Twilight sucks?

.Frostpaw

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My sister is obsessed with Twilight. She goes on and on about Edward, Jasper, and Jacob. I finally gave in and read it. I was a little surprised, I was expecting horrible work, but it was decent. Just decent, not great nor horrible. I liked the storyline, I just wish some elements weren't in the book. And I hated the love triangle between Edward/Bella/Jacob, it just got so annoying after the first chapter of it. I also hated the vampires, they need to be blood-sucking creatures, not sparkling creatures. I admit, I liked the werewolves, but I couldn't stand the vampires.

So, in my honest opinion, Twilight's decent. It defiantly isn't how good the hardcore Twilight fans think it is and I don't think it should be considered the greatest book of all-time. Especially since it ruined vampires. Twilight = decent, vampires = suck. Just in my opinion, of course.

[quote name='Cаtmаn' timestamp='1293206115' post='4880396']
How many people here have actually read Twilight?
[/quote]
Me. And every book that followed.

[quote name='xNightshadex' timestamp='1293213804' post='4880864']
My sister is obsessed with Twilight. She goes on and on about Edward, Jasper, and Jacob. I finally gave in and read it. I was a little surprised, I was expecting horrible work, but it was decent. Just decent, not great nor horrible. I liked the storyline, I just wish some elements weren't in the book. And I hated the love triangle between Edward/Bella/Jacob, it just got so annoying after the first chapter of it. I also hated the vampires, they need to be blood-sucking creatures, not sparkling creatures. I admit, I liked the werewolves, but I couldn't stand the vampires.

So, in my honest opinion, Twilight's decent. It defiantly isn't how good the hardcore Twilight fans think it is and I don't think it should be considered the greatest book of all-time. Especially since it ruined vampires. Twilight = decent, vampires = suck. Just in my opinion, of course.
[/quote]
By the standards of the literature we're receiving these days, I suppose it is "decent". But there's plenty of excellent out in the world. *cough*thehungergames*cough*

EDIT: I'm thinking about trying my hand at it someday. I'm writing something right now that in some ways is like the relationship between vampire and human...probably won't ever end up on YCM. Don't even know why I mentioned it.

[quote name='rotfl' timestamp='1294104882' post='4910185']
people flame those members because twilight isn't 'cool' and they want to act 'cool' for the 6-star members. from what i can tell.
[/quote]
Yes, all the people that dislike Twilight are YCM members attempting to look cool for YCM 6-star members and mods. I can't believe you found out.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1294106045' post='4910229']
Yes, all the people that dislike Twilight are YCM members attempting to look cool for YCM 6-star members and mods. I can't believe you found out.
[/quote]
that was what i did when i was on serebii for awhile... if not that, then why are you mean to other members?

Pika said it best
[quote=PikaPerson01]
It romanticizes disturbing behaviour like stalking, suicide, misogyny, and pedophilia, giving readers an unrealistic and downright frightening idea of what love is.
[/quote]

That is why it's a horrible series.

I also think cracked did a great job in why the books should be burned.

Me: ...
People who don't care: ... *walks away*
Twilight Fans: OMG EDWARD IS SO HOT!!!
People who try to defend the series: Wow, why do so many people hate on Twilight, it's not THAT bad. Alot of people like it, and it's popular. So suck it trolls!
People who hate the series: It sucks because... *awkward silence*
Critics: The movie sucks because the acting is horrid, the plot is stupid, the characters are cliched and emo, they're all pansies, Vampires don't sparkle (have you read an actual vampire book?), f*** the series.
Twilight Fans: *still all over how hot every single guy who takes off his shirt in Twilight is*
People who hate the series: WIKI IT! VAMPIRES SET A FLAME! THEY DON'T FREAKIN' SPARKLE!
Me: ... *goes on YCM*
Twilight Fans: Yeah, well it's the author's (don't know her name, don't wanna) interpretation of vampires!
People who hate the series: WELL HER INTERPRETATION IS WRONG! BECAUSE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE! and they're not emo and they don't have love-hate relationships. They suck blood, they're strong, they burn under sun, they turn into a bat, and they don't like wine.
Twilight Fans: *rubbing it to the movie*
Kid's Choice Awards/Teen's Choice Awards: *awards Twilight with numerous amount of unrealistic awards*

And what did all the prove? Absolutely nothing. Except for the fact that Twilight fans are a bunch of premature little girls who do nothing but rub it over man breasts and whine about how it's Meyer's own interpretation and People Who Hate Twilight aren't giving enough reason why Twilight should be banned from Canada. Now go do some research, come back, both sides, with a list of reasons why it sucks and why it's good and Canada will be saved while the US (i'm not from Canada) burns and is rebuilt into a society of people who aren't idiots.

[quote name='rotfl' timestamp='1294106452' post='4910244']
that was what i did when i was on serebii for awhile... if not that, then why are you mean to other members?
[/quote]
That level of conformity scares me.

I'm mean to other members because:

1. It compensates for the fact that I'm a friendless weeabo who will soon die from lack of social stimulation.
2. It's the Internet. If you aren't unnecessarily rude to people, you're doing it wrong.
3. ur mom
4. I am expressing genuine shock as how to these people consider the human race to be in some way more enlightened than apes.

[quote name='Canine' timestamp='1293155203' post='4878672']
Unlike some dumbfucks here, [b]I don't think vampires should only be featured in horror novels.[/b]
Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Great opinion! Unfortunatley, Canine, the reason we're conglomerated here is to make noteworthy of the fact that Twatlight sucked BECAUSE it wasn't a horror novel. See what happens when people try to be too creative? Stephanie wrote a girl-only book that sucked as a whole because the vampire's name in horror was replaced by lovey-dovey "I will nevew leab joor side, Bwella..." loserdom. Like I said before. 10 years before, a persons reaction to vampires was hiding under your bed, praying that God would abolish the demons from your midst. Ask any teen today what vampires are. "Oh my GOD! I wish I could date a vampire! Sooo cute!"

