The Last Airbender... Racist?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst part about the movie (and a lot of why I won't go see it) is the casting choices. Just ridiculous. The Water Tribe is clearly Eskimo/Inuit' date=' whatever you want to call it.

[/quote']

Just to let you know, Southern Water Tribe is Eskimo/Inuit. Northern Water Tribe are White. The reason Katara and Sokka are white is because their Gran-Gran was originally from Northern Tribe. I know that doesn't make much of a difference, but just thought you should know. And if nobody read my post before, Earth Kingdom and Toph are Asian and Airbenders are diverse.

Toph isn't in the first movie, so she doesn't count. And having the Northern Water Tribe be white is a hand wave at the choice of actors for Katara and Sokka. I don't remember the Northern Water Tribe being white in the show.

And Airbenders are supposed to be Asian, too. Based off Tibetan monks. I'm not arguing against the diversity of the movie cast; clearly there are many different races in it. I care about who they chose to play who.

Also, the colors of the movie look drab. And I hear that they don't even use the same fighting styles as the show. And no one wants to see a serious Aang, at least not for the whole movie.

I know, right? The kid for Zuko looks as good as you'll ever find in real life, and the guy for the Fire Lord looks like he was made for the part. Look at that face! Aaaah!

The worst part about the movie (and a lot of why I won't go see it) is the casting choices. Just ridiculous. The Water Tribe is clearly Eskimo/Inuit' date=' whatever you want to call it.

[/quote']

Just to let you know, Southern Water Tribe is Eskimo/Inuit. Northern Water Tribe are White. The reason Katara and Sokka are white is because their Gran-Gran was originally from Northern Tribe. I know that doesn't make much of a difference, but just thought you should know. And if nobody read my post before, Earth Kingdom and Toph are Asian and Airbenders are diverse.

Toph isn't in the first movie, so she doesn't count. And having the Northern Water Tribe be white is a hand wave at the choice of actors for Katara and Sokka. I don't remember the Northern Water Tribe being white in the show.

And Airbenders are supposed to be Asian, too. Based off Tibetan monks. I'm not arguing against the diversity of the movie cast; clearly there are many different races in it. I care about who they chose to play who.

Also, the colors of the movie look drab. And I hear that they don't even use the same fighting styles as the show. And no one wants to see a serious Aang, at least not for the whole movie.

I know, right? The kid for Zuko looks as good as you'll ever find in real life, and the guy for the Fire Lord looks like he was made for the part. Look at that face! Aaaah!

I don't want a serious Aang until he started being serious in the show. Sokka,they just ruined him. I heard he wasn't near as goofy as he should have been. Poor Avatar...

The Fire Lord looked perfect, but Iroh I wasn't too sure about. He didn't seem to have the Iroh mood on his face in those pictures.

The more I read reviews, the more depressed I get. On RottenTomatoes, it has like 4%. Toy Story 3 got 99%. I about ready to start a "We hate M. Night Shamalan" club here, because it takes a real funking idiot to this screw up.

The Fire Lord looked perfect' date=' but Iroh I wasn't too sure about. He didn't seem to have the Iroh mood on his face in those pictures.

[/quote']

Just take his character from Bulletproof Monk and combine it with his portrayal of Master Roshi from Dragonball Evolution.

The Fire Lord looked perfect' date=' but Iroh I wasn't too sure about. He didn't seem to have the Iroh mood on his face in those pictures.

[/quote']

Just take his character from Bulletproof Monk and combine it with his portrayal of Master Roshi from Dragonball Evolution.

[/quote']

Guest PikaPerson01
I never watched The Last Airbender when it came out, so I decided to catch up on it since the movie was coming out.

It does not deserve many of the accolades it has received. The reason I say this is that it has been acclaimed as something that doesn't just work for its 6-10 demographic, but is great for the whole family or whatever. Well, no, it's not - it works for its demographic and no one else. That's not a strike against it, just a fact - it's not any more genre-bending or whatever than any other cartoon shows that have come out then and now.

I disagree, but I'll respect your opinion abnd I'll do my best to remain neutral as I continue writing. <_<

The show enjoyed romping in sloppy writing, with events created for the hell of it or to invent quick-fixes. The most obvious of these is the Avatar State - I can see Aang with a checklist: fly ON, no damage ON, infinite MP ON, autokill ON.

To be fair... he can only trigger the Avatar State when he's really emotional or in mortal danger. He did it thirteen times through the series 61 episode run, however he only used it 3 times in a fight. The Avatar Returns (second episode when everyone was dorwning), The Crossroads of Destiny (where he still messed up anyway) and Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang (which was like... the last episode anyway after it seemed he'd never be able to enter the Avatar State ever again)

Arguing that the journey was necessary is absurd. Imagine some people are traveling in search of a legendary treasure, which they know to be directly ahead. Before them are two paths: on the left is a straight road. On the right is a cave with a spike floor guarded by dragons...that are ON FIRE. Behind them, the travelers can see Chuck Norris in the midst of a practice bout with Bruce Lee.

"Let's take the right path," suggests one person, "we might be able to develop our characters that way!"

I assume you're talking about season one for the most part. Well, it's explained pretty frequently that Aang's not just out to master water bending. As the Avatar he also has to help people. I think it might have been a more apt comparison to cave with a spike floor guarded by dragons...that are ON FIRE... with villagers they have to save inside. They could either save the villagers or keep walking, and they choose the villagers quite often.

Bloodbending

Agreed. It was introduced too quickly and too suddenly and never really used to any of it's potential. Though the reason it's not used more is because Katara's character is rather meek and also it can only be used during a full moon. Still not an excuse for bad writing though, I guess.

I could improve it with my hands tied behind my back,

Well... go ahead? Not like an uppity sarcastic challenge or w/e, I honestly wanna hear ya' out. I mean, I know there were a few flaws but for the most part I thought it was a well made show. Though if your suggestions to improve it would be "blood and violence!" or w/e I think you're clearly missing the point.

And from what I've seen the movie looks a good deal worse.

Agreed.

Guest PikaPerson01
I never watched The Last Airbender when it came out, so I decided to catch up on it since the movie was coming out.

It does not deserve many of the accolades it has received. The reason I say this is that it has been acclaimed as something that doesn't just work for its 6-10 demographic, but is great for the whole family or whatever. Well, no, it's not - it works for its demographic and no one else. That's not a strike against it, just a fact - it's not any more genre-bending or whatever than any other cartoon shows that have come out then and now.

I disagree, but I'll respect your opinion abnd I'll do my best to remain neutral as I continue writing. <_<

The show enjoyed romping in sloppy writing, with events created for the hell of it or to invent quick-fixes. The most obvious of these is the Avatar State - I can see Aang with a checklist: fly ON, no damage ON, infinite MP ON, autokill ON.

To be fair... he can only trigger the Avatar State when he's really emotional or in mortal danger. He did it thirteen times through the series 61 episode run, however he only used it 3 times in a fight. The Avatar Returns (second episode when everyone was dorwning), The Crossroads of Destiny (where he still messed up anyway) and Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang (which was like... the last episode anyway after it seemed he'd never be able to enter the Avatar State ever again)

Arguing that the journey was necessary is absurd. Imagine some people are traveling in search of a legendary treasure, which they know to be directly ahead. Before them are two paths: on the left is a straight road. On the right is a cave with a spike floor guarded by dragons...that are ON FIRE. Behind them, the travelers can see Chuck Norris in the midst of a practice bout with Bruce Lee.

"Let's take the right path," suggests one person, "we might be able to develop our characters that way!"

I assume you're talking about season one for the most part. Well, it's explained pretty frequently that Aang's not just out to master water bending. As the Avatar he also has to help people. I think it might have been a more apt comparison to cave with a spike floor guarded by dragons...that are ON FIRE... with villagers they have to save inside. They could either save the villagers or keep walking, and they choose the villagers quite often.

Bloodbending

Agreed. It was introduced too quickly and too suddenly and never really used to any of it's potential. Though the reason it's not used more is because Katara's character is rather meek and also it can only be used during a full moon. Still not an excuse for bad writing though, I guess.

Well... go ahead? Not like an uppity sarcastic challenge or w/e, I honestly wanna hear ya' out. I mean, I know there were a few flaws but for the most part I thought it was a well made show. Though if your suggestions to improve it would be "blood and violence!" or w/e I think you're clearly missing the point.

Agreed.

Guest PikaPerson01

Bloodbending

Agreed.

I never watched The Last Airbender when it came out' date=' so I decided to catch up on it since the movie was coming out.

It does not deserve many of the accolades it has received. The reason I say this is that it has been acclaimed as something that doesn't just work for its 6-10 demographic, but is great for the whole family or whatever. Well, no, it's not - it works for its demographic and no one else. That's not a strike against it, just a fact - it's not any more genre-bending or whatever than any other cartoon shows that have come out then and now.[/quote']

Bloodbending

Agreed.

God, now I'm not remembering everything as well as I should be...ugh. Well, let's begin with Avatar State, since that is the most heavily flawed from a design standpoint. It seems to have been designed while someone was reading a self-help book on how to design special abilities. The fact is that the Avatar State is the most powerful existence in the world, so oh crap it needs a drawback. Hm...let's stop the cycle of reincarnation if you die in Avatar State! Great...how do you plan on dying in the Avatar State anyway? Outside of certain contrived endings to certain seasons that are neither 1 or 3. And what kind of drawback is that, really? It's like saying, "if you die in Avatar State, all the money in the world will be set on fire." Oh, really? But...I'm still dead. This was probably them trying to dodge "oooh it consumes your life-force oooh", but it just comes out as stupid.

And then the Avatar State can only be used at certain vague times of emotional stress or physical danger. When ELSE would you use it? And does fighting the Firelord not qualify as physical danger and/or emotional stress? If he had emerged from his contrived icy tomb (don't get me started on that, either the scientific bit or why exactly the Avatar State thought freezing him in ice made sense) and immediately flown a very long time he could have fought the Firelord and won. Aang gets more powerful as the show goes on, but the Avatar State doesn't.

Improving it? This is going to sound like a cop-out, but to do that I'd need to go episode by episode because I'm seriously blanking on this stuff, and right now I'm far from home and will be until next weekend. One problem that would need to be corrected is tone - it needs to take itself a little more seriously. Not like the movie (since that's what this topic is really about), and remaining light-hearted is fine, but at particularly bad times it seems like the Ember Island Players took things more seriously than the writing staff (gasp i made a refrence 2 teh sho so im smart k)

Basically, there are four sorts of situations:

Situations that deserve humor, and have it. (Light-hearted)

Situations that deserve humor, and don't have it. (Melodrama)

Situations that don't deserve humor, and have it. (Stupidness)

Situations that don't deserve humor, and don't have it. (Drama)

Obviously, the middle two are bad. The show does the first alright while the third is its default setting, but uses the fourth about as often as I pull off the Inti-Quilla Loop, and uses it successfully even less often.

God' date=' now I'm not remembering everything as well as I should be...ugh. Well, let's begin with Avatar State, since that is the most heavily flawed from a design standpoint. It seems to have been designed while someone was reading a self-help book on how to design special abilities. The fact is that the Avatar State is the most powerful existence in the world, so oh crap it needs a drawback. Hm...let's stop the cycle of reincarnation if you die in Avatar State! Great...how do you plan on dying in the Avatar State anyway? Outside of certain contrived endings to certain seasons that are neither 1 or 3. And what kind of drawback is that, really? It's like saying, "if you die in Avatar State, all the money in the world will be set on fire." Oh, really? But...I'm still dead. This was probably them trying to dodge "oooh it consumes your life-force oooh", but it just comes out as stupid.

