Spriters Society

Jappio

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not all Pokemon are based on Japanese subculture. In fact I do believe Jynx is based off of some type of ice queen. At least I think I heard somewhere that she is based off of a Nordic ice queen or something.

Oh and Brandon, don't' worry too much. Sprites are just an all time low popularity, not to mention most people don't give CnC in general on this site, hence why I made it a rule here =P

[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1288038720' post='4736226']
Not all Pokemon are based on Japanese subculture. In fact I do believe Jynx is based off of some type of ice queen. At least I think I heard somewhere that she is based off of a Nordic ice queen or something.

Oh and Brandon, don't' worry too much. Sprites are just an all time low popularity, not to mention most people don't give CnC in general on this site, hence why I made it a rule here =P
[/quote]

Jynx's looks are based on a japanese subculture where women straiten and bleach their hair, wear heavy make up, and thick lipstick and pucker their lips
Smoochem is like a younger version
I might change it up, use a gothic lolita style or something rather than the original (which the exact name escapes me at this point for no reason other than I want to remember it...)

I just made a splice...Made from gyarados, steelix and venomoth...It is called, "Venodosix"
I used gyarados's head and tail fin...Steelix's tail and colour scheme...And venomoth's head thing...
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/518/venodosix.png[/img]
I did recolour some of it, but i gave up recolouring the boarders... If anyone would recolour the boarders i would deeply appreciate it.. Also jappio, I find splicing easier now thanks to you, i now can recolour easier, and put parts on easier(thanks to transparent selection)!
Shradow i really like that latest splcie of yours, i dont know what the things you used to make it are from, all i know is that it doesnt look spliced. It looks like a full sprite. the right arm seems a bit, wierd though, almost, as if its uncomftorble...

A kirby Splice? Perhaps someting involving Dedede? Maybe throw in some Kracko? The two are pretty cool doods afterall.

The Jynx debate I guess doesn't really have an answer. Some people think it's a black-face parody. Some just think it's the Ganguro look in Japan. Some think it's a Nordic woman like Hel. Some think it has something to do with various Japanese spirits. So there are a few options if you are looking to do an Evo.

Uggg.... unrecolored borders make me cry T_T

Oh god... it is a balloon or something akin. I too thought it was made of something tougher. I mean the show always made it seem like it had sufficient mass, and it's texture implies something tougher.

I thought Jynx was supposed to be a black person? They had to change it slightly because that problem came up, so I was thinking that's what it might have been it. It says something about it in it's Bulbapedia page. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jynx_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Kracko is a cool dude. I'll do something with him, thanks for the idea.

wow, lots of people have problems with pokemon XD on bulbapedia, it says a parent set up a website "pokemon kills" because her son sufficated to death on half of a toy pokeball from burger king XD....And animal cruelty accusations from people saying pokemon battles are like "cock fights"...some crazy people out there...

[quote name='-:=Brandon=:-' timestamp='1288102910' post='4738832']
wow, lots of people have problems with pokemon XD on bulbapedia, it says a parent set up a website "pokemon kills" because her son sufficated to death on half of a toy pokeball from burger king XD....And animal cruelty accusations from people saying pokemon battles are like "cock fights"...some crazy people out there...
[/quote]
It's funny to see people on all sides of the political spectrum act like jackasses when it concerns this particular franchise
Also
I've started up my copy of Heart Gold (a month after 100%ing SS) I'm taking suggestions on nicknames and teams. I'm currently at the hidden Team Rocket base at 18 hours (i'm getting rusty...)

Suggestions on teams? Use the Togepi you got from the egg. Togepi is awshum. Also, get a Shedinja. Those are cool, too.

EDIT: New splice. I mixed Kracko from Kracko's Revenge and Masked Dedede (well, his mask and hammer at least). How can a giant black cloud wielding two giant electric hammers not look awesome?
[img]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8287/maskedkracko.png[/img]
I call him Masked Kracko.

Brandon, that splice looks mismatched, but only in the colors. It's mostly metallic, so you should've made the head, crest, and tail look metallic to match.

no i mean about your ss and hg copy or something? whats that about?
the colours were from steelix, the headpiece and tail where mettalic? i thought the head was only not metallic.
Shradow, i think the main body looks awesome, but the hammers dont seem to match that well =/ but then again, i only have knowledge of pokemon splices :D

[center][quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1287455025' post='4716851']
[img]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8758/simibrojr.png[/img]
[/quote]

The hat looks sort of orange, even though the robe looks more red.

This one is a pretty even mix, but something about mixing these small guys just never seems to work. I want to say it's the size that make their mixing undewhelming. Even if you know the Kirby Series, you look at them and you don't see anything that seems special. Not really something I think you can control though, more so I'm just ranting about the general style of smaller splicing.

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1287607647' post='4721069']
[img]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/5945/tacknight.png[/img]
[/quote]

This guy is actually pretty cool. I like some of the subtle additions, like the bag design being on the spike ball, and the cat ears melded with the hat.

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1287952757' post='4733036']
[img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2514/metapaladin.png[/img]
[/quote]

At a glance, this just looks like a capeless MetaKnight. The sword also doesn't fit right, it looks like it's pointing at a different angle than what I believe you were going for.

[quote name='-:=Brandon=:-' timestamp='1288042987' post='4736542']
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/518/venodosix.png[/img]
[/quote]

I've already commented on how I hate unrecolored borders. It isn't something you should just skip because you're lazy. It's very important.

Past that though, it's time to talk to you about textures. Textures in sprites are generally what tell us what something is made of. Shading and outline are generally how they are shown. Basically, you can look at steelix and tell its made of steel. You can look at Gharados and tell its made of scales.

In your splice, you should have done a little texture mimicry. You should have altered the the head of Gharados to look metallic. Look at how Steelix is normall colored, and apply that to the head. A few bright areas on the top, some darker areas near the bottom.

I'm not going to say it's easy, but it's something you'll need to do if you want your splices to look good. Splicing is about blending two things together. If you don't do what you can to make the parts match, people will tell they are just a bunch of random pieces scrapped together.

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1288140044' post='4740589']
[img]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8287/maskedkracko.png[/img]
[/quote]

This just looked weird looking at it. The black bordered by white just looks weird. I get that's one of the sprites in game, but there it was because it was charging up an electrical attack. It doesn't help you have little bits of black border around the white either.

Te spikes are coming out at odd angles too. They shouldn't be curving towards us so much, Kracko sprites are pretty straight out generally.

The hammers look weird too. I know it isn't a Pokemon sprite, but the copy flip of it still looks odd. Same issue as the spikes I'm thinking. Kracko is faced right at us, but the hammers have a twist to them.[/center]

Wow, thanks to you being so active Shradow, it almost looks like I'm picking on you =P

-----------------------------------------------------

New Pokeworld video. Not much more to say than that I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8bZsZvboA

I know Meta Knight's sword arm looks kinda wierd, but I just copied his pose, hand, sword, all of it, and put it underneat the shoulderpad. If it looks awkward, that's because the original sprite was awkward.

And Brandon, the hammer is coated in electricity with that sprite, seeing as he's a giant cloud who shoots lightning, I think it fits.

And it's not problem being active, spriting is fun. (Now I need a new franchise... Thinking of trying FF sprites...)

Archived