The Last Airbender... Racist?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean crab' date=' but Avatar was made in america,

[/quote']

Curses, foiled again. After all, there aren't any Asians in America. And there certainly aren't any dark-skinned ones. Especially not ones from the Daily Show.

OOOH OOOH its funny because there are Asians in America and ones from the Daily Show, OOOHHH

[/quote']

Curses, foiled again. After all, there aren't any Asians in America. And there certainly aren't any dark-skinned ones. Especially not ones from the Daily Show.

OOOH OOOH its funny because there are Asians in America and ones from the Daily Show, OOOHHH

It's relevant because that Indian guy from the Daily Show whose name I don't remember plays the part of that Fire Nation guy whose name I don't remember in The Last Airbender, which proves that Shyamalan not only had access to Asians but also had access to dark-skinned Asians.

Aasif Mandvi played Zhao.

Keep in mind that Shyamalan himself is a dark-skinned Asian, and is known for attempting to make him the messiah in Lady in the Water. Furthermore, the character Shyamalan actually loved (The Kiyoshi Warriors) were cut out of the film precisely because he liked them, and he was worried they'd overtake the film. Shyamalan's heart wasn't even in the film.

Aasif Mandvi played Zhao.

Yeah' date=' those guys.

Keep in mind that Shyamalan himself is a dark-skinned Asian, and is known for attempting to make him the messiah in Lady in the Water.

Heh, I'd forgotten that Shyamalan is considers himself an actor.

Furthermore' date=' the character Shyamalan actually loved (The Kiyoshi Warriors) were cut out of the film precisely because he liked them, and he was worried they'd overtake the film. Shyamalan's heart wasn't even in the film.

[/quote']

With a script like this, how could anyone's heart be in it?

[/quote']

It's relevant because that Indian guy from the Daily Show whose name I don't remember plays the part of that Fire Nation guy whose name I don't remember in The Last Airbender, which proves that Shyamalan not only had access to Asians but also had access to dark-skinned Asians.

I have access to black people, I should probably make the next friday movie

ummm... for the record, the dude who plays zuko is the director................. he's an idiot, who sued james cameron over the title of the movie "Avatar" even though james cameron announced he was making a movie called avatar well over 12 years ago, long before the anime was created. M. Night Shamalamading dong has never made a good movie. Ever. And i call him shamalamading dong cause i can't remember how to spell his name T_T He's directed signs, unbreakable, lady in the water, etc. Do I need to continue with the list of horrors? The only one that people argue that was good that was made by him was the sixth sense. That's the one where the kid says "I see dead pickles." Or was it dead people? I personally think that one was terrible as well. He has no taste and is as egotistical as mel gibson, and always has to put himself in roles of importance. Ok, maybe mel can sometimes act, sometimes, but lets face it. this dude sucks, big time.

ummm... for the record' date=' [b']the dude who plays zuko is the director[/b]................. he's an idiot, who sued james cameron over the title of the movie "Avatar" even though james cameron announced he was making a movie called avatar well over 12 years ago, long before the anime was created. M. Night Shamalamading dong has never made a good movie. Ever. And i call him shamalamading dong cause i can't remember how to spell his name T_T He's directed signs, unbreakable, lady in the water, etc. Do I need to continue with the list of horrors? The only one that people argue that was good that was made by him was the sixth sense. That's the one where the kid says "I see dead pickles." Or was it dead people? I personally think that one was terrible as well. He has no taste and is as egotistical as mel gibson, and always has to put himself in roles of importance. Ok, maybe mel can sometimes act, sometimes, but lets face it. this dude sucks, big time.

No, Zuko was played by Dev Patel aka Slumdog Millionaire. Get facts straight dood.

James Cameron was actually the one who threatened to sue Avatar, and Nickelodeon actually would have won the lawsuit because it's illegal to trademark a title. From what I've heard, Unbreakable is at least alright. I personally see nothing wrong with a director putting themselves in the film, only Shyamalan does it wrong. Excluding Lady in the Water, just how has he put himself in so many important roles?

There's a difference between hating a movie just because you obviously aren't even trying to care and hating a movie because it really does suck, and you seem to be in the former group.

Wasn't Shyamalan in The Village?

I usually don't like to see things fail, but I hope this movie crashes and burns. I don't want him to make any sequels to it. The only hope for any Avatar movies is with animated features, maybe with 3D CGI. Or get actors that actually look like the characters and a faithful script.

Idea: get Zach Snyder on the job. Watchmen was fantastic. Just have him not do too much slow motion.

ok, if you want reasons to why these movies suck, i can give you my reasons. I would be more than happy to open up a separate thread to discuss this. main reason why i didn't put why i dislike these movies and why they suck was because it would have been overcrowded spam. Also, in every single one of his movies BESIDES last airbender (thanks for those corrections, it was 3 in the morning, and my brain was about dead) he always places himself in a role that isn't the main character, but furthers the plot by doing something or another. I'm not saying that a director placing himself in the movie is a bad thing, but I kind of think that it's a bit egotistical when the character attempts to place himself in the most important roles they can actually play. but seriously, if you really want me to list the reasons of why m. night shyamalan's movies suck, then I would be more than happy to do so on another thread.

He directed (chronologically):

The last Airbender

The Happening

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

The Sixth Sense

Wide Awake

Praying with Anger

main reason why i didn't put why i dislike these movies and why they suck was because it would have been overcrowded spam.

Randomly coming in and saying some movies suck? Perfectly valid. Providing actual reasons? ZOMG SPAM

Also' date=' in every single one of his movies BESIDES last airbender (thanks for those corrections, it was 3 in the morning, and my brain was about dead) he always places himself in a role that isn't the main character, but furthers the plot by doing something or another. I'm not saying that a director placing himself in the movie is a bad thing, but I kind of think that it's a bit egotistical when the character attempts to place himself in the most important roles they can actually play.

[/quote']

Now that's just false. Lady in the Water notwithstanding, his roles are generally little more than cameos.

but seriously' date=' if you really want me to list the reasons of why m. night shyamalan's movies suck, then I would be more than happy to do so on another thread.

[/quote']

"In this thread, however, I will simply whine about how unfair it is of everyone to expect me to justify my claims."

main reason why i didn't put why i dislike these movies and why they suck was because it would have been overcrowded spam.

Randomly coming in and saying some movies suck? Perfectly valid. Providing actual reasons? ZOMG SPAM

I simply felt that the reasons weren't fit to the discussion. the discussion is the last airbender' date=' not lady in the water, or signs, or unbreakable. Simply stating my opinion of the director and the eggs that he has laid follows with this thread, as i'm not specifically addressing his movies, but the director himself and his history of film making.[/b']

Also' date=' in every single one of his movies BESIDES last airbender (thanks for those corrections, it was 3 in the morning, and my brain was about dead) he always places himself in a role that isn't the main character, but furthers the plot by doing something or another. I'm not saying that a director placing himself in the movie is a bad thing, but I kind of think that it's a bit egotistical when the character attempts to place himself in the most important roles they can actually play.

[/quote']

Now that's just false. Lady in the Water notwithstanding, his roles are generally little more than cameos.

How so? In signs, he uses his character to attempt to establish that the aliens are hostile. He stabbed it and locked it in his pantry. He says the alien has murderous intent, and he's the character who fell asleep at the wheel and killed mel gibson's wife, and mel gibson is having trouble forgiving him. And his character is a priest, is he not? Why is a priest married in the first place. They're not supposed to be.

In unbreakable, he is a drug dealer who is at the stadium, and bruce willis chases him down, and this helps bruce willis realize that, zomg, he's invincible! he has appearances similar to these in most of his movies.

but seriously' date=' if you really want me to list the reasons of why m. night shyamalan's movies suck, then I would be more than happy to do so on another thread.

[/quote']

"In this thread, however, I will simply whine about how unfair it is of everyone to expect me to justify my claims."

I'm not whining, i'm stating my opinion. As I have said, if you would like me to vocalize actual reasons, I can make another thread that is actually relevant to M. Night's movies as a whole, and not be posting something in a thread that is talking about The Last Airbender and M. Night, and not his career as a whole. If anyone is whining, it's you. You accuse me of being whiny, when i clearly stated that if you want me to list legitimate reasons for why I dislike his movies, I will be more than happy to point out the areas where there is problems in a different thread where the discussion belongs. Seriously, this is about the last airbender. And since M. Night directed it, I stated my opinion of his work. opinions of all of his work as a whole belong in a thread about the career of M. Night

If it makes you happy, I don't think M. Night is racist, I think he tried the best he could............

Or maybe Shyamalan was trying his best and he just sucks at making movies.

Also: In this topic, rhstanley3 justifies his refusal to support his drive-by comments with giant bold wall-of-text quote pyramids several times longer than his support probably is. That's really all I need to know about rhstanley3.

XD Fail. Trying to talk back to somebody far smarter than you doesn't really work when you spell his name wrong.

ON-TOPIC: The Last Airbender- where all the Tibetan and Inuit people are white and all of the Japanese are Indian. Part of me wants to see a sequel if only to see who Shyamalan casts as the Chinese.

XD Fail. Trying to talk back to somebody far smarter than you doesn't really work when you spell his name wrong.

ON-TOPIC: The Last Airbender- where all the Tibetan and Inuit people are white and all of the Japanese are Indian. Part of me wants to see a sequel if only to see who Shyamalan casts as the Chinese.

1. See its funny because Crab Hammer aliterates with Crab Helmet.

2. Martians.

3. Something involving rhstanley3 v. Crab Helmet' date=' probably humorous. Speaking of which rhstanley, the more you argue with Crab, the more you become in danger of becoming the next [s']Pichu[/s] C-4. Take a deep breath, post your reasons if you want, read some Foe Fiction, and become another member of her blind worshipers.

Archived