And then the Avatar State can only be used at certain vague times of emotional stress or physical danger. When ELSE would you use it? And does fighting the Firelord not qualify as physical danger and/or emotional stress? If he had emerged from his contrived icy tomb (don't get me started on that, either the scientific bit or why exactly the Avatar State thought freezing him in ice made sense) and immediately flown a very long time he could have fought the Firelord and won. Aang gets more powerful as the show goes on, but the Avatar State doesn't.

Improving it? This is going to sound like a cop-out, but to do that I'd need to go episode by episode because I'm seriously blanking on this stuff, and right now I'm far from home and will be until next weekend. One problem that would need to be corrected is tone - it needs to take itself a little more seriously. Not like the movie (since that's what this topic is really about), and remaining light-hearted is fine, but at particularly bad times it seems like the Ember Island Players took things more seriously than the writing staff (gasp i made a refrence 2 teh sho so im smart k)

Basically, there are four sorts of situations:

Situations that deserve humor, and have it. (Light-hearted)

Situations that deserve humor, and don't have it. (Melodrama)

Situations that don't deserve humor, and have it. (Stupidness)

Situations that don't deserve humor, and don't have it. (Drama)

Obviously, the middle two are bad. The show does the first alright while the third is its default setting, but uses the fourth about as often as I pull off the Inti-Quilla Loop, and uses it successfully even less often.

[/quote']

The idea of the cycle being cut off if he dies in the Avatar state gives him a reason to be careful with using it. The Avatar has to be someone who cares about the safety of the world, not some douche only worried about his own immediate existence. And he has to master all of the elements in order to use all of its power. It's not like Aang could have just jumped out of the iceberg, flown over to the Fire Lord, and beat his ass. If not for all the training, he would have been defeated easily, assuming he could have fought his way through the entire Fire Nation army by himself. Notice how he doesn't have automatic control over all of the elements in the Avatar state; he had to develop those skills first to be able to control them well. And he didn't have complete control over himself in the Avatar state. Remember when he was training with the guru? That was because he pretty much just reacted to things in the Avatar state, instead of completing a specific objective he needed to.

And the whole point of the Ember Island Players was to summarize the show, while parodying it at the same time and letting the characters reflect on everything that happened up until then.

As for the execution of the humor and drama in the show, a lot of that depends on the person watching. I enjoyed a lot of those moments. There were also times when the fact that it was a show made for kids was pretty obvious in the material. But who doesn't like when a character makes a lame joke and someone coughs offscreen? Classic Sokka!

EDIT: About him surviving in the iceberg for 100 years: Avatar Kyoshi lived to be 230. That means that being the Avatar comes with a buttload of sustaining energy. With the Avatar state, he remained in suspended animation, like an enhanced version of being cryogenically frozen.

Guest PikaPerson01
God, now I'm not remembering everything as well as I should be...ugh. Well, let's begin with Avatar State, since that is the most heavily flawed from a design standpoint. It seems to have been designed while someone was reading a self-help book on how to design special abilities. The fact is that the Avatar State is the most powerful existence in the world, so oh crap it needs a drawback. Hm...let's stop the cycle of reincarnation if you die in Avatar State! Great...how do you plan on dying in the Avatar State anyway? Outside of certain contrived endings to certain seasons that are neither 1 or 3. And what kind of drawback is that, really? It's like saying, "if you die in Avatar State, all the money in the world will be set on fire." Oh, really? But...I'm still dead. This was probably them trying to dodge "oooh it consumes your life-force oooh", but it just comes out as stupid.

Meh, it's about as badly designed as Super Saiyan level w/e or Naruto's nine tailed fox. I'm not trying to make an excuse, but well... the guy's the avatar and apparently being able to bend all four elements wasn't particularly considered good enough. It does sort of make sense, in that the Avatar is endlessly reincarnated and when they enter the Avatar State they're given all the combined strength of every previous Avatar. Still doesn't excuse terrible writing though but... willing suspension of disbelief?

