So I'd like to get better at this game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Welche' timestamp='1321160166' post='5636826']
Okay I'll explain how to make a good deck (and even at least seem like an actual better player). I will separate it into a few steps.[list=1]
[*]The first thing you need to do is pick a deck you want to make. This is by far the most important step. You need to pick a deck that you enjoy enough that it is constant fun for you even after using it a lot. If you pick a deck that isn't fun, you will get bored of it and will never perfect the deck. Here it is important to note that not every deck can really be good. You need to pick one that seems to have the cards necessary to become good. Draw power helps, swarm helps, beatsticks help. Just make sure it has some feature you think you can exploit, which leads well into...
[*]Figure out how you will build the deck. Any decktype can generally be built in a wide variety of ways and each will be quite different. The best way to pick is just look at the cards and try to see what the playstyle for the deck should naturally be. Over time, it could easily morph into a different deck altogether, but starting with a basic idea of how you will build the deck is important.
[*]Make a first draft build. Now you are finally making the deck. Here you can look into the wikia for advice of cool techs you might consider, or just come up with some yourself. Note that these aren't necessary but techs do make your deck more creative. Be sure to include staples and such.
[*]Test the draft. Play a few duels before you make any changes to get a good idea what is effective and what isn't. After one duel, a card may be dead but in many more the card will be alive and oh so helpful. Find out what your good matches are and what your bad matches are.
[*]Rebuild the deck. Now you have the knowledge to remake the deck. Take the cards that are consistently dead and remove them. Add more of cards you want more of. Consider new cards. With the info on matches you now have the ability to build up a side deck to make your deck capable of winning complete matches.
[*]Repeat steps 4 and 5 forever and ever.
[*]Come on YCM and act like an arrogant douche, while revealing your superior knowledge on this deck so that YCM eventually comes to see you are the best at building the deck on the site
[/list]
Congratulations, you now seem smart.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I do, especially number 7.

Of course, when you do get better, Welche's method goes by much quicker than it looks. If you want to improve a certain deck, then it's probably the best method there is. However, if you're like me you don't like having only one deck that can perform. Learn what cards are effective from memory, look at what the good players use, etc. If you ever want help I'm fine to help through pm or msn, preferably the latter.

Also, theory is very important, but it's not everything.

You see byakk? He has the best theory on yugioh in this site. He said once that when it comes to the actual dueling, it's not on the high level of his theory knowledge (doesn't mean he duels averagely, theory helps A LOT on practice too). Some other people here have less theory, but are better in practice.

Bottom line is, you need to improve on both theory and practice. People gave you advice on theory (basically deckbuilding), but nobody can help you more on practice than yourself.

Rodrigo makes a good point, but theory also plays a huge part in practice. Being able to piece together your opponent's deck so you know how and when to use your cards is one of the most important parts of the game. If your opponent's running Lightsworns, you'd much rather Warning the upcoming JD than waste it on a Wulf you can dispose of next turn. But it also let's you know how conservative or aggressive you can play.

Also, you can't think that only if you play meta decks, you'll win. I made that mistake before.

Klavier rarely uses a deck on meta-level, and he's good both in theory and practice. I'd say his theory is even better than his practice too.

Like yesterday, he had that epic win using a Karakuri deck that is not even the best version. To make the deck, he considered all of his options (theory) and tested them (practice).

[quote name='-Noel-' timestamp='1321188833' post='5637146']
Also, you can't think that only if you play meta decks, you'll win. I made that mistake before.

Klavier rarely uses a deck on meta-level, and he's good both in theory and practice. I'd say his theory is even better than his practice too.

Like yesterday, he had that epic win using a Karakuri deck that is not even the best version. To make the deck, he considered all of his options (theory) and tested them (practice).
[/quote]
Aww <3

But yeah, thinking mainstream will lead you nowhere. People kept telling me standard Karakuri is far superior to KMP and that KMP is inconsistent. Still picked it for the tourney. And you see how well it does so far.

What people are saying about focusing on one deck is wrong. Learn everything about every deck, so you know what to expect so you can prepare for it. I found that after I took a gap from the game, I came back with exactly the same skills but found it harder because I didn't know what to do against the new stuff and ended up failing to counter my opponent's plays. Basically, the way to do it is to expect the expected, because, as you'd expect, it is expected that you will play against it at some point. Make a good deck that has abilities to counter the meta or that IS meta, then just practice against every expected deck to find good and bad match-ups and then build the side deck more heavily based on countering bad match ups. Also watch good players playing the same deck or a similar deck to you so you can find out new stuff to do with it. Also, always think about advantage.

Also Jesus Christ this site has changed. Before, this would have just been trolled like hell, but constructive advice has actually been given. I'm bored of this sensibleness.

[quote name='Horus' timestamp='1321189044' post='5637152']
Would general YCM consensus be that theory is more important than practice?

I just want to see what you guys think.
[/quote]

Theory is the beginning of a good practice, but you can't just know every card, every combo, if you can't put it together on action.

[quote name='-Makoto-' timestamp='1321189169' post='5637159']
Archfiend, it's really better to focus on one deck at time. If you feel you're good enough with it, move to another one. Don't take care of 3-4 at once.
[/quote]

This.

