• Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question: Which is the difference between:

"Remove from play... from your Graveyard to..."

OR

"Remove from play... in your Graveyard to..."

?

Both effects have been used in newly released cards (see DaD and Ghoulungulate"), so you cannot say that "from" is the new OCG for "in" and vice-versa.

And regarding the above: which of those 2 OCG is more acceptable?

I have a question: Which is the difference between:

"Remove from play... from your Graveyard to..."

OR

"Remove from play... in your Graveyard to..."

?

Both effects have been used in newly released cards (see DaD and Ghoulungulate")' date=' so you cannot say that "from" is the new OCG for "in" and vice-versa.

And regarding the above: which of those 2 OCG is more acceptable?

[/quote']

I'm going to say that there is no difference between the two effects, and that "in" is more acceptable, if only because it eliminates the repetition of words, which is oftentimes a no-no in writing of any style.

Helpful thread is helpful.

This should be stickied.

+1 Rep for good idea!

Yeah' date=' it should. If only a Mod or Admin would see it and do that.

"If this card is sent from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard by {a/your opponent's} card effect, ..."

"If this card would be destroyed, you can {insert action here} instead."

[hr']

An important one for rulings:

"When this card is destroyed, you can..."

VS

"If this card is destroyed, you can..."

The former can miss the timing. The latter can't.

There seems to be a difference of wordings for Ignition Effects:

FIELD

"Once per turn, you can {insert cost to be paid here} to {insert function to be performed here}."

GRAVEYARD

"If this card is in your Graveyard, you can activate this card's effect by {insert cost to be paid here}. {insert function to be performed here}."

That's taken from Level Eater (loosely). Interchangeable with the other way, as with Necro Gardna.

well i don't mind the wording of some cards but there are people that make the effects like ultra complex and mess up horribly on the wording. i just tell them to refer to the real cards until they catch on to the proper ocg and ways a card is balanced. i've been making cards forever and i still mess up in some of the wording. but normally cause i'm trying to find how i want an effect to be worded and i'll remake the card atleast 6 times until i'm fully satisfied.

Something I realized needed pointing out:

Koa'ki Meiru text (Maintenance Cost):

-During the End Phase, this card is destroyed unless {insert requirement here}.

VS.:

Yubel's text (Effect)

-During the End Phase, either {insert requirement here} or destroy this card.

Skill Drain won't negate the former, but it will the latter.

Kuiaja The Brutal Abyss Dragon (Dragon/Synchro/Effect) level 8 atk:2600 def:2500

.When this card is on the field in defense position, activates this effect. If the opponent has one monster or more in defense position, you can attack him directly using in his graveyard the attacking power of all of monsters. If this card effect is not activated by an effect of a card on the field or graveyard, double your monsters attack and defense points.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more phrases:

Activation condition:

"While you control a/another [insert kind of monster here (DARK, "Ice Barrier", etc.)] monster,..."

Summoning condition:

"If your opponent controls [insert number and/or kind of monsters here: no monsters, 2 LIGHT monsters, etc.] (and you control no monsters), you can Special Summon this card from your hand."

"This card cannot be Special Summoned (from your hand/Deck/Graveyard)"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm quite sure that Ritual stuff isn't here:

Spell: "This card is used to Ritual Summon "(Scary Ritual Monster Name)". You must also Tribute monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal (Scary Ritual Monster Level) or more."

Monster: "This monster can only be Ritual Summoned with the Ritual Spell Card, "(Scary Monsters Ritual Spell)"."

Also adding "Rampaging Rhynos"' text for anyone interested: "Once per turn, this card can move to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone." I'm not too sure if there's any cards that share this effect. Nor do I know if any others share the "If this card attacks the monster in its same column, this card gains 500 ATK during the Damage Step." effect, or anything related, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived