The Tournaments of Prestige

darkguy00000

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter.... What are we up to now?:

The Dark Armies...

Robert stalked through the street, angered at losing to just a mere rookie.

"Damn punk," he cursed. "He just lucked out..."

"You keep telling yourself that, pops," said a rough, harsh voice behind him. Robert knew that voice.

His eyes narrowed as he turned around. "William, you slimy..."

William laughed. "I hear YOU got schooled by a total novice," he said coolly, yet still sounding as if he had sandpapered the inside of his throat.

Roberts' face contorted into a mask of rage, but somehow he restrained himself from screaming at the teenager in front of him, instead opting for a cool and calm approach.

"At least I wasn't defeated by that fool Zaxla Longafrei," he retorted, knowing exactly how this would affect William.

William had gone red. "Thats' it, old man!" he cried, pride wounded.

"What you gunna do?" leered Robert.

"I'll show YOU," retorted William, lifting his custom duel disk: it was painted black, and each card zone was a good deal wider than an average disk.

"Hah," sneered Robert, playing on the arrogance of his one-time friend. "You aren't worth my time."

"Fine," retorted William. "I'll put up a wager. You win, you get my deck."

Robert turned and laughed, while secretly thrilled: he knew how much a whole deck was worth nowadays, and he was sure William would pay a LOT to get it back...

"Whats' in it for you?" asked Robert, eyes narrowed. Nobody gambled their entire deck in one duel.

"The pride in destroying you," replied William coarsely.

"Nothing else?" asked Robert incredulously.

"No," said William, drawing his deck and slotting it into his custom disk with a smug, sly grin on his face.

"You're on!" cried Robert, barely containing his excitement.

"DUEL!" they cried in unison.

Robert: 4000

William: 4000

"I'll begin," said Robert. "And I'll start with Subtratius, the Mathematical Warrior!" (1200/1000) "And his effect means-"

"You draw a card," replied William, acting bored. "I know."

"You should respect your elders, BOY," spat Robert, drawing his extra card. "I'll set three cards face-down and end my turn."

"Good," replied William, drawing a card off his deck. "I'll begin with the summon of my Brron, Mad King of Dark World! (1800/500)"

Robert goggled. He'd never seen THIS deck before!

"I know," said William hoarsely, reading the surprise in Roberts' eyes. "After my... grr... defeat at the hands of that pathetic loser Zaxla, I made a NEW deck. A new, better, undefeatable deck!"

"Grr..." muttered Robert.

"Go, my Brron!" cried William. "Destroy that pathetic 'warrior'!"

Robert flinched slightly as his life points fell down to 3400. "Hah!" he laughed. "Now you have to select and discard 1 card from your hand to the graveyard!"

"Why..." said William, wearing a dark smile, "thank you. I'll discard my Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World! And when he's discarded from my hand, he's summoned to the field!"

Robert gulped, as he stared down the behemoth 2300 ATK monster.

"And now my Brron's effect kicks in," continued William. "When he deals damage to you, I get to discard a card from my hand... So I'll discard my Sillva, Warlord of Dark World! And, due to HIS effect, HE'S summoned to field AS WELL!" (Sillva: 2300/1400)

"And!" continued William wrathfully, "since Goldd was discarded by YOUR card effect, I get to destroy two of your cards! So I'll take the left and the right face-downs..."

Robert looked on in horror as his two cards were clean wiped off the field.

"Go, Goldd!" cried William. "Attack him directly!"

Robert looked on it amazement as Goldd struck him down with a huge blast of dark energy. (Robert: 1100)

William laughed evilly as Robert stumbled back onto his feet. "Now, Sillva!" he roared. "Finish the loser off!"

"I discard by Binarius, the Mathematical Sentinel!" cried Robert fearfully, as a barrier of 1's and 0's surrounded him, neutralizing Sillva's strike.

"What is this!?" cried William. "You should have lost, old man!"

"My Binarius' effect means that when he is discarded from my hand, one of your monsters do no damage to me," panted Robert heavily. Although Sillva's deathblow had been parried, Goldd's strike had still knocked the wind out of him.

"I end my turn," sulked William.

"Which means its' my turn!" cried Robert. "I'll start by activating this! My Simple Addition spell card! Now I discard 1 Mathematical monster," he explained, taking a monster and placing it in his graveyard, "and then I draw three new cards."

William looked on, smug smirk firmly embedded in his face. "What will THAT achieve?"

"Maybe nothing," admitted Robert. "But now, I'll activate my Left Hand Side = Right Hand Side spell card! Now, we change control of every card in our hands."

William grudgingly handed over his hand, and Robert delightfully exchanged his hand.

"This hand is horrible!" cried William.

"I know," laughed Robert. "Now, guess what? I'll set a monster, face-down, and a face-down card. And now, due to my Simple Addition spell, I must discard a card, so I'll be ditching this! Kahkki, Guerilla of Dark World! So now, I get to wipe a monster of yours... like your Goldd!"

"Grr..." growled William as his monster was shattered into thousands of pixels.

"That'll do me," smiled Robert.

"You will pay!" cried William furiously, looking in despair at the horrible hand that Robert had traded him.

"I don't think so," smirked Robert.

"Grr..." roared William. "Go, Sillva! Wipe out that face-down monster!"

Robert shielded his eyes as his Scarr, Scout of Dark World was obliterated.

"Now!" cried William. "My Brron! Finish him off!"

"I activate this!" cried Robert. "Decimall, the Mathematical Headquaters! Now, when you attack directly, the damage is halved!"

William merely smiled. "You still lose 900."

"Argh!" cried Robert, writhing as Brron's attack sliced through him. (Robert: 200)

"And you remember his effect?" continued William darkly. "I'll discard the card I just drew, Gren, Tactician of Dark World. And when he's sent to the grave via card effects, I get to destroy a spell or trap... so get rid of that pathetic Decimall trap!"

Robert gulped as his only card was wiped clean off the field by a shot of dark lightning.

"No challenge at all," he sneered.

"But its' my turn," said Robert, gasping for air. "So, I'll activate this... Mathematical Probability... now, I discard cards from my hand to the grave... then I draw the same amount..."

William looked on in horror as Robert grimly placed Beiige, Vanguard of Dark World and Broww, Huntsman of Dark World in the graveyard.

"But that..." he muttered wildly.

"Indeed," smirked Robert. "Beiige's effect means hes' summoned to my field... so I'll put him in defense mode... (Beiige: 1300 DEF)"

"And Broww..."

"Broww's effect allows me to draw an extra card," said Robert. "So I'll draw three, including the two from Mathematical Probability... And now I'll tribute my Beiige for THIS! Geometrix, the Mathematical Master!" (2200/1000)

"Pity he's just short of defeating Sillva," replied William.

"Maybe," replied Robert, holding his gaze. It had the same disconcerting effect of looking into a mirror and seeing nothing there.

Robert looked away hurriedly. "I'll activate my field spell, Mathematical Amplifier! Now all my Mathematical monsters gain 200 ATK and DEF for every blank monster zone on my field! That's four empty zones, for a 800 point boost!"

William looked on in horror as Geometrix swelled as he gained 800 ATK points. (Geometrix: 3000/1800)

"Now go!" cried Robert wrathfully. "Destroy that Brron!"

William looked on, steadfast, as his Brron was destroyed. (William: 2800).

"I end my turn," concluded Robert.

"I activate this!" cried William furiously, after snatching the card off his deck. "Dark World Bribe! Now, whenever I discard a card from my hand, I draw a card to replace it!"

Robert gulped. William sniggered.

"I activate this!" cried William. "Dark World Dealings! So now we both draw 1 card... then discard 1 card!"

Robert looked on, eyes hazy, as he struggled to draw his card. He looked downheartedly at his hand and placed a monster in his graveyard. Willaim, meanwhile, was delighted.