The only vampires that broke away a bit from tradition but was still a regular interpretted vampire were "The Lost Boys".
THEY DID NOT SPARKLE IN THE SUN, however, THEY DID NOT TURN INTO ASH (as lore has it). They undergo extreme pain until they are concealed from the shade. They loved no one, they feared no one, and that's as far as I'd go with vampires away from Dracula and Nosferatu.

Werewolves have a better media reputation than the prissy vampires. They are still bloodthristy animals who undergo a gruesome transformation into wolf form under the full moon (that's right, Meyer. You haven't BEGUN to hurt the wolf.) Movies like The Wolfman portray them as they are; mortal men with normal routines infected with a werewolf's bite. They don't want to transform, they lose their minds, eat and maim and destroy until sun-up. Tradition is good.

[quote name='Some Guy in a Whambulance' timestamp='1294437009' post='4918229']
Great opinion! Unfortunatley, Canine, the reason we're conglomerated here is to make noteworthy of the fact that Twatlight sucked BECAUSE it wasn't a horror novel.
[/quote]
I honestly disagree with this. The reason the Twilight series is so horrible is because of how badly written the characters are and the message the books send to the readers, who are mostly girls in there young teens.

Really, even if the series followed close to vampire lore, such as Vamps not being able to go out in the sun, the series would still be horrible. It is possible to write a good Vampire book and not have it be a horror novel.

[quote name='Canine' timestamp='1293155203' post='4878672']
What I can't express my opinion that Twilight's a good series? You have your opinions, I have mine. I don't think Twilight is a cliche that ruined the vampire status. Unlike some dumbfucks here, I don't think vampires should only be featured in horror novels.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]
So I was thinking to myself, 'i am so replying to this trololololol'. And then I thought, I will give my opinion on this comment.
I believe, that well written characters, a good plot, etc, etc cannot be opinion but only fact. You just THINK that it's well written, etc, etc, but facing reality is a hard thing, and when the majority of the population and the majority of the major critics out there say it's a bad book, and the only back-up you have is an overly sized population of pre-teen girls at your disposal, I highily doubt you have yourself an arguement.
So in conclusion? I dunno. It's right there.
*turns on nerd voice* herr herr IT'S MY OPINION TROLLS (goes to wikipedia and looks up definition of trolls and doesn't reply after)

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1294446425' post='4918677']
The reason the Twilight series is so horrible is because of how badly written the characters are and the message the books send to the readers, who are mostly girls in there young teens.

Really, even if the series followed close to vampire lore, such as Vamps not being able to go out in the sun, the series would still be horrible. It is possible to write a good Vampire book and not have it be a horror novel.
[/quote]

QFT. There's nothing wrong with an unconventional view of supernatural creatures- and the sparkling actually kinda made sense to me. Through the eyes of an onlooker, a vampire suddenly bursting into bright light in the sun would seem to have been lit on fire. And if that vampire didn't immediately kill the onlooker, they may assume said vampire burned to ash; hence, the superstition vampires die in the sunlight. That's entirely fine. Innumerable other works have screwed with the basic premise of vampire lore before, and will again in the future- because literature is pretty good at -not- sticking to tradition. After all, traditions are just publicly accepted cliches. So I don't care if Twilight seemingly changes vampire lore.

I DO care, however, when the characters are plastic, the romance is mind-numbing and the general world is boring as all hell. Twilight is a bad series because Meyer is a horrendous writer, not because it looks at vampires differently.

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1294446425' post='4918677']
The reason the Twilight series is so horrible is because of how badly written the characters are and the message the books send to the readers, who are mostly girls in there young teens.
[/quote]
I agree with this statement also, but Twilight also had the faults stated in my previous rant.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Crab Helmet' timestamp='1282710636' post='4563349']
Not every opinion is worthy of equal respect. The concept of the equality of opinions is a lie embraced by those whose opinions are bad or who are too lazy or stupid to separate the good opinions from the bad ones.
[/quote]
Well, that's the 21st century media, I suppose. Though, I can still see what jAcEtHeMiNdScUlPtOr is getting at. In my opinion, if some people like it, that's fine, they can keep reading it. If you don't like it, then don't read it.
But, of course, that's not where the problem is. With particular help from the internet, it's easy for any person to claim that their opinion can rightly be taken as absolute fact and there are about as many, if not, more, people who will go on to 'prove' their opinion to be true.

Now, as I said, I see no problem with some people liking the books, as a simple form of entertainment since that is definately what it is, like several other novels published these days. Then again, just because you like it [i]doesn't mean you can go on to call it a literary masterpiece[/i].
I know that seems a rather back-handed comment, but the point is that things can go the other way. I've known people in my high school who tried to convince me that Twilight was spectacularly written and draws you in with it's *ahem* [s]appealing characters[/s]. Frankly, these characters are about as sympathetic and relatable as any average to sub-par TV drama series. And in context to the writing, it's a considerable step down from the likes of JK Rowling's Harry Potter series, and I'd consider that to belong in the same cart as Twilight, being also (at heart) just some light entertainment.

So, does Twilight suck? Well, I intended for my response to this to potentially be read as; "Well, yes but also, no..."
As said before, some people like it and others don't. Neither side, at any point, however, truely have the right to impose their opinion onto others just for the sake of convincing others.

Archived