[Leaderboard] - Rainbow Quasar vs Yuuji Kazami (Closed)

Abdelrahman

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply

-First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.

-All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.

-Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Card C votes are allowed in case the voter thinks both cards don't deserve a vote but must elaborate on why he/she thinks so.

-Cards must be PM'd to me, preferably written.

-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity

-In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

-The deadline for entries is September 14, 12:00 AM, GMT+2

-The contest ends on September 18, 12:00 AM, GMT+2

-In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.

-All voters get a rep for voting

Requirements:

Challenger's choice

Entries:

[spoiler=Card A]Stardust Dimension Dragon

LIGHT / Level 8

Dragon/Synchro/Effect

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can banish 1 Tuner monster from your hand, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish it. During either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated: You can banish this card; negate the activation, and if you do, banish it. During the end of this turn, if this effect was activated: Special Summon this banished card, but its effects are negated.

2500/2000

[spoiler=Card B]Dragon Paladin Ddraig

Level 8 / FIRE

Dragon/Synchro/Pendulum/Effect

Pendulum Scale = 8

Pendulum Effect:

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster on the field; increase its ATK by 600, until the End Phase.

Monster Effect:

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card battles a monster Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, increase this card's ATK by 600 during damage calculation only. As long as this card remains face-up on the field, halve all damage you take. When this card in the Monster Zone is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone.

2500/2000

Let's talk about Card A's base effect first. Stardust normally negates a destruction, basically once per turn, and has staying power. This, on the other hand, does a Treatoad, once and only once, but still comes back. I honestly don't like it for that, as Treatoad and Cydrafinity don't have to kill themselves in order to make that effect work. Yes, this card is easier to bring out, but I honestly wouldn't want to waste my resources on something like that. I would probably rather bring out Void Ogre, as that has a 3k/3k body and OPT Spell/Trap negation (emptying your hand isn't hard). Yes, again, Void Ogre has its own restrictions, but I would put it at a similar power level to this card. And everyone runs Omega over it, so...yeah. I'd put this card at okay with that, but then we have the banish a tuner to banish a monster. Targets and one use only, so nothing special, but it does help a little.

Card B is just...weak. 600 ATK only if it battles a Special Summoned monster? And only from the Extra Deck? Rip it against Kozmos and the like. Halving battle damage is okay, I guess, but considering its not the best beatstick, you just have to plough over it and that small debuff is gone. If you even consider it a threat. The Pendulum Zone effect is...okay? I guess? The ATK gain is only useful if there's a small power gap between you and your opponent. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of 600 ATK, but I feel there's a wide margin for it go. If it had been 1000 for both, it would probably have been useful. Remember, all useful Rank 8s have staying or dodging power. This becomes a Scale 8, true, but it's Level 8, meaning you can't get it back.

Card A is really useful one time, and Card B is not so useful all the time. I'd have to go with A, barely, as the banishing on Summon overruns many Graveyard oriented decks, especially as it also banishes for its negation.

Let's talk about Card A's base effect first. Stardust normally negates a destruction, basically once per turn, and has staying power. This, on the other hand, does a Treatoad, once and only once, but still comes back. I honestly don't like it for that, as Treatoad and Cydrafinity don't have to kill themselves in order to make that effect work. Yes, this card is easier to bring out, but I honestly wouldn't want to waste my resources on something like that. I would probably rather bring out Void Ogre, as that has a 3k/3k body and OPT Spell/Trap negation (emptying your hand isn't hard). Yes, again, Void Ogre has its own restrictions, but I would put it at a similar power level to this card. And everyone runs Omega over it, so...yeah. I'd put this card at okay with that, but then we have the banish a tuner to banish a monster. Targets and one use only, so nothing special, but it does help a little.

Card B is just...weak. 600 ATK only if it battles a Special Summoned monster? And only from the Extra Deck? Rip it against Kozmos and the like. Halving battle damage is okay, I guess, but considering its not the best beatstick, you just have to plough over it and that small debuff is gone. If you even consider it a threat. The Pendulum Zone effect is...okay? I guess? The ATK gain is only useful if there's a small power gap between you and your opponent. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of 600 ATK, but I feel there's a wide margin for it go. If it had been 1000 for both, it would probably have been useful. Remember, all useful Rank 8s have staying or dodging power. This becomes a Scale 8, true, but it's Level 8, meaning you can't get it back.

Card A is really useful one time, and Card B is not so useful all the time. I'd have to go with A, barely, as the banishing on Summon overruns many Graveyard oriented decks, especially as it also banishes for its negation.

Erm... I'm really confused for a few points.

All useful Rank 8's would be considering the cards like Galaxy Eyes, but those have 4000 minimum as R8's. Only Titanic has 3000. Not sure how 3500 ATK is going to affect either, since 3100 is enough to get rid of titanic but not Galaxy-Eyes? But regardless, back to some points I wish to point out.

A generic Synchro Pendulum Monster being stronger than it already is? 3100 is enough to pretty much run over any monster with 3000 ATK, and this is including cards like Blue-Eyes Synchros. Not only that, it does have a float effect that turns itself into a Pendulum Scale. You were suggesting giving it 3500 ATK boosted with a +1000 boost with the PE. That's pretty broken already.

Not only that, it halves all damage, not just battle damage. Plus, this is a generic Synchro 8 we're talking about. There's a lot of stuff that you can't go too far with it or it'd be broken, as I had pointed above.

For the point about against Kozmos and the like with the 600: Don't forget Performapal Silver Fang with PePe. Remember how the measly Lizarddraws could suddenly turn into beatsticks with Pend Sorcerer? The same idea is with this card, because its effect can stack up fast. It's meant as a support card for the rest of your monsters that gets Summoned even if it does get popped.

So 600 ATK for a generic Synchro 8 monster seems balanced, and a partial float effect to boot that can be reused from what I see. B is a removal for most Extra Deck boss monsters, while not going over the edge.

Not sure if this is still considered "Not so useful all the time". B is the first Synchro Pend without requiring any specific materials for its Synchro Summon, if you haven't realized yet. 

A generic Synchro Pendulum Monster being stronger than it already is? 3100 is enough to pretty much run over any monster with 3000 ATK, and this is including cards like Blue-Eyes Synchros. Not only that, it does have a float effect that turns itself into a Pendulum Scale. You were suggesting giving it 3500 ATK boosted with a +1000 boost with the PE. That's pretty broken already.

Being Pendulum doesn't make the card automatically better. I don't see what you mean by "broken" as it literally does nothing in terms of staying power It's not like you can actually Pend Summon it. However, I do admit that I underestimated the Pend effect, so that can be left as is.

Not only that, it halves all damage, not just battle damage. Plus, this is a generic Synchro 8 we're talking about. There's a lot of stuff that you can't go too far with it or it'd be broken, as I had pointed above.

Yes. Effect Damage. Relevant in today's meta.

For the point about against Kozmos and the like with the 600: Don't forget Performapal Silver Fang with PePe. Remember how the measly Lizarddraws could suddenly turn into beatsticks with Pend Sorcerer? The same idea is with this card, because its effect can stack up fast. It's meant as a support card for the rest of your monsters that gets Summoned even if it does get popped.

Stack? What? I mean, the most you can get is 1 of it in the Pend Zone, 2 if it's not a Pendulum Deck, I don't see how Sorcerer is a good comparison, as that card is good without the ATK boost, and the ATK boost is 1000 to all of your monsters, not just to 1. However, either player's turn is a thing.

So 600 ATK for a generic Synchro 8 monster seems balanced, and a partial float effect to boot that can be reused from what I see. B is a removal for most Extra Deck boss monsters, while not going over the edge.

600 ATK for a monster effect that halves damage with a float effect? Eh, still not seeing it. Removal for most ED monsters? Erm, it can beat over a few, but most have outs.

Not sure if this is still considered "Not so useful all the time". B is the first Synchro Pend without requiring any specific materials for its Synchro Summon, if you haven't realized yet. 

I will say again: Pend =/= Better. I am aware of that, and I also believe its the Second synchro Pend ever (correct me if I'm wrong). In order to "balance" the Pend Effect, you gave it a bad monster effect.

I stick by my vote.

Might as well vote...

