Overpopulation

Masochistic Joker

Easy enough to understand. As our people grow more numerous our trees, crops, and animal ecosysems decrease so at one point we're all dead anyway. Not only does it cause the above but causes economic problems, increase in infectuous diseases and the ability to prolong wars. Now there have been those who have had ideas to prevent this/slow it down but Radical Christians and many other people desire for this to be illegal and currently one strategy is illegal and that is stem cell research. Now my idea is completely psychotic though logical if you share my thinking. Those with suicidal symptoms and are socially dangerous due to their "insanity" should have the option to allow their immediate death. Those included in the auto-death strategy would be those with no chances of living, those on death row, those with life in prison, the truly insane, the suicidal and finally those that want to be known as Patriots. Though this country follows the Christian ways. It is walking off this path due to the amount of biblical commands not being followed currently. Anyway discuss your thoughts on overpopulation and your ideas to solve this. As for me, I hope we have something similar to the bubonic plague.

[quote name='Masochistic Joker' timestamp='1299794810' post='5065090']
Easy enough to understand. As our people grow more numerous our trees, crops, and animal ecosysems decrease so at one point we're all dead anyway. Not only does it cause the above but causes economic problems, increase in infectuous diseases and the ability to prolong wars. Now there have been those who have had ideas to prevent this/slow it down but Radical Christians and many other people desire for this to be illegal and currently one strategy is illegal and that is stem cell research. Now my idea is completely psychotic though logical if you share my thinking. Those with suicidal symptoms and are socially dangerous due to their "insanity" should have the option to allow their immediate death. Those included in the auto-death strategy would be those with no chances of living, those on death row, those with life in prison, the truly insane, the suicidal and finally those that want to be known as Patriots. Though this country follows the Christian ways. It is walking off this path due to the amount of biblical commands not being followed currently. Anyway discuss your thoughts on overpopulation and your ideas to solve this. As for me, I hope we have something similar to the bubonic plague.
[/quote]
I just hope people learn to "Adopt" instead of have another baby...

No, i don't think your idea is logical at all.

While the destruction of the ecosystem is inevitable with human population rising it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the human race. New technology is being invented all the time, so even if many plants are gone for energy we could use solar power, for oxygen we could mass produce carbon scrubbers (what astronauts use), etc. Plus if life became less sustainable then the human population would decrease as a natural result.

Society has a greater chance to survive without your idea, but with your idea, the idea of humanity will be destroyed. You're pretty much killing off other people because they take up resources. Kill to survive, pretty much. So we're just animals.

P.S. I am curious to know how stem cell research is being "denied" by radical christians? Most support it as long as they are coming from the umbilical cord and not from a fetus.

I actually had a very good idea about overpopulation, and it could be applied in a time of large overpopulation; i.e., twenty or thirty years in the future. I haven't worked out all of the kinks, but it really is the only way if we don't create colonies on the moon.

Essentially, anyone over the age of eighteen gets a rank between one and ten. People under the age of eighteen that are in school are not given a number, people under the age of eighteen that are not in school are treated as if they were an unemployed adult, and people under the age of eighteen that are not in school because of a mental handicap or disability are given a number of three.

People over the age of eighteen that are enrolled in college are given a number of ten.

I'll explain the other numbers later.

Essentially, when we are at a large amount of overpopulation, we randomly kill people who have been given a number of one. Once the ones are all gone, we randomly kill people given the number two, and work our way up. By the time the ones, twos, threes, and fours are all gone, the world population won't be at risk of overpopulation, and the system can be abandoned.

Ones are people who are going to die of a terminal disease within five years.
Twos are people that have no education and are unemployed.
Threes are mentally handicapped people and people that have little education and are unemployed ("unemployed adults"), meaning they have not finished high school.
Fours are people who have a high school education, possibly a little college education, and are unemployed.
Fives are people that are currently working in a job that does not benefit society; gold miners, diamond cutters, et cetera, fall under this category.
Sixes are people that work in culture-related jobs; photographers, journalists, producers, et cetera, fall under this category.
Sevens are people that benefit society through machines; engineers would fall under this category.
Eights are people that directly help society; doctors, nurses, farmers, et cetera, fall under this category.
Nines are... I'm not sure.
Tens are college students.

There could be some fixes to this method, but the basic skeleton makes a lot of sense, and if we are in a crisis situation dealing with a lot of overpopulation, this method is viable.

[quote name='seattleite' timestamp='1299802086' post='5065354']
No, i don't think your idea is logical at all.

While the destruction of the ecosystem is inevitable with human population rising it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the human race. New technology is being invented all the time, so even if many plants are gone for energy we could use solar power, for oxygen we could mass produce carbon scrubbers (what astronauts use), etc. Plus if life became less sustainable then the human population would decrease as a natural result.

Society has a greater chance to survive without your idea, but with your idea, the idea of humanity will be destroyed. You're pretty much killing off other people because they take up resources. Kill to survive, pretty much. So we're just animals.

P.S. I am curious to know how stem cell research is being "denied" by radical christians? Most support it as long as they are coming from the umbilical cord and not from a fetus.
[/quote]
Radicals associate stem cell research with killing possible babies and playing god.