Basically, you will want to know all of the possibilities of the decks, to time your counters and plays better. But how can you do so, if you're not the master of your deck?

[quote name='-Noel-' timestamp='1321189095' post='5637156']
Theory is the beginning of a good practice, but you can't just know every card, every combo, if you can't put it together on action.
[/quote]
So, in a way, theory is simply the beginning to mastering the all-important-practice, yes?

I actually share this belief. I know when people talk about sports, they know who is good and what is good, but maybe they can't play themselves, which is most likely the case. Yu-Gi-Oh! is obviously different, because it isn't really a spectator sport. What I mean by that is that most people that are interested in Yu-Gi-Oh! play the game itself, not just watch it.

In Yu-Gi-Oh!, knowing all the tricks is useless unless you can actually use them. Learn all these small points, Shard. Knowledge is power in Yu-Gi-Oh!, but you can't use bullets without a gun. inb4badmetaphor

Although I can't really say I'm a good player at all, practice practice practice is the way to go in YGO(oh lol a rhyme), as well as everything else. No one starts out as a pro, they get good by years and years of playing. So just keep dueling and editing your deck, and you'll eventually become better. I should know, because I need to practice more myself. At my current rate, I'll stay a n00b forever. And if you don't practice, you'll stay one forever too.

[quote name='-Noel-' timestamp='1321190294' post='5637197']
Plus, the best players should like to share their knowledge, so that YCM improves.

*points to above poster* He's helping me a lot, I mean, I basically learned how to properly play with him, and I'm sure he could help others too ;3
[/quote]
Aww <3

Well, as I keep telling to my friends, as long as someone actually listens, I'm willing to teach anything.

I hate to sound like a douche/ass/retard/etc, but all I do to get better is lurk, duel higher level people, and take their advice. In terms of the one deck thing, it shouldn't matter to you since you're rich, but make sure you research it beforehand to see if it's your style or if you'll like it. Oh yeah, everyone else's advice is amazing too. In terms of siding, yugioh is like a fighting game in that area. If you wanna side against other, better decks, learn how they play.

I only read page 1, so don't attack me if I repeated stuff.

Some generic guidelines...
1. Get your ass kicked as much as possible. Losing is a good thing while playing casually. If your memory isn't great, write down which Decks you dueled against, why you lost every time you lose and why you won every time you won. It's not a bad thing to ask your opponents what they think about your Deck after the Duel. Using these "statistics", figure out which elements seem to slow your Deck down, and what your Deck needs in order to defeat difficult matchups. This strategy is also very usefull to construct your Side Deck once your main Deck is complete.
2. Try to socialize with Judges as much as possible. I'm not saying you should visit Disney World together, but going for a drink together after a tournament isn't a bad thing. It's not uncommon to have nothing in common with those people, so discussing card games might be the only thing to keep conversations going. It's just like a forum, but in real life! You'll pick a lot of stuff up by just listening.
3. Become a Judge. You don't have to know sh*t about the game to do so, and they'll probably invite you to Judge a YCS soon. You might think that, after 12 hours of card game-related work everyone's going straight to bed, but at YCS Paris many of the judges stayed up till 2 or 3 in the morning to discuss whatever happened and to play card games. Plus, during the event itself you'll be forced to explain basic game mechanics over and over again. (I once had to explain that MST can't negate a Torrential which couldn't be activated in respnse to Jinzo's Summon.)
4. Attend Sneak Peeks. It's the most efficient way to get to know the new sets.
5. Don't troll, think.
6. ???
7. Profit.

[quote name='LarryCotter' timestamp='1321190967' post='5637213']
Some generic guidelines...
1. Get your ass kicked as much as possible. Losing is a good thing while playing casually. If your memory isn't great, write down which Decks you dueled against, why you lost every time you lose and why you won every time you won. It's not a bad thing to ask your opponents what they think about your Deck after the Duel. Using these "statistics", figure out which elements seem to slow your Deck down, and what your Deck needs in order to defeat difficult matchups. This strategy is also very usefull to construct your Side Deck once your main Deck is complete.
2. Try to socialize with Judges as much as possible. I'm not saying you should visit Disney World together, but going for a drink together after a tournament isn't a bad thing. It's not uncommon to have nothing in common with those people, so discussing card games might be the only thing to keep conversations going. It's just like a forum, but in real life! You'll pick a lot of stuff up by just listening.
3. Become a Judge. You don't have to know sh*t about the game to do so, and they'll probably invite you to Judge a YCS soon. You might think that, after 12 hours of card game-related work everyone's going straight to bed, but at YCS Paris many of the judges stayed up till 2 or 3 in the morning to discuss whatever happened and to play card games. Plus, during the event itself you'll be forced to explain basic game mechanics over and over again. (I once had to explain that MST can't negate a Torrential which couldn't be activated in respnse to Jinzo's Summon.)
4. Attend Sneak Peeks. It's the most efficient way to get to know the new sets.
5. Don't troll, think.
6. ???
7. Profit.
[/quote]

at number 1 i never get my ass kiked
i havnt lost ever

Archived