The Last Airbender... Racist?

I personally do not think I would call it racist, but more ignorant. If you haven't any idea of what I am speaking, then I shall explain. A movie based on a series that takes place in a and is inspired by Oriental culture is without Asian cast members. It is dominated by white people and for some reason an Indian Fire Nation. Why is this and should it be?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the cartoon series there were both blacks and asians, referring to the shows background/origin. The cast is horrible, look at Zuko, Katara and Sokka. I mean they messed up the whole thing. What they cant find better look a like for the movie. Movie Aang is excused since hes monk.

Wow

hurpdurr.jpg

Actor Sokka looks like Sokka and sounds vocally like Sokka from what little I've heard.

Actor Katara is just as preachy and full of hope as her cartoon counterpart. The girl sounds a little like her

I'm glad they did what they did with Aang's arrow's and detailed the hell out of it, because it honestly would just look cheesy if it was a blue line of paint on his body. The only thing I find bad about Aang is that from what I've seen so far, he's too serious and not that goofy little kid from Season 1. That's a minor complaint btw.

Actor Zuko has that same vengeance and determination in his eyes that his cartoon counterpart has. Dev Patel is a critically acclaimed actor, so I think he'll do well. Damn, that eye looks burnt as hell. Good job team.

I don't really care about the ethnicity or whatever of the characters, as long as they can get the personality down as perfectly as possible, I'll support. It's all down to the actors for me. Iroh, Zuko, and Sokka have the biggest pressure for me in this movie. Sokka has to be the funny, sarcastic, meat loving, buttmonkkey. Iroh has to be the tea drinking, wise talking, humble elder. He's not fat either, so he'll have to really act his way out of this one. Zuko has to have that 'I must capture the Avatar to restore my honor' type of mentality in this movie for it to work.

If they mess up Toph's character in the next movie, I'm done. I'm not talking about ethnic wise either. I can live with whatever ethnicity they put Toph as, but if they mess up her personality or her actor can't act, I'm through.

not reallt no... i think its funny that M. Night Shamalan is the one who made the movie... especially since its based on a...(wait for it).....LITTLE KIDS CARTOON SHOW!!!

That dude is an insult, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Pink Panther, Alice In Wonderland, X-men, Street Fighter and Fat Albert were all cartoons before they became movies. Little Kids Cartoon Show, thats a shame. If you watched any of these movies and more related to this topic I ask you to shut up.

I'm with Taichi.. Who they choose to play who doesn't really matter! As long as they can get the personalities down the movie will atleast be decent. Aang has to be Aang Goofy, Childish. Sokka has to be Cocky, Goofy. Kitara has to be happy and carring. Zuko has to be troubled and Irou has to be laxed and wise. AS long as the characters live up to the Cartoon Characters it will be fine.

^ This is only book 1, so no.

I personally do not think I would call it racist' date=' but more ignorant. If you haven't any idea of what I am speaking, then I shall explain. A movie based on a series that takes place in a and is inspired by Oriental culture is [b']without Asian cast members[/b]. It is dominated by white people and for some reason an Indian Fire Nation. Why is this and should it be?

Indian people are Asian.. =/

besides' date=' there was alot of serious stuff, like blood bending, thats scary.

but anyway, they were going to give the roll of zuko to...ok lets see, zuko zuko zuko...BWAHAHAHLOLAHAHHROFLHAHAH, JESSE MCARTNY...oh wait he cant do it...YAY

[/quote']

I would have to agree that blood bending is scary so it should be cool in the movie

but from the trailers it looks just like book 1

Archived