Commonly Used OCG Phrases

Bringerofcake

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How about rolling dice/tossing coins? I'm kinda dumbfounded on those effects

the first part of the effects of spirit monsters is still needed: This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up.

Check the "Effects" section.

thnx.

Yr wlcm

• 4 weeks later...

Kuiaja The Brutal Abyss Dragon (Dragon/Synchro/Effect) level 8 atk:2600 def:2500

.When this card is on the field in defense position, activates this effect. If the opponent has one monster or more in defense position, you can attack him directly using in his graveyard the attacking power of all of monsters. If this card effect is not activated by an effect of a card on the field or graveyard, double your monsters attack and defense points.

OMG -1 rep for that

That has nothing to do with this thread.

This monster gains (Number) ATK every time it attacks a (Attribute/level or more) monster.

Very good guide! You really help me improve my OCG (which is a bit bad when I think of new effects). I think this guide should be pinned not only here, but on all sections that go with card-making. Really good compilation, besides, it helps me think new and creative effects!. Very well done =D 10/10 and +1 Rep

"This card inflicts Piercing Damage" is OCG.

Well, it was attempted in Cyberdark Impact in English, but for reasons unknown it got scrapped. What a pity, since this is very helpful in reducing text chunks to avoid the card maker from shrinking the text too much. Should this be part of Official Card Grammar?

Meanwhile...

"...Increase your Life Points by (number) points."

"...Increase your Life Points by an amount equal to _ x (number) points."

"...Increase your Life Points by (number) points for each _."

"...Inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to _ x (number) points."

"...Inflict (number) points of damage to your opponent's Life Points for each _."

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was attempted in Cyberdark Impact in English, but for reasons unknown it got scrapped. What a pity, since this is very helpful in reducing text chunks to avoid the card maker from shrinking the text too much. Should this be part of Official Card Grammar?

Seeing as it is on an official card and has not been removed by an eratta, I would say it is OCG. The reasoning behind it I guess was because they were experimenting with the effect, or trying to trim down the size of the card's effect, but due to confusion with players they stopped using it for other cards. They did this with "Polymerization", making a very simple card effect much more complex to be more defining. However, the difference would be that Polymerization originally had the simpler effect and was eratta'd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I request the following disclaimer added to the first post?

"If at any point attempting to use the 'correct' OCG makes your card ambiguous, have questionable rulings, be overly long, or just outright sounds odd, make something up or go with your intuition. Having an understandable card is more important than a technically correct one, although being correct is still nice."

• 1 month later...

Archived