The Last Airbender... Racist?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ong"' date=' "Sohka", and "Eeroh".

[/quote']

The argument that they tried to make the names more realistic might fly if the original series had gotten everything wrong in the first place, but the show was overall quality and did a lot of work to make sure things were accurately portrayed, and had a lot of real world cultural references included in it throughout its run. Whether the names are actually pronounced like that in real life I don't know; I'd assumed they were made up in the first place. The movie saying the names using supposedly more accurate pronunciation conventions is crap, because at the same time they chose to destroy all other references to real world culture the show used.

And as far as I'm concerned, the show (source material) is #1 in determining how anything should be conveyed at all. From what I've heard, the movie also fuc*ed up Firebending and Earthbending.

I didn't see them do anything with Earthbending, but it only appeared once. I do recall in the opening (You know, the "Water", "Fire", "Earth", "Air" etc.), it seemed to last twice as long, as each bender seemed tp have to do twice as many random acrobatics to do the exact same simple bending.

The names I can't speak to, seeing as I don't know...anything about Chinese. Are they actually going with Chinese here?

I find it curious that the movie is 104 minutes instead of 120. That would be 16 minutes of non-exposition!

It was originally 136 minutes but paramount forced M. Night to remove the sixteen minute Earthbending scenes

the acting was horrible(exept for maybe zuko and sokka) but of course the acting will suck if the kid portrying aang was random kid they found off the net! i mean christ and they completely destroyed the story, weres jet, weres haru, were bato and hakota, weres june, weres bumi, and more importantly were are the kyoshi warriors and and most important of all WERE WAS AVATAR ROKU!!!!??????

i also hate the fact that the guy playing ozi looks weak. i mean in the seires, ozi was ripped, but this guy looks like he could just be shoved off the throne. and what up with azula, that girl playing her wasnt psycopath just some gigglin little b*^%$. also aang didnt turn into giant spirit koy man. also sokka was not a comic releaf character he was way to serious along with iroh. they only referece appa and momo for like 10 min all together and what was the deal with the ending. i mean the whole thing felt like dragonball evelotion all over again. if he makes book 2 here are some things id like 2 c: tylee and mai acting like in the seires, toph being blind and a kickass earthbender with adittude, the introduction of lightning bending, the whole ba sing se story, appa being taken by sand benders, long feing and the dai lee, and zuko trying to come to terms with himself. but thats not going 2 happen unless m. night listens 2 the creators and the fans. in my opinion this movie would have been better if a bunch of cosplayers with a adobe studio and photoshop along with some movie maker programs and a camcorder or digital camera with a video setting made it.........seriuosly!

man it felt good to vent all that......whoo.

i hope book 2 is cooler then book one do you agree :) i hope they do not mess up Toph's character.toph i the tomboy like in the group.do you agree :) lol the wrong part of the movie is he was talking to the dragon.and the cartoon he was talking to his past life.lol what up with that <_<

Actor Sokka looks like Sokka and sounds vocally like Sokka from what little I've heard.

Actor Katara is just as preachy and full of hope as her cartoon counterpart. The girl sounds a little like her

I'm glad they did what they did with Aang's arrow's and detailed the hell out of it, because it honestly would just look cheesy if it was a blue line of paint on his body. The only thing I find bad about Aang is that from what I've seen so far, he's too serious and not that goofy little kid from Season 1. That's a minor complaint btw.

Actor Zuko has that same vengeance and determination in his eyes that his cartoon counterpart has. Dev Patel is a critically acclaimed actor, so I think he'll do well. Damn, that eye looks burnt as hell. Good job team.

I don't really care about the ethnicity or whatever of the characters, as long as they can get the personality down as perfectly as possible, I'll support. It's all down to the actors for me. Iroh, Zuko, and Sokka have the biggest pressure for me in this movie. Sokka has to be the funny, sarcastic, meat loving, buttmonkkey. Iroh has to be the tea drinking, wise talking, humble elder. He's not fat either, so he'll have to really act his way out of this one. Zuko has to have that 'I must capture the Avatar to restore my honor' type of mentality in this movie for it to work.

If they mess up Toph's character in the next movie, I'm done. I'm not talking about ethnic wise either. I can live with whatever ethnicity they put Toph as, but if they mess up her personality or her actor can't act, I'm through.

i agree with you some of the characters in the movie do match the cartoon.

Archived