[quote name='Masochistic Joker' timestamp='1299803223' post='5065419']
Radicals associate stem cell research with killing possible babies and playing god.
[/quote]

Similar to how radicals associate masturbation with killing potential babies.

Then again, the key word is radicals.

Birth control policies.
(And even those may be considered unethical.)
[color="#FFFFFF"]Killing is bad. ;~;[/color]

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1299802734' post='5065390']
I actually had a very good idea about overpopulation, and it could be applied in a time of large overpopulation; i.e., twenty or thirty years in the future. I haven't worked out all of the kinks, but it really is the only way if we don't create colonies on the moon.

Essentially, anyone over the age of eighteen gets a rank between one and ten. People under the age of eighteen that are in school are not given a number, people under the age of eighteen that are not in school are treated as if they were an unemployed adult, and people under the age of eighteen that are not in school because of a mental handicap or disability are given a number of three.

People over the age of eighteen that are enrolled in college are given a number of ten.

Essentially, when we are at a large amount of overpopulation, we randomly kill people who have been given a number of one. Once the ones are all gone, we randomly kill people given the number two, and work our way up. By the time the ones, twos, threes, and fours are all gone, the world population won't be at risk of overpopulation, and the system can be abandoned.

Threes are mentally handicapped people and people that have little education and are unemployed ("unemployed adults"), meaning they have not finished high school.
Fours are people who have a high school education, possibly a little college education, and are unemployed.
Fives are people that are currently working in a job that does not benefit society; gold miners, diamond cutters, et cetera, fall under this category.
Sixes are people that work in culture-related jobs; photographers, journalists, producers, et cetera, fall under this category.
Sevens are people that benefit society through machines; engineers would fall under this category.
Eights are people that directly help society; doctors, nurses, farmers, et cetera, fall under this category.

There could be some fixes to this method, but the basic skeleton makes a lot of sense, and if we are in a crisis situation dealing with a lot of overpopulation, this method is viable.
[/quote]

Can't tell if serious.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1299809825' post='5065748']
[i]Can't tell if serious.[/i]

Totally serious. Why do you question my views, you rodent?
[/quote]

That's a bit uncalled for, eh?
Whatever.

I like your idea, though. But if we do go through a process of terraforming on the Moon, then less people would have to be killed.

Fortunately, you thought of children before saving the adults. Where would retired seniors go? I think you should put 'em at nine to fill that hole.

Retired seniors should be a four or a five because they have stopped contributing to society. The point of this numbering system is to get rid of people who don't contribute to society first, and make sure that people who do contribute to society are kept in the case of massive overpopulation.

Which is why college kids are tens and high school kids are theoretically elevens, because they will eventually make up the bulk of society.

[/quote]

Your numbering system fails.

Firstly, what gives you the right(or ability) to decide what a handicap is?
Secondly, at what point do people stop being morally relevant?
Thirdly, is there a distinction between mental handicap and mental diseases. For example, Autism is a mental handicap, however, there are many successful people who have autism.
Fourthly, why is unemployment such a high consideration? I mean, there is always going to be unemployment, even in a perfect society. Take a basic economics class. Since there will always be unemployment, that means that enough people would be eventually killed so that there is no society, but rather a group of people who are in competition with one another for resources.
Fifthly, how do we decide what benefits society and what doesn't? Sixthly, Why is culture relevant to reproduction? Just because something has a culture does not make it good. In fact, I would not value people who work at TMZ or other such companies very high.
Sixthly, there are many idiots in college who get in solely based on sports/parents throw money at the school, or for reverse discrimination.

There a lot easier methods of controlling population that does not involve eugenics. Things like free birth control to teenagers, better education about pregnancy and ways to prevent it, for example, instead of the pullout technique, they could try a condom. There should also be no aid sent to 3rd world countries. While this seems cruel, it helps the economy by keeping the money in circulation in the country, while also no longer continuing to fuel the barely livable conditions in places like Sudan and such. In short, killing off people because they do not meet some standard of your idealization of what a human should be is stupid, as it very flawed. And although I make a similar claim it is not the same thing, because instead of directly killing someone, you are simply refusing to let them to continue their meager existence.

[quote name='BehindTheMask' timestamp='1299818481' post='5066136']
Your numbering system fails.

Firstly, what gives you the right(or ability) to decide what a handicap is?
Secondly, at what point do people stop being morally relevant?
Thirdly, is there a distinction between mental handicap and mental diseases. For example, Autism is a mental handicap, however, there are many successful people who have autism.
Fourthly, why is unemployment such a high consideration? I mean, there is always going to be unemployment, even in a perfect society. Take a basic economics class. Since there will always be unemployment, that means that enough people would be eventually killed so that there is no society, but rather a group of people who are in competition with one another for resources.
Fifthly, how do we decide what benefits society and what doesn't? Sixthly, Why is culture relevant to reproduction? Just because something has a culture does not make it good. In fact, I would not value people who work at TMZ or other such companies very high.
Sixthly, there are many idiots in college who get in solely based on sports/parents throw money at the school, or for reverse discrimination.