"I discard this!" he cried malevolently. "Its' my Marron, Shaman of Dark World! And when he's discarded, I get to place another Dark World from my grave to my hand! And due to my Dark World Bribe, I'll draw another card!"

William surveyed his hand. "I'll set a card face-down and end," he said, coughing violently.

Can Robert pull back against the armies of the Dark World? Will Williams' warlike wicked Dark-World warriors weaken Robert wrathfully? Can somebody say that FIVE TIMES FASTER? Tune in next time, to find out, here on Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Tournaments of Prestige!

Yeah.

I hope that Dark World thing didn't come off as a copy of your fanfic, I know that plaguerism, although I can't spell it correctly, is wrong.

It sounds kinda weird but I actually have a little notebook that contains everything about my fanfic. Decks, characters, bios, random sketches of people, places, duel disks, monsters; effects of created cards, random combos, decklists...

I actually have EVERYTHING for the next twenty-six episodes totally planned. It's just not written out.... that's the hard part XD.

And I just couldn't have an episode where one player didn't use a created card, so everyone congratulate Marron, Shaman of Dark World!

For some unknown reason your fanfic, whenever I read it, makes me feel like I'm reading the script for an anime. An anime I wanna see real bad. It must just be something about how you write it.

My episodes are written in a rough anime format, with every three posts equalling (roughly) a 20-min episode (ad breaks somewhere in the middle...)

And thanks, your fanfic is awesome too...

Chapter Whatever-it-is Part II

Robert is squandering at 200 Life Points, but currently his Geometrix, the Mathematical Warrior is a good deal stronger than anything William can dole out with some assistance from his Mathematical Amplifier field spell. William, meanwhile, is set to score some huge card advantage with his Dark World Bribe spell, plus he has a large lead in Life Points.

"Which means it is MY turn!" cried Robert. "And I'll activate this! Mathematical Formula!"

"I counter the activation of your spell card!" cried William malevolently. "It's my Dark Deal! Now, tremble! Your card effect changes to allow me to discard a random card from my hand..."

"But you only have two," protested Robert.

"Exactly," sneered William. "Which one?"

"Left," said Robert nervously.

"Hah!" You picked the left, so I discard THIS! Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World!"

Willaim laughed horribly as Reign-Beaux appeared in front of him. (Reign-Beaux: 2500 ATK)

"And when he's discarded from my hand by YOUR card effect, I get to destroy either all your spells and traps, or all your monsters!" he roared. "So your pitiful little Geomitrix is wasted!"

"Grr..." growled Robert. "A good duelist has a backup plan..." he muttered. "I'll set a card in defense, a card face-down, and that'll end my turn."

"That means it's time for your demise!" roared William. "So, I'll begin with this! My Graceful Charity! So I'll draw three cards," he smirked as he pulled three cards off his deck, "and then, I'll place two in the graveyard." He raised his hand to reveal Blau, Champion of Dark World, and Raed, Prophet of Dark World, and then he put them in the graveyard.

"Blau's effect means I get to raise the attack points of one of my Dark World monsters by 1000 until the end of my turn!" he cried, as Reign-Beaux swelled further to 3500 attack. "And finally, Raed, Prophet of Dark World, allows me to add 1 card from my deck to my hand, as long as its' a Dark World monster of level 4 or lower..."

He fanned out his deck, poker-style, and plucked out Orrang, Peasant of Dark World.

"Now go!" he cried darkly. "Go, Reign-Beaux! Destroy his defense!"

"Urgh..." muttered Robert quesily as his monster was wiped off the field.

"Now Sillva!" declared William. "Finish him off, once and for all!"

Robert looked on wearily as he activated his trap. "Its' my Mathematical Guard trap," he said slowly. "And by removing a monster in my graveyard from play, I can negate your effect. Robert fished around his grave, plucked out Binarius, and tucked it into his shirt pocket.

"Grr..." growled William threateningly. "I end my turn."

"I really need a good draw here..." mumbled Robert.

"What was that, old man?" demanded William.

"Nothing, nothing," replied Robert innocently, staring intently at his drawn card. "I'm afraid I can't do much... I'll set a card face-down and end my turn."

