Official Runescape Discusion Thread

Skyfi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except for that circle around the booths that obscures them a bit.

I couldn't log in during the BXPW because my internet browsers wouldn't let me and I totally forgot about the client, so I only managed to get 71 Agility. I'm going to try and kill Vanstrom tomorrow.

Right now, here's where I stand with the quests:

• The Branches of Darkmeyer

-- Kill Vanstrom

• A Clockwork Syringe

-- 73/74 Thieving

• Nomad's Requiem

--66/70 Prayer

• The Ritual of the Mahjarrat

-- 71/77 Agility

-- 71/76 Crafting

-- 71/76 Mining

• The Void Stares Back

-- Kill the Pest Queen

I don't know how long it's been since I had five quests to do. I want to at least finish the last two Master quests.

...On second thought, maybe I won't kill Vanstrom and just focus on A Clockwork Syringe. I love the Myreque series and I'm rather neutral on the Pirate series right now, so I think it would be more fitting to make The Branches of Darkmeyer my last Master quest.

Well I just finished A Clockwork Syringe. That was actually a bad quest.

[spoiler=Here's my review.]Storyline: 7/10

Character development: 6/10

Length: 8/10

Puzzles: 7/10

Boss fight: 9/10

Reward: 8/10

Difficulty: 7/10

Requirement: 6/10

Relevance: 7/10

Overall: 7/10

Well, I just finished the latest Pirate quest. What did I think of it? To be honest, I thought it was bad. I know some of you thought the quest was great, and I can respect that, but out of all the quests we've gotten this year, I thought this was one of the worst.

I will admit, the quest was funny at times, but I think that there are two quests that this must be compared to: King of the Dwarves and Salt in the Wound. The former used to be my least favorite of this year's quests (Well, aside from Elemental Workshop IV, but that's a given), while the latter is incredibly reviled, although I liked it. How so? Let me explain the problems with the quest, and how they relate to A Clockwork Syringe.

My problem with King of the Dwarves was that I found it very hard to care for any of the cast. In this quest, Bill Teach is essentially the Veldaban, as he serves as our ally. KotD could essentially be described as "Twenty Minutes With Jerks: Dwarf Edition", except it was understandable why. Veldaban is tired of the Consortium's nonsense, and wants to change how things work. An admirable goal, and I like how our character keeps Veldaban in line. With ACS, we're pretty much stuck with Bill or actually doing something, and he's mostly just a lunatic. His refusal to believe that Rabid Jack is back reminds me of Cornelius Fudge's similar refusal of Voldemort's return. As we all know, no one liked Fudge.

Bill's crazy schemes also made me think of Jack Sparrow, but he lacks the charisma to make it work. I don't exactly care for Bill's character, but I at least wanted to root for Veldaban and thought that he played a role similar to Zanik's. King of the Dwarves simply had more interesting characters.

Now then, on to Salt in the Wound. What I understand, the most common complaints were the awkward implementation of Dungeoneering, the misplaced humor, and the unfathomably memetic defeat of Mother Mallum. As far as I'm concerned, A Clockwork Syringe did a far worse job than all of those. Or, more accurately, Salt in the Wound just did it better when it got released.

I actually liked how Daemonheim was incorporated into Salt in the Wound. Really, my only problem was that it should have received a lot more explanation, but the very idea of Mother Mallum's weakness being found in Daemoheim was interesting. With A Clockwork Syringe, all that happened is that Captain Braindeath lost three of his brewers, and we had to find them. Their only tie to Daemonheim is that they're from there. Dungeoneering was more forced in the quest, while Salt in the Wound simply failed to provide enough explanations, and what little we got was enough to justify why it was in there. As for the party mechanic introduced through the Dungeoneering, I'd say that it was an improvement over how Three's Company did it, but I'll go into more detail about that later.

Let's talk about the humor, shall we? I thought it was ridiculous that we actually had to resort to the Twiblick Night Special - which admittedly had hilarious, yet predictable, build up - to get the Barrelchest to talk. Couldn't we just use the truth serum? It's not like adding Hand in the Sand as a requirement would be all that hard. And yes, I do think Hunt for Red Raktuber should have been required for Salt in the Wound, but that's beside the point. In fact, it was this very unnecessary sequence that led to the Dungeoneering segment in the first place!

Oh, but there was one part that happened to be both the best part and the worst part of the quest: Baron von Hattenkrapper. While his name is incredibly hilarious, I had completely forgotten who he was, and the fact that we needed 65 Summoning for his segment was just ridiculous.

