American Live Action movies based on Japanese Manga/Anime

PrometheusMFD

The Ring and The Grudge were both live action Japanese movies first.

DBE failed.

Avatar, while not technically anime, will probably also fail.

Speed Racer, which you failed to mention, was epic win.

I don't think American movie makers fully understand the anime genre, which is what causes these issues, I mean, when they adapt American cartoons (ie, Batman, Superman, other super heroes), it works much better. But then, they have people who are experts on the source material when making those ones. I don't think that's the case for the anime adaptions.

The Ring and The Grudge were both live action Japanese movies first.

DBE failed.

Avatar' date=' while not technically anime, will probably also fail.

Speed Racer, which you failed to mention, was epic win.

I don't think American movie makers fully understand the anime genre, which is what causes these issues, I mean, when they adapt American cartoons (ie, Batman, Superman, other super heroes), it works much better. But then, they have people who are experts on the source material when making those ones. I don't think that's the case for the anime adaptions.

[/quote']

I completely forgot they made Speed Racer, I guess because I never saw it.

If they go so far as to make live action adaptations of Yu-Gi-Oh! and the Big 3, they will all fail. The second I see a live-action version of Exodia, the Kyuubi, a Hollow, or even Chopper, sheet is going to hit the fan.

OMGAKITTY, The Last Airbender is being done by M. Night Shyamalan and has Jackson Rathbone as Sokka. No amount or anything will stop it from failing. The only exception is the unchallenged badassery of the Fire Nation battleships.

Speed Racer' date=' which you failed to mention, was epic win.

[/quote']

I hope that is a joke....

I don't think American movie makers fully understand the anime genre' date=' which is what causes these issues, I mean, when they adapt American cartoons (ie, Batman, Superman, other super heroes), it works much better. But then, they have people who are experts on the source material when making those ones. I don't think that's the case for the anime adaptions.

[/quote']

That I agree with, Americans should stick with what we got, IE Superheros form the 30s and 40s, War movies and well Sci-fi(somewhat about that)

The Japanese should stick with what they got

Anima

[/quote']

I don't think American movie makers fully understand the anime genre' date=' which is what causes these issues, I mean, when they adapt American cartoons (ie, Batman, Superman, other super heroes), it works much better. But then, they have people who are experts on the source material when making those ones. I don't think that's the case for the anime adaptions.

[/quote']

That I agree with, Americans should stick with what we got, IE Superheros form the 30s and 40s, War movies and well Sci-fi(somewhat about that)

Anima

Speed Racer is legit. Its one of those movies that is so terrible that its actually awesome. There's a trope for that...

"So bad its good", I believe.

Its not that I think Hollywood should only stick to American comics, I just think they need to hire experts on whatever they are trying to adapt. They want to adapt an anime? Get the mangaka to help with it! Get a director that knows the series and respects it.

[/quote']

[/quote']

Anima

Speed Racer is legit. Its one of those movies that is so terrible that its actually awesome. There's a trope for that...

"So bad its good", I believe.

Its not that I think Hollywood should only stick to American comics, I just think they need to hire experts on whatever they are trying to adapt. They want to adapt an anime? Get the mangaka to help with it! Get a director that knows the series and respects it.

Well speed racer okay i agree with you on that. Transformers 2 got close to that.

Ya they could do that or just get a fanboy.

You forgot to mention the complete character derailment and adaptation decay present in the third film. It's only a miracle that Mello was not in it. People think that if they do Americanize Death Note' date=' [i']Zac freaking Efron[/i] should be Light.

To be fair, Efron could probably pull off the look. I don't know about the personality type though.

You know. I really did think Dbe was an

EPIC FAIL!!!!

They need to actually watch the show before making the movie. 1st. Goku didn't have a tail. So how would he turn into an Ozaru. 2nd. Ozarus come out during a full moon. NOT A FRIEKING ECLIPSE. 3rd. Goku beat piccolo with one kamehameha. gayness....

I didn't watch speed racer because i don't like it.

But now, i can't wait for The Last Airbender. But i swear if M. Night Shamalan F'n messes this up, i will go to his house and punch him in his balls.

I don't get how people are saying that The Last Airbender will be fail? Because it has white actors and indians as fire nation? Last time I check, it was about the actor, not the look.

As for Deathnote. If america gets any sort of rights to it. I say they should make it a primetime series to aim at an adult audience. One of those CSI-esque shows they show nowadays. Basically what I'm saying is they should have a Real-Life series instead of movie.

But if they do make a movie I wish the cast was somewhat like this (Pure Fail, but would watch regardless)

Zac Efron as Light Yagami (LMMFGDAO)

Hugh Laurie (The guy from the show House) as Ryuk

Hilary Duff or Hannah Montana as Misa Amane

Johnny Depp as L (I so fail.lol)

Madonna or Leonardo Dicaprio as Mello

Some Albino kid as Near

Keanu Reeves as Teru Mikami

I'll probably come up with more failure later.

I don't get how people are saying that The Last Airbender will be fail? Because it has white actors and indians as fire nation? Last time I check' date=' it was about the actor, not the look.

[/quote']

Because there isn't a single Asian actor that could play Aang. They couldn't find one. In the whole wide world. Then there's the fact that its Shammallamamamaman whose directing. And that they cut Toph out completely. And that Iroh is played by some skinny guy. I don't want it to fail, but right now, it's not looking too good.

Taichi' date=' that whole Death Note cast list does in fact fail. Every character should be played by Neil Patrick Harris and his clones. Even Misa.

[/quote']

Aw man, I remember that quote. I've been on here too long. =A=

I don't get how people are saying that The Last Airbender will be fail? Because it has white actors and indians as fire nation? Last time I check' date=' it was about the actor, not the look.

[/quote']

Because there isn't a single Asian actor that could play Aang. They couldn't find one. In the whole wide world. Then there's the fact that its Shammallamamamaman whose directing. And that they cut Toph out completely. And that Iroh is played by some skinny guy. I don't want it to fail, but right now, it's not looking too good.

Okay, your right about that. But if they keep the same passion and act it out very well, all will be forgiven right? I mean Zuko is Dav Patel, it won't be as fail as everyone thinks. This is the first film of three. Last I checked, Toph didn't come until season 2 right? If Iroh's guy has the same wisdom-esque and love for tea, then everything is fine.

Archived