"You old fool," sneered William. "After I've defeated you, I'll be taking your deck..."

"What?!" cried Robert. "You said... you..."

William laughed malevolently. "You believed me? I'll destroy you this turn!" He drew his card. "Go, Reign-Beaux! End this duel!"

"I activate this!" cried Robert. "Mathematical Equality! Now, if you have more monsters on the field than me, you've got a choice. You can destroy monsters on your side of the field until you have as many as me, or you can allow me to summon a monster from my hand."

William growled. "Summon your pathetic monster," he sneered.

"Fine by me!" retorted Robert, eyes lighting up. "Say hello... to Trignominciar, the Mathematical Warmaster!" (2400/2000)

"Reign-Beaux will destroy him!" roared William.

"Not quite," said Robert, quiet smirk on his face. "Trignominciars' first effect allows me to draw two cards from my deck." William looked on as Robert pulled two more cards off his deck.

"That was pointless," sneered William. "Reign-Beaux!"

"You'd best reconsider," replied Robert, as Trignominciar's attack and defense points swelled to 3200/2800.

"WHAT?!" cried William furiously.

"My Mathematical Amplifier!" retorted Robert, holding Williams' dark gaze: it was full of anger and hate... and his somehow intrinsically evil stare seemed to pierce him.

"Grr..." growled William. "One face-down ends my turn."

"Finally!" cried Robert. "Go, Trignominciar! Wipe out his Sillva!"

"I activate this!" cried William. "Bark of Dark Ruler! Now... I pay Life Points, and your monster loses just as many attack points... so, I pay eleven hundred, so now... your Geometrix's attack means you lose the duel."

Sillva charged forwards in the middle of Trignominciar's attack, spearing him with a lancing bolt of dark power, making Roberts' mathematical soldier implode in a huge explosion.

"Guess your deck is mine," said William smugly.

"I would not be so sure," retorted Robert, coughing violently.

"This cannot be!" cried William, wide-eyed, as Robert had a spell and a monster card shielding him from the attack.

"Perhaps you know the effect of my Binarius, the Mathematical Sentinel?" asked Robert.

"Wait a second..." muttered William. "You already used that card! You didn't get it back in your hand!"

"That is where you are incorrect," replied Robert, panting slightly. "My Recursion quickplay spell card allows me to add a Mathematical Warrior from my grave to my hand. So I just retossed Binarius... and your attack damage is gone."

"But your monster is still destroyed!" cried William in glee.

"Grr..." muttered Robert. He was right, he thought.

"I'll summon Tangent, the Mathematical Hunter, in attack position, and then set a card to end my turn," sighed Robert. He had no idea what would happen by next turn...

"Excellent!" cried William, roughly pulling a card from his dark disk.

"And now I activate this! CARD DESTRUCTION!" he roared. "Now we discard our ENTIRE hand! And then, we redraw the same number of cards!"

"Psh," sneered Robert, placing his worthless cards in the graveyard and picking up a few more. "You don't scare me. You've nothing to help you..."

"You thought Reign-Beaux was my most powerful..." sneered William. "You're incorrect! Due to my Card Destruction, I discard Yelao, Wise Sage of Dark World, and THIS! My greatest card of all! SPECTRAM, WICKED GOD OF DARK WORLD! (3600/2400)"

Robert shook as the behemoth dark monster, dwarfing even Reign-Beaux.

"This... is not good..." he muttered.

Yes, sorry, its' short. I've been swamped in real life lately and I've really not had much time for anything...

Cont.

Robert: 200

William: 1700

"Now, my Spectrams' effect means that if he's summoned by my own card effect, I lose 1000 Life Points...." grunted William, as his Life Points fell to 700.

"Urgh..." groaned Robert, his lack of Life Points starting to take its' toll. William laughed haltingly.

"You... fool," he panted. "Now, my Yelao, Sage of Dark World means that I gain 1000 Life Points... So I'm right back where I started. And remember, my Dark World Bribe allows me to draw two more cards!" (William: 1700)

"NOW!" he roared. "SPECTRAM! WIN THIS DUEL!"

