz Material to whatever Xyz you plan on summoning (assuming it's in the Graveyard). One thing that is concerning is, of course, Ptolemaeus (since the detach thing exists + it becomes a mat on whatever you SS with it [usually CDI or something]). That, and the potential abuse with Decks that can Rank 4 like crazy + build off another mat for their needs. However, putting those aside, it does have synergy with said Decks that Xyz quickly (and might give help to some of those that need it). 

Card B is helpful for making R4s + adding more mats, but it requires that you have only Xyz on the field (or face-down monsters) and must be there when you make an Xyz or detach. At least you can still "recycle" the mats that you detach, but overall it is slower to work with (since it must be out on the field to do anything). 

----

So yeah, I'm voting for A also.

Well, Dragon Sage doesn't seem to have any issues at this point so appears this is finished.

Make sure one of you reports the result in the official thread, and deals with any voter reps that have not yet been given.

(If that 12-hour delay between votes applies in regular tournaments, Striker had better edit the rule thread to say it; though it has been almost a day since the votes were accepted)

Archived