And then the Avatar State can only be used at certain vague times of emotional stress or physical danger. When ELSE would you use it? And does fighting the Firelord not qualify as physical danger and/or emotional stress?

His chakra was locked or w/e... <_<

Meh, it made for a much more interesting battle knowing he couldn't just easily hit the Avatar State and end it after the first episode. Though your argument keeps getting flipped. First it's Aang's checklist: "fly ON, no damage ON, infinite MP ON, autokill ON." implying it got boring knowing he'd just hit the Avatar State when he got into any real danger and there was little tension, but when they 'fixed' that for Season 3 the problem is that he didn't do the 'checklist' and win immediately? You can't have it both ways.

If he had emerged from his contrived icy tomb [...] and immediately flown a very long time he could have fought the Firelord and won.

Err... so you understand that the Avatar State only works when he's in mortal danger and under stress, right? What stress or mortal danger was he in when he met Katara and Sokka? What emotional stress was he under when he was surrounding by the girls on Kyoshi Island? As for flying to the Firelord, there were countless war ships patrolling the seas near the Fire Nation (recalling Winter Solstice: Avatar Roku) and I assume Ozai would have guards and Azula by his side to defend him.

(don't get me started on that, either the scientific bit or why exactly the Avatar State thought freezing him in ice made sense)

You honestly want to apply scientific reasoning to a show where characters fling fire and water at each other and dragons, large flying bisons, and spirits from parallel worlds are considered "normal"?

As for the Avatar State freezing him, it did no such thing. It kept him alive while he froze himself.

Aang gets more powerful as the show goes on, but the Avatar State doesn't.

So, the Avatar State starts out as too powerful or w/e, but then the complaint is it doesn't get more powerful? But beyond that, it's stated the Avatar State is the combined power of all the other past lives. Logically, the State couldn't get more powerful unless Aang died, and it would be the next Avatar who was more powerful then he was.

You're gonna need to have to site some examples for the next section. I can agree to an extent, certain episodes were more melodramatic then they needed to be, Ember Island Players not being one of them, but I wouldn't say that was the way it worked for a majority of the series.

Saw it today, kind of...

[spoiler=Info about movie here, don't read if you don't want it spoiled]

disappointing. Acting could have been better (though it was mostly the script), casting as well. Relationships were barely established developed. Pretty much removed the humorous aspect of Avatar, and was just a rushed version of all the major aspects of book one.

Also, Ozai seemed to care about Zuko, and the best fight scene, between Zuko and Aang, had no bending, and when it did, started to get boring.

Bending in the movie was over-exaggerated, more like a showcase of martial arts.

Wasn't really worth what I payed for it, maybe half of what I payed. Though this is only my opinion.

If you guys don't know, there is a prequel and book dealing with the movie.

Kinda liked the books better than the movie.

Saw the movie.

Worst movie I have ever seen.

The beginning was shaky. I hardly know who Sokka and Katara are. Sokka loses his funniness and Katara has about four lines in the whole movie.

MNight could take some writing advice from Crab Helmet. A lot of advice.

It's hard for me to explain how awful this movie was.

Don't see it. I beg you.

I saw the movie without seeing the series, but basically it was terrible.

It seems like the script wasn't even proofread properly; that southern water girl that never did anything important refers to Aang by his name in a voiceover before he even introduced himself. That's the sort of thing that, in a normal movie, results in the hero becoming suspicious and being all, "How did you know my name!? You are not who you claim to be!" and which serves as a major plot point. In this movie, nothing happens because M. Night Shyamalan is an idiot.

George Lucas seems to have been called in to write the waterguy/blondprincess romance. It was laughable enough at first with useless-voiceover-girl announcing that the two of them quickly became good friends when all we see is them staring at each other when they first meet without speaking, but then they get their one single scene together (that was really just there to provide exposition) and you suddenly wish they would start talking about sand or something.