"You are the fool," retorted Robert. "Go, trap! Its' known as Logical Fallacy. Now, instead of your attack hitting ME, at the cost of half my points, I'll redirect your attack back at your Reign-Beaux!"

"No!" cried William furiously as his attack was reflected back at his own monster. He shielded his eyes... and his Life Points dropped to a mere 600.

"You're lucky you had that Sage," panted Robert.

"You... son... of..." panted William darkly.

"You watch your tongue!" cried Robert, drawing another card off his deck. "And now... you will fall to me! I activate this! My Mathematical Equation spell! Now, guess what? I can tribute my Tangent, the Mathematical Hunter, and my Additius, the Mathematical Warrior in my hand... to bring forth this! Summatria, the God of Mathematics!" (2400/1200)

William guffawed. "You idiot!" he cried. "You WANT to lose?"

"Not really," replied Robert meekly. "But, due to my Summatria's effect, I DO get to draw five cards from my deck..." Robert coolly and calmly drew five more cards off his deck, while William looked on thunderously.

"The cards won't help," he said.

"I'll bet they will," retorted Robert. "Now, do you remember my Mathematical Amplifier spell? Since I have no other monsters on my field, Summatria's attack points swell up to 3200!"

"For someone so "good" at maths," sneered William, "you can't count. My Spectram has far more attack points!"

"Not for long," retorted Robert. "I activate this! My Skipping the Working Out spell! Now, at the cost of half my points, (Robert: 100) I can summon a monster from my grave to my field! So, come forth, Tangent, the Mathematical Hunter! (1200/800)"

"You fool!" laughed William mockingly. "Since you have another monster on your field, your Summatria loses 200 attack!"

"Yes!" retorted Robert. "But my Hunter gains six hundred attack points!" (Summatria, God of Mathematics: 3000 ATK)(Tangent, the Mathematical Hunter: 1800 ATK)

"Your monsters cannot even stand up to my Spectram!" cried William.

"Whatever," shrugged Robert. "I'll be setting a pair of face-downs and that will end my turn."

Hmm... pondered William. The old fool must think his traps will protect him. Well, he is most definitely wrong! "Draw!" cried Willaim, with a voice that radiated hatred. "Now, the effect of my Spectram activates. I must pay half my points to keep him in play..." William groaned as his Life Points dropped to 300.

"How's it feel?" goaded Robert, attempting to break Williams' spirit.

"You only have one hundred left yourself, old man!" cried William. "And now I activate this! Dark World Lightning!"

"What does that do?" asked Robert.

"I can destroy a face-down card... and then I discard 1 card from my hand!" cried William in dark glee. "So, I'll discard my Orrang, Peasant of Dark World, and then I will destroy your left face-down!"

"You've triggered my trap!" cried Robert. "Its' called Tangent's Target! And now I get to place two 'Tangent Target' counters on your monster!"

"Thats' all?!" cried William incredulously. "Remember, due to my Dark World Bribe, I draw an extra card. Secondly, though, my Orrang's effect means I get to add another of him from my deck to my hand." William pulled his deck from his dark dueldisk, fanned his deck out, and plucked out another Orrang, Peasant of Dark World. He shuffled his deck with a smug grin on his face.

"You have totally lost," he sneered, sliding his deck back into the slot. "And I'll prove it. Go, Spectram! Win this duel! Attack his Tangent!"

"I'm afraid I can't allow this," replied Robert conversationally. "I activate my trap, Decree of the Mathematical Gods! And now, if Summatria's on my field, your monsters can only attack him!"

"So what?" sneered William. "You've still lost. Can't you do that sum? 3600 is six-hundred points more than 3000."

"I know," replied Robert. "But you don't know the effect of 'Tangent Target' counters. See, when your monster battles a Mathematical monster, your monster loses 300 attack points for each token!"

"But..." stuttered William.

"The battles' a tie!" cried Robert triumphantly, as both monsters were obliterated.