Card A's basically a general negation version of Stardust, as opposed to blocking destruction effects, and it removes an opposing monster when summoned (assuming you have a Tuner to banish). While being a one-time negation isn't as bad as something like CDI or whatever has OPT on it, I do feel that this card could've been designed differently, as opposed to a "clone" of Stardust. At least it bypasses stuff like Stardust and a lot of the common Graveyard triggers, so there's that. I suppose you could also SS it off Spirit Dragon, but for what reason?

-----

Card B at least gets the ability to run over most Extra Deck monsters, taking into consideration the amount of ED spam seeing play nowadays (pretty much every relevant Deck, except probably Kozmo), which is nice. Sure, it won't be able to run over stuff like Magnus, Train Xyzs, Cipher Blade / FA Photon, Monarchs or whatever has minimal use of the ED, but it does what it needs to do. The halving damage thing is fine, I guess (bulk of the damage you take is probably battle-related anyway; unless you decide to use this in something like D/D to minimize Contract burn [do they want to run this over Siegfried for that reason or even have to worry about recoil now?] or fight Chain Burn (when was this relevant again?), among other things.

Its Pendulum effect is nice enough to help you push over bigger monsters, so that helps for the most part (not counting certain Decks that can generate much bigger bosses). Regarding its Scale, yeah it has the same issue as Trumpanda (Scale = Level), so unless you use something like Pendulum Shift to change your Scale to 9-10, this isn't getting P-Summoned anytime soon. Until we get a generic Scale 9 or higher, this isn't going to be P-Summoned much anytime soon [but at least this HAS a chance of being summoned more consistently than Nirvana; in his case, you'd have to find a way to boost your Scale to 11 (only way I can think of Pendulum Shift to 10 on Trumpanda, then P-effect)]. However, it is still a generic Synchro Pendulum that can do things, so that counts, I guess.

You already know this by now, but we currently don't have any generic Scales above 8, unless you count the runner-up World Championship cards at S10. Yeah, there is Pendulum Shift, but you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth running that card just to P-Summon this.

----

Card A: Banishes something on summon w/discard, one-time banishing negation. 

Card B: Small power bonus against most bosses, halves all forms of damage (battle, burn from either your own stuff or the opponent) and a stronger Forbidden Lance that doesn't negate your effects. Difficult to P-Summon in most cases. 

-----

For now, voting A because of better usage given what currently exists, and banishing a threat is nice.

I applaud B for being a generic Synchro Pendulum, but I wasn't as convinced on it (stat boosters are fine, but halving damage is iffy; blocking battle damage is okay, but not so much with burn). 

Generic vote.

Card A is basically Stardust Dragon with LIGHT attribute and a different effect, at least I imagine it as such. The first effect is spot removal for a discard, but requires you to have a tuner in the hand, which wouldn't have to be the case as classic 1for1 is fine for banishing nowadays, a generic discard would have been more appropriate imo. (Especially since the original Stardust Dragon is 100% generic!) The second effect seems okay as well, it's only activatable once since it negates itself afterwards, but that's just fine given how hard it would be to get rid of otherwise. I really like the card overall, and I think it has a niche over Omega and Void Ogre (which were mentioned by other voters) because it couples spot removal (that targets, but still it banishes) with a solid defensive effect, whereas the other 2 don't have that luxury. (Not saying it is the better card, just saying it has a niche)

Overall I really like it, and I appreciate how balanced it is, despite the cost of the first effect being a little much.

Card B is a Pendulum Synchro that does... not much to be honest. You get a little attack boost, take a little less damage, and that's all for the monster effect? It doesn't plus you, doesn't destroy anything, doesn't harm the opponent, doesn't help you with anything whatsoever. The Pendulum effect boosts a monster by 600 during either players turn, which is nice, but since when does ATK matter anymore? I don't think this card has a place in any Extra Deck nowadays, it doesn't do anything except some pointless ATK boosts, and some even more pointless damage mitigation. As seen by cards like "A Hero Lives", advantage is worth more than Life Points, and by the low amount of beaters generally compared to almost every deck's reliance on monster effects, you can clearly see that effects are on the dominant side here aswell. It's just inferior to so so many Level 8 Synchros.

Voting for Card A

Archived