There a lot easier methods of controlling population that does not involve eugenics. Things like free birth control to teenagers, better education about pregnancy and ways to prevent it, for example, instead of the pullout technique, they could try a condom. There should also be no aid sent to 3rd world countries. While this seems cruel, it helps the economy by keeping the money in circulation in the country, while also no longer continuing to fuel the barely livable conditions in places like Sudan and such. In short, killing off people because they do not meet some standard of your idealization of what a human should be is stupid, as it very flawed. And although I make a similar claim it is not the same thing, because instead of directly killing someone, you are simply refusing to let them to continue their meager existence.
[/quote]
Birth control has nothing to do with this subject. Even if it did then please look at your statistics because your ideals are false. Most teen pregnancies end in stillbirth or early infant death due to being premature because the girl's body is under developed. Killing off is the only way and America is doing that right now by putting chemicals in the water.

This may seem far fetched but I think its time for us humans to build space colonies around the Earth or we'll fall out of the Earth (literally) because of overpopulation, if they do make space colonies similar to Cowboy Bebop and Gundam, I would be the first one to populate that colony! I always dreamed of living in space.

[quote name='Masochistic Joker' timestamp='1299827593' post='5066270']
Birth control has nothing to do with this subject. Even if it did then please look at your statistics because your ideals are false. Most teen pregnancies end in stillbirth or early infant death due to being premature because the girl's body is under developed. Killing off is the only way and America is doing that right now by putting chemicals in the water.
[/quote]

Are you stupid? This is a serious question. If you can't see the correlation between BIRTH RATES and POPULATION then, no offense, you are stupid.

Here are some statistics:

* Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant.
* Billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children and they are more likely to be in the poverty bracket. On the flip side, millions of dollars are spent in prevention program
*Fifty-nine percent of pregnancies among 15–19-year-olds in 2006 ended in birth, and 27% in abortion.

So, every year(in America alone) there are 445,000 children that are born. FROM TEEN PREGNANCY ALONE.

In 2005(most recent year I could find), in America, 4,138,349 children were born. So, now we can see how that birthrates have a negative impact on overpopulation. And yes, many people do die in the United States, however more people are being born then are dying(if I remember correctly).

So, if the American population(and populations across the world) had better access to birth control, a good amount of the births would be cut down. If the United States were to adopt a 1-child policy, or even would reward parents who would like to adopt(by giving the money to cover the cost of adoption and cost of living) instead of getting pregnant, then we can cut birth rates more, while also giving those who were in orphanages a place to live.

I would love to see where you came up with the idea that America is putting chemicals in the water. I actually work with chemicals, and I know for a fact that chemicals are being properly disposed of.

Also, I lol'd when you said that my ideals are false, Mr. "Let's kill off a whole bunch of people even though there are still valid questions left unanswered that I ignored...in the same post that I quoted."

[quote name='Lance Corporal Atlas' timestamp='1299809692' post='5065739']
The population would naturally round itself off.
[/quote]
This guy knows what's up.

http://www.wimp.com/seventhbillion/

[/quote]

Lol@saying gold miners and diamond cutters should be ranked lower then photographers and journalists.

Where would you place a person with an education, who is currently unemployed? Or do you think having a college education is the only requirement for a job? Ignornace at its finest.

On-topic:

One question. For all those who are saying "Lawl! Overpopulation" what, in your opinion, is an acceptable number?

It may prolong wars, but the longest one so far was 116 years. (100 years war)

I remember doing Population theories in Geography.
Malthuis believed that once humans exceeded the amount of resources the planet has, the population would reduce as result. Alot of his tests for this theory, are actually already in motion such as wars over resources and famines.
Another theory has a more positive outlook. Esther Boserup, believed that 'necessity is the mother of invention', because if the resources are over maxed, we could for example come up with a way to grow more quickly like they have started in Japan. Also you can apply this to medicines, hence people live long.

I remember a stat that 'half of the people who have ever lived live now', I cannot remember where I heard this, knowing me QI.

Birth Control Policies, can lead to a male dominated population since females marry out of the family commonly, and it means the parents won't have that child to look after them (example China)

BehindTheMask, remember the richer countries are the ones that put them in debt. We also need to consider how much they contribute to world food markets. (Zimbabwe used to be a big contributor)

You could always do what they did in Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, spread chaos that the world is about to end, send the low level job people ahead and then forget them on purpose.

In extreme cases of overpopulation, a modified version of the Spartan system could be good.

Spartan version: Children where brought to the Gerousia (Council of Elders) when they where 7. The Gerousia then decided if they could stay alive. If the Gerousia decided to let the cild die, it was trowed in a ravine.

Now the modified version: Teenagers are brought to the Gerousia when they are 18. At the age of 18, the personality of people is developed. Then the Gerousia will decide, based on their comportment, criminal record and other factors, if the teenager can stay alive. If the Gerousia decide to let them die, they are anesthetized and then decapitated.

This system would be good because future criminals could be easy eliminated, before the commit their crimes.

I know, it's cruel...

Archived