"No..." muttered William, sinking to his knees, the dark strain of his voice lifted. He sounded like a scared, lost teenager...

"William," muttered Robert, reaching out his hand to help the youth up.

"NO!" roared William, his furious edge to his voice returning. "You... you..."

"William..." sighed Robert, shaking his head sadly.

"This duel..." said William, his dark voice momentarily replaced by his 'other' voice, "IS STILL ON! I set one card face-down and end my turn!"

"William, I'm not going to fight you," declared Robert, trying to comfort William.

"You WILL!" roared William in ineffectual fury. "YOU WILL DUEL!

"William!" retorted Robert sharply. "You need help!"

"I need no help!" cried William. "You are the one who will need help when I have defeated you! MAKE YOUR MOVE!"

"If you insist..." muttered Robert, drawing his card. "It's come to me! The only way I can free your rage is by defeating you!"

"Good luck with that!" sneered William.

"I don't need luck," replied Robert. Well, he thought. If defeating him is the only way I can break through to him, then I've no choice. "Go, Tangent! Attack him directly!"

"I activate my trap!" cried William. "Dark World Revival!"

"And...?" asked Robert.

"Well, I get a Dark World monster back from my grave!" cried William. "So, resurrect! Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World!"

"Uh..." said Robert, scratching his head. "Why not Sprectram?"

"He would have cost me a thousand points to summon," sneered William. "Do you forget so easily, old fool?"

"Guess so," muttered Robert. "I'll set two cards face-down. That will finish my turn."

"I draw!" cried William, staring at his hand. This... fool is somehow stopping me! he raged inside his own mind. I will teach him about what befalls those who dare stand against me...

"This will be the last turn!" roared William. "I activate my spell, Pot of Avarice! Now, I shuffle five monsters into my deck." William showed up Broww, Huntsman of Dark World; Brron, Mad King of Dark World; Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World; Sillva, Warlord of Dark World; and Raed, Prophet of Dark World, and shuffled them into his deck, an evil smirk radiating off his face.

"And now, I draw two cards!" cried William, nearly ripping the two cards off his deck.

William laughed darkly as he viewed his drawn cards. "You have lost, your senile fool. I activate this! Dark World Devastation!"

"What?!" cried Robert, as a hurricane whipped around him, destroying Tangent, and both of his face-downs."

"Wha... what... what is this?!" he cried, obviously shocked at the destruction.

"You fool," said William smugly. "Due to my Devastation... I discard two cards from my hand, and then I destroy 1 card on the field. So I discard six..." William showed up his hand, and placed it in the graveyard.

"No..." muttered Robert.

"And I pick up six new cards, due to my Dark World Bribe!" cried William. "But that's not what you should be worried about. I summon Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World; Sillva, Warlord of Darkworld; and Beiige, Vanguard of Dark World!

"But..." muttered Robert, staring down Williams' four horrible dark warriors.

"But NOTHING!" snarled William. "You have lost, you fool! Now, I will put you through the pain that I feel! GO, MY DARK WORLD WARRIORS! DESTROY HIM! ANNIHILATE, DECIMATE, WIPE HIM OFF THE FACE OF THE WORLD!"

Robert looked on, a single word escaping his lips... "William..." he muttered, before the crackling arcs of energy threw him backwards like a rag doll. His eyes fluttered as he neared unconsciousness, and he saw William's dark form towering over him, clutching his head.

William fell to his knees. "What's... happening?" he asked, his tough, smug, cruel tone evaporated. He saw Roberts' prone form on the ground. "What... what's happened... Robert?"

Will Robert manage to survive his duel with William? Can William tame his darker half? What has befallen our heroes whilst this dark duel occured? Find out on the next episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Tournaments of Prestige!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Six

Jacob bounded through the streets, making sure he was bright and early. In fact, he mused, checking his watch, I'm a little early. He glanced around the card shop: it was undeniably empty, bar the young shopkeeper, who was smiling kindly at him. He always did, dismissed Jacob. It's probably a sales ploy.