The controls for the BvH segment were simply atrocious. They were even worse than the Salt in the Wound party system. While I think that it's a concept that could be tried again with improvements, the controls were simply awful. There was a needless delay with him changing directions as well as dropping the cannonballs. I found the very idea of this segment to be more ridiculous than Mother Mallum's death. Why? Because you are telepathically commanding a seagull to drop cannonballs on robot zombie pirates. Why is it that pillars have become such a ridiculous meme but seagulls have not?

Hattenkrapper appears out nowhere. I barely remember him in Rocking Out, because from what I remember of Rocking Out, it was just a fetch quest. A fetch quest for what exactly? TO PROVE THAT RABID JACK IS BACK. And yet here this seagull comes, declaring that you are his sworn enemy, but he will agree to put differences aside to defeat the Barrelchests. I get that this quest should be seen as over the top, but I simply felt that this was just going too far with that.

Could someone explain to me why we needed 65 Summoning for this? In fact, let's look at the other requirements, shall we?

50 Dungeoneering

61 Slayer

62 Construction

74 Smithing

74 Thieving

76 Defence

Now then, as I've said, the Dungeoneering was so badly forced into this quest. I have no clue at all why 61 Slayer was a requirement, so feel free to enlighten me. Construction seemed to be for the Zomboat segment, but I'll deal with that later. I can excuse 74 Smithing, since the cannonball barrel-boat was actually kind of cool idea, although I don't understand why we couldn't just fire ourselves out of the cannon. 74 Thieving was stupid because it's just to open a cell door. A DOOR. We seriously needed 74 Thieving for that? That's even more ridiculous than Love Story's requirements being for a toy robot. I can accept 76 Defence for the Barrelchest disguise, which I actually thought was a cool idea.

Now, just like the poor controls of the Hattenkrapper segment, the Zomboat scene was just awkward. Not to mention that it makes NO SENSE. Mi-Gor and Murphy just conveniently leave another boat for you to pilot? That's essentially bringing a bunch of knives and handing them out to your friends and then leaving a gun for your enemy to pick up. The plot felt like it relied entirely on coincidence, which just isn't that interesting. Remember that awfully convenient insurance policy?

I know that I should judge this quest as its own thing and not based on how it compares to other quests, one of which came after it, but that doesn't change the fact that this wasn't a good quest. Sure, it had some interesting parts, particularly a rather interesting boss battle (Exactly how did that head end up on a barrel and then on a crate?), but that was at the beginning of it. The quest started off fine, but then it just got worse and worse until it simply wasn't fun. It had some parts that made it a bit better near the end, but the good far outweighed the bad in this case. I was really hoping that, like Do No Evil, this quest could make me truly appreciate the series, but it failed to do so. Needless to say, the next quest will have more outrageously high requirements, but I'm in no rush to see it be released unless the series actually gets more interesting then.

~*~ In summary ~*~

The positives:

- Interesting boss fight.

- "Baron von Hattenkrapper" is a hilarious name.

- Some parts were a bit funny.

- Interesting puzzles.

The negatives:

- The plot was way too contrived.

- Awful controls in some parts.

- Couldn't really care for any of the characters.

- Incredibly awkward implementation of Dungeoneering.

- Most of the humor was actually too ridiculous and came across as plain stupid rather than genuinely hilarious.

- Needlessly high requirements.

Just keep trying for the Quest Cape like I am.

Lol, I'd never get that. Quest are just too look and frustrating (Recipe for Disaster.) I rarely do them, I only have 123 Quest Points :P

I might try to do Desert Treasure though, just because I haven't done it yet.

I would say that the three best quests in game are as follows:

Obviously, spoilers

1. Branches of Darkmeyer:

Mod Ana is brilliant, though there are bugs galor in this quest, and the boss is a..., I still loved this quest. This one quest saved my hope for this game. Drakan's Medallion is one of the most useful items in game for me.

2. While Guthix Sleeps:

Epic, nuff said. Dragon Claws should have required this quest to use, thus preventing every pure and its fifty botted duplicates from using it after buying it with rwt.

3. Ritual of the Mahjarrat:

Was better than my expectations, a 9/10 quest (8/10 is my expectations, 15/10 is pretty much die of happiness at its beauty), with good rewards, new bosses, and even new barrows gear.

I am a proud quest cape and taskmaster holder (I need a life, seriously), so I know this game. NO, you cannot have free st00f, because I am poor after skilling so much to get taskmaster.

Also, if you have 80 ATK, get a chaotic rapier. Trust me, its worth it. You can make the money required to repair it easily if you know where to train/what to fight/are even slightly competent at money-making.

BTW, do not dice, it is addicting and even though you can win big, you are selling your soul. Even worse if you are the one hosting, because you are ripping off the unintelligent masses.

BRB, using Sliske for my new avatar.

Archived