Native/Local Dialects?

Icy

I'm sure all of you were raised with a specific Dialect of English or other variations of your Native Language. Which is kind of why I don't understand the whole "Do your best American Accent" thing. There are simply so many different forms, to call it American feels tragically inaccurate and overgeneralizing. But I digress.

Do you ever find it easier to understand things in the local/native dialect of your primary language rather than the generic formal variation? I sure know I do under most circumstances. Despite how much I claim to loathe it. Oh and when you post about it; please include a verbal or text example as well as name it and the subject matter.

[size="2"][b]My Time at my Psyche's Today - In Hawaiian Creole English/Pidgin[/b][/size]
[i][size="1"]Wen go dakine at 9:00am. Was kine'a chill brah, but fuka was ha'd to get up da mauna by da side of da hale a? Was gon catch one ride, but stay too much trouble. So wen dakine an hike'em. No mattah how many times wen do em stay jus as ha'd as was da firs time. So wen go but neva feel rai't, wen feel wrong. Tai'ad an a' dakine. Den one wahine wen walk out an call me inside. Nevah do much, a' she wen do was mumble an dakine, stay wen do da same. But fo some reason wen feel good. No idea why do'h. [/size][/i]

(And yes ._. I used light pidgin on that...)

Generic English is a lot different than dialect @_@

I'm from North Carolina, so I'm used to hearing phrases such as y'all and mash the button.

So, It's easier to understand when people say things like that, but not too hard... Unless it's generic English or, apparently, Hawaiin English ._.

Generic Quebecois accent is heard much less than thought. That's beause I live in the most English-speaking part of the province, though. There certainly are people with the accent, but it's much smaller than you may think. I don't have a noticeable dialect either, but I'm sure it's there.

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1300504107' post='5082196']
Authors who put their accent into their books blow, hard.
[/quote]

Apart from Arthur Miller. Tituba in The Crucible had a very accurately depicted accent.

One is from England, but most of my family were Irish Immigrants to Liverpool generations back. All of my family except my generation have Liverpudlian accents. My mother taught me English in the most accurate, proper way she could, so one speaks with Received Pronunciation. In other words, one has a very posh voice. One says "I shall" instead of "I will" ("I shall" is grammatically accurate, "I will" is not) and as you may have noticed, "one" instead of "I" (force of habit). One used to type "I" but it was somewhat of a struggle so one just gave up and started typing as one would speak.

I was learnt the Cockney Slang from a young age. I still know most of it today and often mention such things as a Score (£20) a Bullseye (£50) and even my personal fave a Lady Godiva (£5 or a Fiver)

EDIT: Just did a little research on Lady Godiva. She was a Naked Woman with long hair who rode on a horse! lol Wow I learn something new every day :3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva

[quote name='J-Max' timestamp='1300630007' post='5084943']
EDIT: Just did a little research on Lady Godiva. She was a Naked Woman with long hair who rode on a horse! lol Wow I learn something new every day :3
[/quote]

No you learn that at like age 5. And it was completely made up (ish.. she was generous and rich but did no immodest riding or anything of that sort). =/ It's even said so right in the wiki article that you yourself linked.

All things else, I've always found that Cockney Dialect both interesting and hilarious.

I grew up in a middle-class part of London with an extremely smart and posh-talking father and a middle-class mother. So yeah, my accent is English / London-sounding and my dialect is middle-class English mixed in with a bit of slang.

E.g.
"Aaron, f*** you cuz', you're such a snake, don't cheat on your girlfriend" - That being a heavy use of slang.

Archived