The Last Airbender... Racist?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoshIcy

Here's a post I made on another site and Im sure I'm late to the Game but...

Watched this today. Much to my boredom and dismay.

It's not AS BAD as people say it is, some elements in the movie are actually better (like how the Air Nomads were wiped off) and how they used Air Bending as picking up the excess material in the area to visualize it (noticed how it changed based on the area?). So they had very few things done right. Irou also came off as an uncle, but too young of one.

The consistencies in the races played are also a plus, but barely that (mostly due to the fact that almost ALL the Fire Nation actors have played in comedies and I expected them to flip out and offer Aang some drugs- Geez, Ozai is the International Correspondent Actor for The Stephen Colbert Show).

It also seems almost exclusively tailored towards the Mass Audiences rather than the fans. This causes some problems (you can tell clearly that this was aimed at the General Populace instead; due to the pronunciations being more English) and in many aspects this is actually a GOOD thing.

The problem here then, lies not in the movie design but rather the actors and cultural presenation (iirc Zuko wore traditional fire nation outfit only once he was in that cave with the fishes). The acting was so terrible that I caught myself laughing a few times at it and I NEVER do that. The outfits seemed like hang-me downs from other movies and pieced together. And yeah...

Unfortunately that flaw is what utterly destroys the movie =/

Well, I wouldn't say it is completely racist. But yeah, they did not cast enough East Asian people to follow the anime/show.

I watched the entire anime/show on Nick, and it is in my top three or four Nickelodeon shows. So I obviously liked it.

I watched the first movie, and I hated it. I'd rather re-watch the entire first season than watch the movie.

So, I'm not seeing the other two. Case closed.

This is how you should do a compilation movie. Watch Eden of the East and Gurren Lagann. Each of these have compilation movies, Air Communication, Gurren-hen, and Lagann-hen. Study how these films compile the series into the films, remove completely pointless episodes such as The Great Divide, and you'll have the movie you should get.

Alright, I have officially seen the movie. And...IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!

Kidding.

The humor of the show is gone. Now, one of my criticisms of the show was that it didn't take itself seriously enough, but there's a difference between taking yourself seriously and pleasuring yourself with melodrama. Huge amounts of the show were cut, but that's to be expected. There were about 20 episodes in the first season, so that totals to about 400 minutes, or close to 7 hours of footage, which had to be condensed into 2 hours, and was instead condensed into 1 hour 40 minutes.

Acting was...abysmal. I mean, the only one who knew how to act was the fellow who played Iroh (sorry, I don't pay attention to actors' names), who had the misfortune of not looking...anything like Iroh.

The fighting choreography was...well, as far as I know, it was accurate and what-not, but it totally didn't match up with their bending. They just sort of go..."whijooneeeyoohaaaaawhichiwichiwhichiwooooooooo...pow!" and they move a peebble. While we're on the subject of bending, everyone's aware that Firebenders can no longer spontaneously create fire, which was an awful mistake - Firebending already seemed like a poor fight when compared to Airbenders or Earthbenders. No they're just pathetic. I mean, fire doesn't grow on trees, so everybody lights fires and candles and such whenever possible. Of course, a few characters can create fire purely from their chi to fix that.

The special effects were excellent, and there were plenty of great setpieces. The camera stuff was a joke. It seemed to be attempting to emulate The Matrix, or maybe Michael Bay, except quite possibly worse. It seems to be attempting a new camera technique where they have a panoramic or semi-panoramic scene and zooming in on exciting bits before zooming back out. It...doesn't work. Then, the one place that relies on a well-designed set more than anything else, it falls flat. No, not the North Pole - I mean the Fire Nation. It seems to be a plain of grass with some buildings around. And the Firelord's throne room? You remember it in the show? It was pretty awesome: it was a high-vaulted chamber, and the Firelord sat on a raised throne behind a veil of fire. Here, he seems to lord over some sort of rock garden or something.

I should have some sort of good conclusion to this, but I don't, particularly since I'm not paying much attention to writing this.

tl;dr It sucked.

"Ong"' date=' "Sohka", and "Eeroh".

[/quote']

The argument that they tried to make the names more realistic might fly if the original series had gotten everything wrong in the first place, but the show was overall quality and did a lot of work to make sure things were accurately portrayed, and had a lot of real world cultural references included in it throughout its run. Whether the names are actually pronounced like that in real life I don't know; I'd assumed they were made up in the first place. The movie saying the names using supposedly more accurate pronunciation conventions is crap, because at the same time they chose to destroy all other references to real world culture the show used.

And as far as I'm concerned, the show (source material) is #1 in determining how anything should be conveyed at all. From what I've heard, the movie also fuc*ed up Firebending and Earthbending.

"Ong"' date=' "Sohka", and "Eeroh".

[/quote']

The argument that they tried to make the names more realistic might fly if the original series had gotten everything wrong in the first place, but the show was overall quality and did a lot of work to make sure things were accurately portrayed, and had a lot of real world cultural references included in it throughout its run. Whether the names are actually pronounced like that in real life I don't know; I'd assumed they were made up in the first place. The movie saying the names using supposedly more accurate pronunciation conventions is crap, because at the same time they chose to destroy all other references to real world culture the show used.

And as far as I'm concerned, the show (source material) is #1 in determining how anything should be conveyed at all. From what I've heard, the movie also fuc*ed up Firebending and Earthbending.

I didn't see them do anything with Earthbending, but it only appeared once. I do recall in the opening (You know, the "Water", "Fire", "Earth", "Air" etc.), it seemed to last twice as long, as each bender seemed tp have to do twice as many random acrobatics to do the exact same simple bending.

The names I can't speak to, seeing as I don't know...anything about Chinese. Are they actually going with Chinese here?

I find it curious that the movie is 104 minutes instead of 120. That would be 16 minutes of non-exposition!

Archived