So I'd like to get better at this game.

So, as the topic title says, I'm bored of being bad at the game and feeling like an idiot. First off I'm going to apologize for all my stupid behavior on YCM. I suppose maturity is a good start.

Anyway, I'd like to get better at the game to the point I can be considered "average" by YCM standards. Is there any guide on the Internet anywhere? I know the basic and to a certian extent advanced rules(missing the timing etc)

Problem is I actually fail incredibly hard at the game. The fact I'm awful at deck building doesn't help. I just generally want to get better at the game.

So yea. I doubt this topic will survive for 5 minutes before being torn apart by trolls, but ehh it's ycm, what can you do.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Yuzuru Otonashi' timestamp='1321158355' post='5636772']
Focus on one deck.

Whether it's meta or not, focus on it.

Work on it, use staples, and try to come up with cards that work with the deck, that you've seen, whether others used them or not.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box.
[/quote]
bad advise stuff and stuff

[quote name='Shard' timestamp='1321158499' post='5636778']
Fortune Ladies it is then.
[/quote]
That's only for building, though.

Pay attention to the meta and such, too, to learn what other big decks there are, and good combo cards in general, like Tour Guide.

You, yourself, focus on makign the one deck better, while keepign an eye on everything else.

I didn't elaborate well enough ^^;

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1321158588' post='5636781']
Now research and test like hell.
[/quote]
Thiiiiis

[quote name='Shard' timestamp='1321158054' post='5636756']
So, as the topic title says, I'm bored of being bad at the game and feeling like an idiot. First off I'm going to apologize for all my stupid behavior on YCM. I suppose maturity is a good start.

Anyway, I'd like to get better at the game to the point I can be considered "average" by YCM standards. Is there any guide on the Internet anywhere? I know the basic and to a certian extent advanced rules(missing the timing etc)

Problem is I actually fail incredibly hard at the game. The fact I'm awful at deck building doesn't help. I just generally want to get better at the game.

So yea. I doubt this topic will survive for 5 minutes before being torn apart by trolls, but ehh it's ycm, what can you do.
[/quote]

Everyone starts out with next to nil skill and experience. It's a long road to becoming good. I know that I only became "good" in the past year or so, and I've been playing for about 7 years. I played a lot of the World Championship, so I started getting a hang of strategies and what cards were better. When I started understanding more advanced information like rulings, Effects, and card advantage, I advanced from there.

I'm not a fantastic deck builder, but I have a tendency to get lucky with some builds and improve the card selection and strategy through testing. I've adapted strategies I've seen others use to great effect. In fact, my current strongest deck was built based on my own design, and improved through testing.

Duel plenty of people. If you're ever unsure about something your opponent has done or vise versa, make sure to have questions and look up rulings and techniques afterwards. Take note of other people's card usages and techniques.

Simply put: practice, practice, practice.

That's about all I can give for advice, since that's how it worked out for me. I turned from noob to what I hope is slightly advanced, both in dueling and deck making, in a few months by dueling on DN.

Okay I'll explain how to make a good deck (and even at least seem like an actual better player). I will separate it into a few steps.[list=1]
[*]The first thing you need to do is pick a deck you want to make. This is by far the most important step. You need to pick a deck that you enjoy enough that it is constant fun for you even after using it a lot. If you pick a deck that isn't fun, you will get bored of it and will never perfect the deck. Here it is important to note that not every deck can really be good. You need to pick one that seems to have the cards necessary to become good. Draw power helps, swarm helps, beatsticks help. Just make sure it has some feature you think you can exploit, which leads well into...
[*]Figure out how you will build the deck. Any decktype can generally be built in a wide variety of ways and each will be quite different. The best way to pick is just look at the cards and try to see what the playstyle for the deck should naturally be. Over time, it could easily morph into a different deck altogether, but starting with a basic idea of how you will build the deck is important.
[*]Make a first draft build. Now you are finally making the deck. Here you can look into the wikia for advice of cool techs you might consider, or just come up with some yourself. Note that these aren't necessary but techs do make your deck more creative. Be sure to include staples and such.
[*]Test the draft. Play a few duels before you make any changes to get a good idea what is effective and what isn't. After one duel, a card may be dead but in many more the card will be alive and oh so helpful. Find out what your good matches are and what your bad matches are.
[*]Rebuild the deck. Now you have the knowledge to remake the deck. Take the cards that are consistently dead and remove them. Add more of cards you want more of. Consider new cards. With the info on matches you now have the ability to build up a side deck to make your deck capable of winning complete matches.
[*]Repeat steps 4 and 5 forever and ever.
[*]Come on YCM and act like an arrogant douche, while revealing your superior knowledge on this deck so that YCM eventually comes to see you are the best at building the deck on the site
[/list]
Congratulations, you now seem smart.

Archived