"Hellohowareyou?" asked the boy quickly.

Jacob stood, dumbfounded, unable to even comprehend his speech. It sounded more like a tape in fast-forward than a human being talking.

"Um... sorry?" asked Jacob, not wishing to sound rude.

"Isaid, hellohowareyou," said the boy, in a tone that, even at his lightning speed of speech, Jacob understood for disbelief. Great, thought Jacob. He thinks I'm crazy.

"I'm sorry," replied Jacob, awkward. This guy probably thinks I'm a total jerk, he thought, embarrassed.

"Wouldyouliketobepurchasingcards?" asked the boy, kindly. "Wehavemanyforsale."

Jacob's face turned furiously red as he struggled to comprehend the boy's blurred speech. "What's your name?" he asked, trying to opt for an easily comprehended topic.

"DanielPeach," replied the boy behind the counter, still smiling.

"Your name is Daniel Peach?" asked Jacob, trying to assure himself.

"Yes," replied Daniel, shaking his head sadly. This boy obviously cannot make sense of my words, he thought, pitying him.

"I'm sorry," replied Jacob. "I can't understand you. You talk too fast."

"What?" blinked Peach. "No. Idonotspeakfast."

It eventually dawned on Jacob that he was slowly getting more used to the boy's garbled speech, just as he would become used to a foreign accent. Still, he could only hazard a guess at what he was trying to say.

"You don't... speak..." muttered Jacob, trying to work through the phrase.

Daniel Peach shook his head. I'll try speaking slower, he thought. "You... want... some... cards?"

Jacob blinked. "Did you just start talking slower?" he asked.

Daniel forgot to check himself again. "YesIwasinfact."

Jacob turned away. "You... wanted me to buy some cards?" he hazarded.

Daniel beamed. "Yes," he replied, sticking to one-word replies.

"Well, sure," replied Jacob, fishing around his back pocket for his wallet, bringing a few dollars onto the counter. "What you got?"

"Anything," smiled Daniel. At least when I say one word at a time, he can understand me, he pondered.

"Sure," replied Jacob. "You got... Gamblers' Pride? Thats' my fave booster," he grinned sheepishly.

Daniel continued smiling politely, as a few more people trickled into the shop. He dove under the counter, and emerged with a pair of packs.

"Thanks," replied Jacob, storing the packs into his pocket while Daniel carefully placed his money in the register.

"No... problem," replied Daniel, remembering to slow himself down. "You... not opening them?"

"Naw," replied Jacob cheerily. "I'll do it later."

Daniel thought heavily as Jacob walked away, towards one of the tables that were specially set aside for duels. His brain flickered. He'd heard of this guy! He'd beaten Robert Fifoot and only just lost to Zaxla...

He stared in awe as the boy placed his deck on the table and drew six cards, talking amiably to himself, without a care in the world. He gaped. Daniel Peach knew very well how good Zaxla was; and if this guy only JUST lost to him, he already respected him.

"Still," he muttered to himself. "I'd... liketoduelhimtoo..."

Half an hour later, and the store was full of bustling and chatting, and the occasional grunt of annoyance as a duelist lost a match. Jacob looked around for his friends... he'd been looking for ages, and still not found them.

"Yo, Jacob!" cried a familiar voice, somewhere in the vicinity of the counter. Jacob, overjoyed by the sound of Zak's voice, bounced along to join up with them. They were at the counter, Zak fanning through some cards.

"Hey," said Jacob. "You've never had those before."

"Yeah," repied Zak absently, still looking through the cards with an occasional look of excitement or nausea.

"Nothing good, I bet," said Malak distractedly. "Never is in these new boosters."

"Zak decided to give his deck a boost before the tourney today," explained Hays, seeing Jacobs' lost expression.