The plot seemed to run purely on everyone being idiots. Early on, Zuko and The Uncle have in their hands the person they know is the most powerful being in their existence... so they tell him that they're kidnapping him and do nothing to restrain him. Obviously, he escapes. Then, near the end, Zuko goes out of his way to capture that very same most powerful being in existence, and does so while said being is not conscious... and again refuses to restrain him. Okay, he handcuffs his hands together, but does nothing to his legs, which leaves him free to run around and use his magical powers. What makes this even worse is that Zuko had previously seen his rival, that guy from the Daily Show, who we are supposed to think of more negatively than Zuko even though he is clearly far more competent, capture Aang and actually immobilize his four limbs properly, preventing him from moving and eliminating his magical powers, which are all fueled by interpretive dance.

Speaking of which, perhaps the original cartoon is better, but the powers in the setting seem rather stupidly-designed, even if we ignore the fact that basing everything on interpretive dance looks idiotic. In the only scene involving Earthbenders, they're all hideously underpowered, since it takes about six of them to throw a single small rock at an enemy. Meanwhile, the Waterbending powers are apparently all fueled by the moon. What. What does the moon have to do with anything!? I'm told by someone who watched the series that it's because the moon controls the tides, and when I objected that that made no sense either, I was told that it made more sense in the cartoon - but even if it did, the tide thing was never even mentioned, so in the movie it was just something completely arbitrary and nonsensical.

Aang's broken water powers seemed rather out-of-place; I had thought that the point of being able to use every element was to have high versatility and the other standard Jack-of-all-trades perks, not to only use one element in any given fight - which is what he does - but to be obscenely overpowered in whatever element is being used. And I do mean "obscenely overpowered" when I say it; every fight involving him is a curb-stomp battle, and none looks even remotely challenging.

And what's with all the emoness? Zuko spends the entire film slitting his own wrists, while Aang is some brick with no personality who spends his whole time Not Smiling and having flashbacks. Does every important member of the cast need to spend every single second brooding? Nobody else in the cast even does much of anything - least of all the girl and the guy from the southern waterbenders who follow Aang around and never do a bloody thing. (The girl's biggest scene is the one where she fights Zuko, by which I mean she lets Zuko throw fireballs at her without counterattacking and then gets taken out in one hit.) And they certainly don't have personalities of any sort. Nobody in the entire movie does, except Zuko, whose personality is so one-dimensional and annoying that I wish he were just an inhuman brick like everyone else.

To top it all off, in a reversal of M. Night Shyamalan's standard practice of ending with an idiotic twist, nothing even remotely surprising occurs in the movie. The only two "twists" - that one temple is a trap and the blue guy is Zuko - were so obvious that I called them both as soon, respectively, as that temple was mentioned and that blue guy showed up, as should anyone else with a functioning brain who has ever seen a movie before. All of this occurs well before the ending, which is about as mind-numbing as it gets: the hero gets more superpowers and wins. The end.

I seriously fail to see why we should sympathize with Zuko over that other guy he dislikes who's played by that guy from the Daily Show. Daily Show Guy is a highly-effective leader who successfully immobilizes Aang and would have won the war right there were it not for Zuko's betrayal of him and his nation, while Zuko just sits around crying all day, sabotaging his own side and refusing to learn from his mistakes (IMMOBILIZE HIM YOU FOOL). There's a line at the end about how Zuko has Zuko's Uncle on his side, which makes Daily Show Guy inferior because he doesn't rely on others or something... except that's complete rubbish since Daily Show Guy commands an entire army and captured Aang by working with others to set a trap, and it was stated about two lines beforehand that Zuko and his uncle couldn't challenge Daily Show Guy in combat because his army made them hideously outnumbered. But for some reason we're supposed to side with Zuko, so Daily Show Guy is unceremoniously executed by four Waterbenders without even trying to put up a fight; he literally just stands there and lets himself die.

This whole mess had no redeeming qualities and none of you should go to see it.

Archived