Jacob was trying to remember what his friends had looked like yesterday, because it was obvious they were dressed... different. Malak wore black shorts, and a red T-shirt, "Make Some Noise" written on the back. Zak was wearing a black shirt and some khakhi knee-length pants. Hays, on the other hand, was wearing a pair of jeans and a pale blue shirt. Jacob suddenly felt embarrased for the... umpteenth time that day. HE had simply thrown on whatever was at hand: a once-white t-shirt now turning brown with unwashed dirt and dust, and a pair of dark, striped shorts. He grinned sheepishly.

Malaks' eyes narrowed. "What're YOU looking at?" he groused.

"Jeez, dude, what's wrong?" asked Jacob defensively.

Malak shook his head. "No idea," he sighed.

"Prob'ly a headache," said Zak, still pawing through his cards. Jacob remembered the packs in his pocket, and shrugged.

Jacob looked around, something bugging him, but he was unable to put his finger on it.

"Hey guys?" he asked timidly, Hays and Zak arguing fiercely about the rules of chaining.

"Listen guys," Malak said sharply. "Only traps and quickplays can be chained to traps and quickplays. A counter trap can chain anything, and only counter traps can chain counter traps."

"See!" cried Hays triumphantly. "Told you!"

Zak shook his head. "There is no way a spell card can compete with a trap!"

Malak wearily ran his hands through his hair, before turning to Jacob. "You said something?"

"Um, I forgot," he said, afraid of angering Malak whilst he was in a foul mood.

"Can't have been that important then," replied Malak briskly, some of his old humor shining through.

"I'm sure it was..." muttered Jacob, before it dawned on him. "Where's that other guy?"

"Lerrack?" asked Zak, now examining his deck, comparing the two sets of cards. "He got sick, I heard. We waited for him for ages."

"Which is why we're late," piped up Hays.

"Yeah," admitted Zak, turning back to his cards.

"Did you guys duel yesterday?" asked Jacob, excited. He had duelled thrice, but he hadn't seen either Malak, nor Zak duel yet.

"Meh," Malak shrugged. "We beat down on a pair of losers. Nothing exceptional."

"Lila and Anita, to be precise," supplied Zak. "Hey, Malak. Whaddaya reckon? M-Minesweeper over E-Forward Command?"

"E-Forward Command's a good card," said Malak, not paying full attention. "M-Minesweepers' not so."

"'K," replied Zak casually, tucking the card into his pocket, before cheerily shuffling his deck. "I reckon this new deck'll win me the Battle Royal."

"When did that start, anyway?" asked Jacob, excited. He already had a pair of victories to his credit, he thought proudly.

"Hasn't yet," replied Malak, his stormy mood seeming to dissipate. "Starts at ten ay-em. Coupla' minutes," he said, staring at the clock fixated behind the counter.

"But..." mumbled Jacob, shocked. "You mean... I mean... what was yesterday?"

"Oh, that," replied Zak, nodding his head slowly as he returned his deck to his pockets. "That's... um... the practise day. I dunno the scientific term, but its' the day you get to test decks, buy some packs, meet some people, check out the competition, all that other stuff."

"Yeah," replied Hays. "You need to duel again, before it counts. So, you gotta try and find someone..."

"I... wouldbehappy... to oblige," replied a familiar voice from behind Jacob.

Jacob whipped around. "Ah, Daniel," he smiled, seeing the shopkeeper's assistant standing ready, duel disk activated already.

"Time... toduel."

Jacob pulled the two packs out of his pockets, and, without looking, ripped the cards out of their packs. He shuffled the new cards into his deck, then slotted it into the disk. "Let's do this."

Zak looked on incredulously. "He has NO IDEA what he just pulled!"

"Doesn't matter," said Hays dismissively. "Jacob can do it anyway!"

"Don't screw this up, Johanssen," said Malak, with a small smile across his face. Jacob nodded, then turned back to Daniel, mind set.

"LET'S DO THIS!" they cried.

Daniel: 4000

Jacob: 4000

"I will begin," started Daniel, drawing six cards. "And I will start with Swarm Master Azrael in attack mode!"

Jacob instinctively recoiled as a large insect materialized to Daniel's field.

"Sayhello... tomydeck," smirked Daniel.

Archived